[NFBSea] Rooted in Rights wants to collaborate

Anna Letitia Zivarts annaz at rootedinrights.org
Mon Feb 18 20:45:10 UTC 2019

I was hoping to make it this weekend to the meeting to meet more of the
Seattle NFB folks in person, but ended up being down in Olympia instead.
There's a couple of opportunities I wanted to highlight where Rooted in
Rights is looking to highlight the experiences and expertise of the blind
community.

*Snow Removal*
First, in response to how Seattle has handled the recent snow storm, we are
collecting stories from disabled people who weren't able to leave their
homes or get to where they needed to go because the city didn't ensure
sidewalks, curb ramps or bus stops were cleared in a timely matter. If you
were impacted by this, and would like to share your story, please let me
know. We are hoping to get the City to agree to develop a snow removal
strategy that takes into account the needs of disabled Seattleites.

*Audio Description/ #WhyDescribe Project*
We are looking for blind and low vision folks to participate in a video
where we talk about how we use social media and what people who produce
videos for social media should do to make sure low vision and blind people
can enjoy their video content. This is specifically a project about video
for social media - so we're looking for people who are active on those
platforms and want to talk about what works for them and what could be done
better. This is part of our efforts to make alt text and audio description
mainstream. Here's an example of a video we did on Alt Text:
https://twitter.com/rootedinrights/status/1073663651947692032P

*Parenting Without Pity*

How many of us raised in isolation from other disabled people wish we could
have built connections with the disability community earlier in our lives? What
if we could change that for the next generation? We believe disabled
children are much more likely to develop the confidence and skills they
need to advocate for themselves and feel pride in their disabled identity
if their non-disabled parents can interact and learn from the disabled
community.

We are currently collecting stories from disabled parents. These will form
the basis of an online resource for parents of disabled children. We also
plan to facilitate presentations featuring disabled parents to create ties
between disabled and non-disabled parents to share resources, discuss
identity and create a greater positive community of support and belonging
for kids with disabilities.

If you are a disabled parent and would like to share your story, let me
know. You can read more about the project and hear from other parents on
our website, here: https://rootedinrights.org/parents.
*Payment*
If you agree to share your story for one of our projects, we'll arrange a
time to film you. That could either be in our office in the International
District (right by the Sounder/Link stop), or we can come to you. We can
pay $50 for your participation in one of the videos, and can also reimburse
$20 for transportation.

Let me know if you have questions about any of these project.

Thanks!
Anna

*Anna Zivarts*
Program Director, Rooted in Rights
Pronouns: she/her

Disability Rights Washington
315 5th Ave S, Ste 850
Seattle, WA 98104
206.324.1521 (office)
718.710.1773 (cell)

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/rootedinrights/> | Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/rootedinrights/?hl=en> | YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/user/RootedInRightsVideo/featured> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/rootedinrights> | Blog <http://www.rootedinrights.org/>

Rooted in Rights tells authentic, accessible stories that create change.
Disability Rights are Our Rights!

Rooted in Rights is a project of Disability Rights Washington (DRW). DRW is
a private non-profit organization that protects the rights of people with
disabilities statewide. Our mission is to advance the dignity, equality,
and self-determination of people with disabilities. We work to pursue
justice on matters related to human and legal rights.

The contents of this message and any attachment(s) may contain confidential
or privileged information. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
unauthorized use of the contents of this message is prohibited and doing so
may destroy the confidential nature of the communication. If you have
received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or
distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to
this message or phoning us.