[NFBSea] Rooted in Rights wants to collaborate

Anna Letitia Zivarts annaz at rootedinrights.org
Wed Feb 20 23:06:01 UTC 2019

Thank you Cynthia for the endorsement!

Here's some more background on us:

Rooted in Rights is a video and social media advocacy program of Disability
Rights Washington (DRW) led by people with disabilities. In the spirit of
the disability community’s motto, “Nothing About Us Without Us,” we believe
that disabled people should be the ones writing, producing, shooting and
editing our own stories. We tell authentic, accessible stories to challenge
stigma and redefine narratives around disability, mental health and chronic
illness.

Our Seattle-based team <https://www.rootedinrights.org/about/staff/> of
disabled video producers, writers, editors and digital organizers partner
with both local coalitions and national advocacy campaigns to fight for
concrete changes for our community. We also provide creative services to
select clients that align with our mission and values.

As Cynthia mentioned, we are currently very active in trying to get the
legislature to support traffic camera legislation to stop drivers from
blocking the box. We're also organizing a Twitter chat next week (more
details soon!) with NFB national and Marci to highlight the subminimum wage
legislation, both there in at hte national level (and in other states).

In addition to these advocacy efforts, we're starting a campaign to make
sure the city does a better job of clearing snow/ice from sidewalks/bus
stops. We are hoping to have city council convene a hearing about the
city's response to our last snow event, and so we're looking for stories
from disabled folks about how they were impacted and what the city could
have done better.

I've also copied below some more information on the other two campaigns
we're engaged with - #WhyDescribe - our accessible digital media campaign,
and Parenting Without Pity.
I'm happy to answer any other specific questions on those campaigns.

Creating and Advocating for Accessible Digital and Online Content: Video
has quickly become the most popular medium to share online content. It is
important to ensure that we include people with sensory disabilities by
setting standards for fully accessible digital and online content. Rooted
in Rights includes captions, audio description, image descriptions, and
transcripts to ensure access, and we advocate for other creators and
digital platforms to prioritize accessible digital spaces. We are beginning
a series of social media videos that explore digital accessibility, the
first of which we launched in December, Alt Text in 60 Seconds
<https://rootedinrights.org/video/alt-text-in-60-seconds/>. We will also
share our knowledge about how to create accessible media at conferences and
events, both for the disability community and for other creators of digital
content.

Parenting Without Pity: Disabled children are much more likely to develop
the confidence and skills they need to advocate for themselves and feel
pride in their disabled identity if their non-disabled parents can interact
and learn from the disabled community. To support this, we are producing a
storytelling resource <http://www.rootedinrights.org/parents> for disabled
parents to educate parents of disabled children. We are currently recording
25+ in-depth interviews with disabled parents from around the world. These
will form the basis of an online resource for parents of disabled children,
which will also include blog posts and links to other resources. We also
plan to facilitate presentations featuring disabled parents to create ties
between disabled and non-disabled parents to share resources, discuss
identity and create a greater positive community of support and belonging
for kids with disabilities.

*Anna Zivarts*
Program Director, Rooted in Rights
Pronouns: she/her

Disability Rights Washington
315 5th Ave S, Ste 850
Seattle, WA 98104
206.324.1521 (office)
718.710.1773 (cell)

Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/rootedinrights/> | Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/rootedinrights/?hl=en> | YouTube
<https://www.youtube.com/user/RootedInRightsVideo/featured> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/rootedinrights> | Blog <http://www.rootedinrights.org/>

Rooted in Rights tells authentic, accessible stories that create change.
Disability Rights are Our Rights!

Rooted in Rights is a project of Disability Rights Washington (DRW). DRW is
a private non-profit organization that protects the rights of people with
disabilities statewide. Our mission is to advance the dignity, equality,
and self-determination of people with disabilities. We work to pursue
justice on matters related to human and legal rights.

The contents of this message and any attachment(s) may contain confidential
or privileged information. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
unauthorized use of the contents of this message is prohibited and doing so
may destroy the confidential nature of the communication. If you have
received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or
distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to
this message or phoning us.