[NFBSea] King County passes ordinance ending subminimum wages

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 15 05:15:17 UTC 2019

I am very excited to share that the King County Council voted unanimously this week to adopt an ordinance stating that the county government will never pay any disabled employee less than minimum wage and that King County will not contract with any entity which pays sub-minimum wages. While king County currently pays all disabled workers at least the minimum wage thus ordinance makes an important statement about the value of all county and contracted workers.

King County is now only the 2nd county in the country to pass such an ordinance. Honolulu County passed a similar ordinance last year.

County Council members have told us they will help promote adoption of our national Legislation. This will become official when the council sets forth its national legislative priorities at the beginning of 2020.

We have many strong allies among County Council members who believe in the rights of blind and other disabled workers and who share many of our values.

Sent from Marci's iPhone