[NFBSea] FW: Covering Elections in a COVID-19 World

jacobstruiksma at gmail.com jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 04:01:59 UTC 2020

Passing on for your information.

Covering Elections in a COVID-19 World

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDAsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL2NvbnRlbnQuZ292ZGVsaXZlcnkuY29tL2FjY291bnRzL1dBS0lORy9idWxsZXRpbnMv
Mjk2M2ZiNiJ9.UHe5rCUlu5_XkSXL8FHvobTDcQ3_QPCuxyAlxMKaJkE/s/9192615/br/812085
85107-l> .

Dear Media Partners,

We believe it's more important than ever to support transparent, accurate
coverage of elections and the voting process - and we are very grateful for
all the work you do to make that happen. We also want to make sure everyone
stays healthy and safe during this Primary Voting season. To that end, we
wanted to share a few new protocols, opportunities for coverage, and changes
you can expect to see in our services.

Changes to our Facility. If you come in-person to our facility in Renton you
will see quite a few changes. We've installed lockers in our check-in room
for contactless storage of bags and coats; teams and process have changed
locations (for example our phonebank is working entirely remote); hallways
and walkways are now one directional; our HVAC system has been upgraded;
and, there are lots and lots of barriers and plexiglass.

Most importantly, we are trying to limit the number of people going in and
out of the building as much as possible and asking those coming into the
building to observe some new protocols.

What this means for you

*	We are limiting access to one camera crew at a time on the second
floor and are strongly encouraging media to schedule in advance if they
would like to visit the ballot processing floor or do an interview onsite.
Please reach out to  <mailto:hawatkins at kingcounty.gov>
hawatkins at kingcounty.gov or call 206-477-4111 to schedule time or get more
information.
*	If you are planning to enter the building either for an interview or
b-roll, we will be requiring masks and temperature screens. The temperature
screen kiosk is set-up at the front of the lobby and is very quick, but
because we will also be screening all staff and observers, there may be a
little more traffic than usual.
*	We will still be providing pink "media" lanyards to anyone visiting
the ballot processing floor but our check-in team will distribute them in
the lobby and they will be sanitized between each use.

Curbside Service at our Two
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDEsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL2tpbmdjb3VudHkuZ292L2RlcHRzL2VsZWN0aW9ucy9ob3ctdG8tdm90ZS9iYWxsb3Rz
L3JldHVybmluZy1teS1iYWxsb3Qvdm90ZS1jZW50ZXJzLmFzcHgifQ.SDybd1ckSeM4y2o4bnl_o
xe1s5AEDvPolqpYGLoYDfY/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l> Vote Center Locations.
The Vote Center at our headquarters in Renton is now open and our
CenturyLink Field location will be open Saturday, August 1, Monday, August 3
and Tuesday, August 4. Both sites will be offering curbside service to keep
voters and staff as socially distant as possible. This means we will be
running replacement ballots out to cars, using sanitized clipboards for
voter registration forms, and providing ample space to allow voters to use
accessible voting machines while socially distanced. All voters will be
required to wear a mask unless they have a disability or medical condition
that prohibits them from doing so.

What this means for you

*	Our curbside/outdoor Vote Centers may be a great opportunity for
coverage and we will have staff onsite to do interviews at both locations on
Election Day. We are, of course, happy to do interviews at other times but
request you schedule in advance.

*	New Tools. Because we expect media coverage and observation will be
more limited, we have taken a few steps to hopefully mitigate that impact.
These include -

*	We've added and upgraded our
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDIsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL2tpbmdjb3VudHkuZ292L2RlcHRzL2VsZWN0aW9ucy9hYm91dC11cy9zZWN1cml0eS1h
bmQtYWNjb3VudGFiaWxpdHkvd2F0Y2gtdXMtaW4tYWN0aW9uLmFzcHgifQ.KSqQgVtgA9Xegd6P9
b1fIy1-nkoshwPdGwLbrpHuplc/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l> livestream webcams to
provide better and more opportunities to observe ballot processing from the
safety of your home. We are working with our IT team to provide a way to tap
directly into the feed as well. If your outlet is interested in that as an
option, please reach out to  <mailto:hawatkins at kingcounty.gov>
hawatkins at kingcounty.gov for the link and instructions.
*	Virtual interviews with Director Wise. While Director Wise will be
onsite frequently throughout the election, she and the rest of our
communications team will be also be following the clear direction from King
County Public Health and the Executive that employees work remotely when
possible. If it isn't possible to do an onsite interview, we are happy to
make her or another member of the communications team available virtually.

We hope this is helpful as you start planning your Primary Election
coverage. As always, please don't hesitate to reach out (206-477-4111) if
you have questions or need additional information.

  _____

Contact:

Halei Watkins

Communications Officer

206-477-4111

hawatkins at kingcounty.gov

Get Social with us

<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDMsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwOi8vd3d3LmtjZWxlY3Rpb25zLmNvbSJ9.ezHrFzBFSrww8kLADuQXv_qUDnN0XcfUnKZCi3T
nAjA/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDQsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwOi8vd3d3LnR3aXR0ZXIuY29tL2tjZWxlY3Rpb25zIn0.sbqcIcebNbHrKhfGK0vxHUI9nwyJ
SKIFSOIdpekwkHk/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDUsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwOi8vd3d3LmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbS9rY2VsZWN0aW9ucyJ9.wTBc1sbVZnLRrgWDYGk2R5b8F8M
-jW5iZlq1-jFLfFE/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDYsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwOi8vd3d3Lmluc3RhZ3JhbS5jb20va2NlbGVjdGlvbnMifQ.HZl_JBtvqpmMZkWVidbdqwXqy
e1YRHxY9mZkJn5_xx8/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDcsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwOi8vd3d3LnNuYXBjaGF0LmNvbS9hZGQva2NlbGVjdGlvbnMifQ.4gFNzghDV-TVs_iN9_gSp
Z_bdM_5--EBSf7jaMXSLOA/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>

Update your preferences or unsubscribe. If you have questions about this
service, you may
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDgsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwOi8vYmx1ZS5raW5nY291bnR5Lmdvdi9hYm91dC9jb250YWN0LyJ9.ophhMoYXrrXEJYplTP7
WdHM_bI59DJFyvjKv8BbLfQg/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l> contact us directly or
search
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDksInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL3N1YnNjcmliZXJoZWxwLmdvdmRlbGl2ZXJ5LmNvbS9oYy9lbi11cyJ9.BiYE1pE9eoz
AoA-4_nFjD9H1Q60ddE72XHleKgMmTl8/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l> FAQs here.
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMTAsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwOi8vd3d3Lmtpbmdjb3VudHkuZ292L2Fib3V0L3dlYnNpdGUvcHJpdmFjeS5hc3B4In0.RM1h
gpWFqAl40htQtakhgXmA1wOsZXbriqrTgPTTZas/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l> View
King County's privacy policy.

<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMTEsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL3d3dy5raW5nY291bnR5Lmdvdi8ifQ.SzF_wW21wWar46-93b9n3aR3sSvMqohP3gipL
N8R4MM/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>

<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMTIsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL3d3dy5mYWNlYm9vay5jb20vS2luZ0NvdW50eVdBLyJ9.vv_jXzbBUIDCT_i08EpusJO
Ps9H0tBwvhYmFSjYOdtc/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMTMsInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL3R3aXR0ZXIuY29tL0tpbmdDb3VudHlXQSJ9.Y5N6l1Y71Ei9rid0TZzviQEXlE4_Wr1
22AkWtYRteEU/s/9192615/br/81208585107-l>

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page
<https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMTksInVy
aSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMDA3MTcuMjQ1NjI1MDEiLCJ1cmwiOiJo
dHRwczovL2NvbnRlbnQuZ292ZGVsaXZlcnkuY29tL2FjY291bnRzL1dBS0lORy9idWxsZXRpbnMv
Mjk2M2ZiNiJ9.dy6qJgJuZ3NRt8bCUox1ipp22o8KIs7Ig-UYr7W5_UQ/s/9192615/br/812085
85107-l> .

.