[NFBSea] {Spam?} Launching a new Disability Mobility Initiative!

Anna Letitia Zivarts annaz at rootedinrights.org
Thu Sep 17 20:35:44 UTC 2020

Hello NFB Seattle!

I have some exciting news - we are launching a new Disability Mobility
Initiative <https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/programs/disabilitymobility/>
 at Disability Rights Washington!

Our communities have been designed around the automobile as transportation,
and for those of us who cannot drive or cannot afford to drive, this
creates major barriers for us to access school, jobs, doctor’s
appointments, grocery stores, religious services and everything else we
need to get to in order to participate fully in our communities.

Our goal is to organize a broad coalition of people who lack access to cars
from communities throughout Washington State, with the intention of
shifting the collective narrative that only drivers in Washington State
have mobility needs worth prioritizing.

We want to encourage people who can’t drive or don’t have regular access to
a car to connect with us so we can lift up our issues and organize
together. We have a couple of ways to get involved:

   -

   Take our short survey <https://bit.ly/2RrEdCJ>.
   -

   Sign up to do a half-hour phone or video interview with us. We are
   offering a $50 stipend. You can sign up through the survey
   <https://bit.ly/2RrEdCJ>, by emailing annaz at dr-wa.org, or by calling
   206.324.1521 x 242.
   -

   Text BETTER to 21000
   -

   Join our Facebook group <https://bit.ly/3k5uttT> or Google discussion
   <subscribe+dismobility at googlegroups.com> group to talk with other
   transit-dependent Washingtonians.

You can also join us at these upcoming events!

September 24

Director Anna Zivarts will be part of a panel discussion
<https://myemail.constantcontact.com/SAVE-THE-DATE--How-Racial-and-Class-Disparities-Created-a-Silent-Epidemic-of-Pedestrian-Deaths-in-America--Thursday--Sept-24th-W.html?soid=1102306387692&aid=YzIZUGGq2X8>
with Angie Schmitt, author of Right of Way: How Racial and Class
Disparities Created a Silent Epidemic of Pedestrian Deaths in America.
10:15am-noon.

September 30

We are co-hosting a transit storytelling workshop
<https://transportationchoices.org/event-interactive-storytelling-workshop/>
with Asian Counseling and Referral Services, Hopelink, King County Mobility
Coalition, Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness and Transportation
Choices. 10-11:30am.

September 30

Director Anna Zivarts to present at Micromobility.io webinar
<https://micromobility.io/webinars/2020/9/17/beyond-bike-lanes-building-a-blueprint-for-micromobility-cities>
Beyond
Bike Lanes: Building a Blueprint for Micromobility Cities.
<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_71ZIrGDUQ4ONd9bZY_Ej9w>
12-1pm.

September 30

Our intern Blake Geyen to win award for his work with us advocating for the
missing sidewalk to the Tacoma Election Center. Pierce County Trails
Conference
<https://www.forevergreentrails.org/pierce-county-trails-conference>, 2-4pm.

October 2

Disability Rights Washington Annual Fundraiser. You can sign up to join us
virtually, no donation required, but if you have the means, please consider
donating
<https://disabilityrightswa.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/BreakingBarriers2020/Fundraising/tabid/1172380/Default.aspx?joinme=423429#.X1lQzjSwVAQ.twitter>
to support our work and the launch of this exciting program! 5-6pm.

October 7

Director Anna Zivarts to keynote at the Washington Bike, Walk and Roll
Summit. Register here! <https://www.cascade.org/summit> It’s now free,
thanks to a generous sponsorship by WSDOT. 12:30-1:30pm.

Anna Zivarts

She/her

Director, Disability Mobility Initiative
<https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/programs/disabilitymobility/>

Disability Rights Washington

315 5th Ave S, Ste 850

Seattle, WA 98104