[NFBSea] FW: Seattle Hubs Winter 2021 Newsletter

jacobstruiksma at gmail.com jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 05:28:54 UTC 2021

Passing on for your information.

Seattle Hubs Winter 2021 Newsletter

 <https://mailchi.mp/7b182b4b5d0f/seattle-hubs-winter-2021-newsletter?e=b2be958f13> View this email in your browser

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/cc44c29e-d0ec-4590-a53c-ff4f50583aa2.png>

Seattle Emergency Communications Hubs

Anniversary of the Nisqually and Japan Earthquakes

Feb 28 is the 20th anniversary of the Nisqually earthquake here in Seattle.  March 11 is the 10th anniversary of Japan’s Sendai earthquake.  There will no doubt be media coverage to mark both events.  While the smaller 6.8 magnitude Nisqually quake has faded from memory, the 9.0 magnitude Sendai earthquake serves are the more current reminder of how devastating the larger earthquakes can be.

We live in an area at risk for seismic activity, from the Seattle Fault and Cascadia Subduction Zone and other earthquake fault lines. Please make time to learn more and take active steps to be prepared.  if you, your family, friends and neighbors are prepared to be self-reliant for 2 weeks afterwards, we can make it through a large disaster together.  Visit this comprehensive webpage at the  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=5cb96ea7a9&e=b2be958f13> City of Seattle to take those steps. There is an upcoming on-line free series of short classes you can take, see below in Upcoming Training for the full listing. The City also has a way to get emergency alerts, sign up at  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=8921b2eed3&e=b2be958f13> AlertSeattle.gov .

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/c02baa89-99de-4618-bf8b-59058eb7393b.jpg>

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/13f3e261-59e7-4ac6-8503-7437df3a6b65.jpg>

Covid-19 and Preparedness

Like everyone in the preparedness world, the Hub Network has been absorbing lessons from the pandemic.  This has helped us update our Hub information so we could safely operate Hub locations should a major disaster happen during a pandemic.  Watching the organization of mass testing and vaccine sites gives us new ideas for disaster supply distribution and volunteer management. A most  interesting comparison comes from San Juan County, who created this flyer on  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=276bccb9e7&e=b2be958f13> “COVID-19 and Earthquakes – Similarities and Differences”.  While their community helping centers have different titles, it all boils down to just plain being prepared for anything.

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/f483b9fb-8f84-4cf7-85e4-a4878ed092ae.png>

2020 and 2021

Like everyone, COVID-19 has upended our plans and last year caused cancellation of our annual field exercise practice event.  But we have our fingers crossed for something in 2021 and will send out information about that as it develops.  Meanwhile, we have been busy working virtually across the city to improve our planning for response and improving our outreach into all parts of our communities.

2020 brought another round of Hub in a Box funding (thank you City Council!) to provide equipment for 9 Hubs, those should be having grand openings in the summer (virtual or in person, depending…).

*	New Hubs: Homer Harris Park, Pinehurst Playground and Mount Baker Park,
*	Boxes purchased for existing Hubs:  Fremont P-Patch, Maple Leaf P-Patch, Maple Leaf Reservoir Park, University Heights, Highland Park, High Point

We were awarded $33,360 from a Seattle Neighborhood Matching Fund Grant for the following:

*	Three new Hubs (Madison Valley, Eastlake, and Roosevelt), relocate the Greenwood Hub and provide a box for the Providence Mount St. Vincent Hub.
*	Provide interpretation and ADA services at the grand openings and training sessions.
*	Translate our  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=ae13f41e61&e=b2be958f13> brochure into the top seven languages spoken in Seattle.
*	Create three videos to educate about Hubs with closed captioning and language translation.

Our interactive map will be updated as each of these new Hubs come together,  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=3eb324a8a9&e=b2be958f13> check here to find the Hub nearest you.

In two other projects, we are almost complete with our Pandemic Operations Guidebook and we are working on community based, just-in-time Sheltering Guidelines, which would expand the simple checklists we currently have in place.

Earthquake Early Warning Tool Coming Soon

On Feb 25th, Washington will hold a test of the New Earthquake Early Warning System and the system is planned to go live in May.  Learn more about how this system works, both KOMO and KING have coverage  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=63a0d7456b&e=b2be958f13> here and  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=22ed0b1ade&e=b2be958f13> here.  After the test, watch for information on how to sign up.

Upcoming Training

One of our Hub Captains, Ann Forrest, is offering a set of classes on-line for basic emergency preparedness.  Each date will cover two topics in a condensed format so you can quickly and easily get key information.
Every Wednesday evening from 7pm to 7:30pm - March 10th thru April 14th.
FREE of charge.   Register to receive the link  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=29ee7d3417&e=b2be958f13> here

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/43ad8598-52e0-45d6-bd9d-1aa028d1e585.png>

Seattle Office of Emergency Management Information & Training Schedule

The City of Seattle has a new Director of the Office of Emergency Management, Curry Mayer.  She was the Emergency Manager for the City of Bellevue, so is familiar with our region and all our hazards already.

Things continue to develop for upcoming training to be offered by the City of Seattle in 2021, and they are working on a series of public webinars that cover how the City and the different departments create and practice plans for responding in disasters.  Departments could include Firefighting, Utility Restoration, Transportation, etc.  Dates are to be announced, likely late spring.

Thank you!

Last year we ran our first ever GoFundMe campaign, to raise money to cover the administrative costs of the Hub Network such as webhosting, printing and translating materials.   Thanks to the many contributors who helped us meet and then exceed our goal of $5,500.  When we closed the campaign in October 2020, we had raised $6,077!  We are so appreciative of those contributions and look forward to doing great work in 2021.

 <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=67a20bdcc3&e=b2be958f13>

 <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=3ef244359f&e=b2be958f13>

 <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=8e69485721&e=b2be958f13>

  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=3006bb8b86&e=b2be958f13>