[NFBSea] FW: Seattle Hubs Holiday Edition 2022 Newsletter

jacobstruiksma at gmail.com jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 23:14:17 UTC 2022

Passing on for  your information.

Seattle Hubs Holiday Edition 2022 Newsletter

Thank you for your interest in the Seattle Hubs!

 <https://mailchi.mp/d00a9176487b/seattle-hubs-holiday-edition-2022-newsletter?e=b2be958f13> View this email in your browser

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/cc44c29e-d0ec-4590-a53c-ff4f50583aa2.png>

Seattle Emergency Communications Hubs

Welcome to the Holiday Edition of the quarterly newsletter of the Seattle Emergency Communications Hubs!  2022 was an inspirational year with amazing work from our Hub volunteers.  Read on to discover holiday gift-giving ideas, a summary of a major project we have finished, and a peek into the future...

 <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=ed8d5ea90e&e=b2be958f13>

 <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=9811fc6f3d&e=b2be958f13>

Increasing Our Outreach

In late 2020, we received a $33,000 Seattle Department of Neighborhoods grant to help us reach under-served communities with our message of community preparedness. We translated many of our outreach materials into the top seven languages spoken and written in Seattle - and hosted several events with interpreters of those languages and in American Sign Language. We made our basic “What is a Hub? video available in those languages on our  <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=ffee1be5ad&e=b2be958f13> YouTube channel.  We also translated the Hub Self Help posters, intended to provide critical information for community response and safety, into the top eleven languages, and those can be downloaded from our website later this year. We also helped establish four additional Hubs within the City of Seattle.

We are very grateful to the Department of Neighborhoods for extending the grant deadline and allowing us the opportunity to host in-person events despite the challenges of COVID.

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/f9590c50-0e84-c262-1ac8-a254b7ab7b04.png>
Our Hub brochure is now in Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Somali, Korean, Tagalog and Vietnamese and the Self Help Posters in those languages plus Amharic, Khmer, Oromo, Russian,Tigrinya, Ukrainian and both Traditional and Simplified Chinese

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/42e2d032-a489-81e8-0889-e89e60bbdaa4.jpg>

Bradner Garden P-Patch Hub  Urban Survival Skills Fair, September

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/9229f4e1-333e-84cc-013b-c2b5dcaa65f0.jpg>

Eastlake Hub Urban Survival Skills Fair, July

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/d9ebd02a-dc50-7d03-ef93-8740925a3df6.jpg>

El Centro de la Raza Urban Survival Skills Fair, September

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/15e2303c-3789-810e-7686-d497bf42b5db.jpg>

High Point Hub Urban Survival Skills Fair, June

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/_compresseds/09673e01-b681-1112-252e-86d92e515b06.jpg>

Victory Heights Hub Urban Survival Skills Fair, June

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/_compresseds/0e26fb29-99a1-16fe-1723-6c88f7107a47.jpg>

Roosevelt Hub Urban Survival Skills Fair, June

General Activities

We apologize for the infrequent Hub Newsletters in 2022 and the general lack of announcements of our upcoming activities.  Once the prospect of outdoor events became a reality, our volunteers really got moving.  We hosted outreach tables at multiple events throughout the city and sponsored several Urban Survival Skills Fairs.   Additionally, several Hubs hosted small scale practice sessions and field exercises to orient new members and to shake off the dust of not being able to practice for a full year. Here are some of the pictures from a very busy summer and fall.

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/5e029004-c472-d6e1-335b-10f9f719fba8.jpg>

North Capitol Hill Hub mini-exercise, August

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/40f64b1a-d400-2441-c0ae-2f85852ddf6a.jpg>

Homer Harris Hub mini-exercise, July

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/666ac137-410d-de5b-b572-3ccd26ed9ee3.jpg>

Madison Park Hub exercise, July

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/b6011649-c112-14c7-dfe9-67bebabd880d.jpg>

Laurelhurst Hub open house, September

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/b8e78bc0-238d-8d23-0300-3e4324cb3b51.jpg>

Capitol Hill Braeburn Condo Hub exercise, August

  <https://mcusercontent.com/15c317f52899487470ba6529b/images/df649fd5-5968-3502-28c7-c3ab784ba593.jpg>

Victory Heights Hub exercise, June

Coming Up...

We are working closely with the Washington State Pharmacy Association and Seattle City Light to ensure we have the most up-to-date information to share with our Hub Captains and their communities.  And, to be as prepared as possible to support our communities post-disaster.  Understanding how the delivery of medications will be impacted post-earthquake is fascinating work.  Working together to find ways to support the most vulnerable in our community with their power needs (think home infusion setups, communication assistance devices, and much more) is incredibly fulfilling.  We look forward to sharing the results of our efforts with you in our next newsletter.  Stay tuned!

Upcoming Trainings:

 <https://readyseattle.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=15c317f52899487470ba6529b&id=e032d7882f&e=b2be958f13>

Disaster Basics - sponsored by the Seattle Office of Emergency Management

Have you ever wondered what you'll should an event disrupt your normal routine? What about your family or friends? Earthquakes, for example, do not happen every day, but that can happen and would be the worst-case scenario for Seattle. This presentation will provide an overview of the hazards that can impact Seattle, and steps community members can take to become prepared for the unexpected. Participants will receive guidance on how to develop a disaster plan, build a disaster supply kit, and organize with your neighbors to become better prepared. You'll also receive an overview of other OEM efforts including the SNAP program, Community Emergency Hubs, and the City's new alert and notification system, Alert Seattle.
Intended Audience: This presentation is intended for a broad array of audiences. This could include a business or non-profit organization looking to increase the personal preparedness of its employees. It could also include a community group looking to improve the personal preparedness of the neighborhood or people they serve.
The classes will take place via Zoom. You do not need to have a Zoom account in order to attend. Access to the training will be provided after registration has closed. Registration will close two days prior to the class.