[NFBSea] FW: ACT NOW to fight for a 2023 Seattle City Budget that aligns with your values!

jacobstruiksma at gmail.com jacobstruiksma at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 08:00:36 UTC 2022

Passing on for your information.

ACT NOW to fight for a 2023 Seattle City Budget that aligns with your
values!

<http://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/SNG-horizontal-logo-for-Summ
er-Parkways.png>

The City of Seattle is failing to reach its safety, equity, and climate
goals. A budget is a moral document, and we are working with the Seattle
Solidarity Budget Coalition <https://www.seattlesolidaritybudget.com/>  to
ask the City Council to amend the Mayor's proposed budget to better reflect
our shared values.

<https://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/DVSS-Budget-Hearing-Public-
Comment.png>

This year, the 2023 Solidarity Budget: Budget to Live, Budget to Thrive
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LL9DEPjjJ5CGPnRISNIxPpd2AO9VNFftng_Yaha
epUI/edit#heading=h.8bgakf3e91ym>  includes three critical transportation
priorities to make the budget better reflect our city's values:

*	Keep the traffic enforcement division in SDOT, don't move it back to
SPD: Civilian workers belong in a civilian-led department, and Parking
Enforcement Officers should be partners in curb space management - to get
people parking in places that allow everyone access to sidewalks, bike
lanes, curb ramps, and more.
*	Ensure that 100% of the revenue from automatic camera enforcement is
re-invested into safe streets projects, not directed into the general fund.
*	Maintain increases in funding for Vision Zero, new sidewalk
construction, protected bike lanes, and school safety improvements. Ensure
that Vision Zero funds are for street safety projects - Transit improvements
are important, and should be funded through another source of funding.

 <https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/t80V0zXegP5NATg6-7Utcw>

ACT NOW: Three easy ways to ask the City Council to pass a #BudgetToLive and
#BudgetToThrive, including safety for people walking, rolling, biking, and
taking transit:

1.	Speak during the public comment period at the Budget Committee
Meeting on Tuesday, Oct 11 at 9:30 am or 5 pm. Comment virtually (sign up 2
hrs prior <https://www.seattle.gov/council/committees/public-comment> ) or
in person at Council chambers at Seattle City Hall. Find talking points here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cmAwbJTu2Xk605ZV218acdE_htuuCgEg4UDgzTX
H9JM/edit> .
2.	Send an email to City Council: Click here
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/t80V0zXegP5NATg6-7Utcw>
3.	Share this Action Alert with at least 3 friends. Word of mouth is
the best form of advocacy.

SAVE THE DATE: There will be additional opportunities to make public
comments on Oct 25 at 9:30 am, November 8 at 9:30 am, and November 15 at 5
pm.

  <https://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/Screenshot-228.png>

Background:

Before the Mayor dropped his budget, the Solidarity Budget Coalition,
including Seattle Neighborhood Greenways, presented our 2023 Solidarity
Budget: Budget to Live, Budget to Thrive
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LL9DEPjjJ5CGPnRISNIxPpd2AO9VNFftng_Yaha
epUI/edit#heading=h.8bgakf3e91ym> . Our central background demands from the
more extensive budget we created in 2022
<https://www.seattlesolidaritybudget.com/solidarity-budget-2022>  remain the
same. We remain committed to organizing as a cross-movement coalition and
working together for a budget that ends jail deaths, deaths of our unhoused
neighbors and deaths of people walking, rolling, and biking, and that
creates the conditions for all of us to thrive.

The Seattle City Council now has the opportunity to edit the Mayor's
proposed budget, and we are advocating for a city budget that aligns with
our shared values of safety, equity, and climate. We'll keep you updated on
the process through a series of action alerts this fall until the final
budget is adopted in November.

Thank you for your continued advocacy!

Want to do more? Get involved in Seattle Neighborhood Greenways by
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/nh2jaN1TtPutuDRTl9D5RQ?t=15247672
20> volunteering with us or
<https://secure.lglforms.com/form_engine/s/cHEGKrdwq8zgyufFhza4sA> donating
to support our work.

  <http://seattlegreenways.org/wp-content/uploads/clara.jpg> Clara Cantor
she/her

Community Organizer
Seattle Neighborhood Greenways
Website
<http://email.mg2.littlegreenlight.net/c/eJxdjk1qxDAMRk9jL40s_8hdeNEwzDWC63g
cFycpicswtx9nSrsoCCQ-pKc3eSfjG_HiEaQDKw2CMgBCiqskjfoiNWkY7ABMw5JR1NJaTXlPaa0
lz02sqfGa67iEUsuaxzIxMzBz8WdDRCKrsA894tXPrX0x9c7w2utI4Q92D49DbHvuMd_953bM8V5
qLWE5-ud80kXcFt58iHH7XtsoJSris_-YLDllIVl9c2SUdiRNgim4c-GmXna_R__sXowfuSfDkk5
L>  - Twitter
<http://email.mg2.littlegreenlight.net/c/eJxdjs1uhCAQgJ8GjmQYQPTAoWazvfXSBzC
ILNKM2iiN6dsXt-mlySTzk5lvvsm1MnSWZ4cgW2ikQVAGQEhxl1ajvkltNfRND0zDklBQLoVi2mN
cKae5iDUWTomGxWfKaxryxEzPzM1dCRGtbRTWoo44ubmUT6ZeGN5rlLPC4i7CttTu_e31op7---C
7-9iOOZyZKPvlqL_Txb82eXE-hO1rLYOUqCyfnYfuMVrAB3glO0DvJzRtN41hRB8Qn35_R__8nox
fvR-Jf0_X>  - Facebook
<http://email.mg2.littlegreenlight.net/c/eJxdj01uwyAQhU8DS8TwGy9YxEqTA_QAFia
AabGpYiLU2xen6qbSSDN6mnnvm7s5gRs0ToZROFEFklEuKSVArqAFExcQWtBRjRQJukZGcqo1-_j
wfsspLpVsvuIc87TalNMWp3RHckTyYo7GGNNacdaHLuFsllq_dsTPiF17tdZIsM7PpXwSV9Yuvb-
db4d5s987fpiPsi-upZyTXfeOEI-YYxVXY50rz61OAIxrvJhZdy-rQwDJ-y9KwUBhCLNXQQOAfWH
-Hf3DfHn8Uv4A3EhR-g>

Seattle Neighborhood Greenways.

<http://email.mg.seattlegreenways.org/o/eJxdjcsOwiAURL-mLJvLhQt0wcb4Hw2vItpH
0mKMfy9q3LiaySRnTrJcKZJCa0AW7QBCcWLFIiBy4IBcEGA_IaFXQ9DKTIMm00lYcn8kV-uc8p7S
-nDPo9_2zOY8j4src1nzWGJHp47O9h2IQkspjW6tbWy3Vxc2f9T9Xm7H4tpnfoN92BZWrQthu691
5Lxx7GJbegExYgKFAuNkpCc-QPSSTHTqI_5Bf-LPx1f7AjyrRQU>