[NFBSea] This Month's Chapter Meeting And Focus Group On September 23rd. Please Read Carefully!

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 06:26:07 UTC 2023

National Federation of the Blind of Washington

Greater Seattle Chapter Meeting!

Join us for our upcoming meeting, Saturday August 26th, 2023, beginning at
11:00 AM

We will be meeting at Razzi's Pizzeria

8523 GREENWOOD AVE. N.

SEATTLE, WA 98103.

Razzi's Pizzeria is on the #5 bus line.

Greetings,

First, I'd like to thank those who helped make our recent picnic a very nice
one. We missed those of you who couldn't make it. There will be other
opportunities for us to engage and fellowship.

Yes, we are having a chapter meeting this month. It will be jam packed! This
means we will begin at 11:00 sharp, no matter how many people are there!
Please be on time!

First, Marci will talk about any pressing National or State business. Alice
Klein will talk about the upcoming White Cane Day walk, which is taking
place on October 14th. The NFBW is partnering with Alice and other
organizations to make this the biggest and best yet!

After that, our meeting will turn into a focus group, sponsored by King
County Metro. Metro representatives have asked if they could meet with our
members, and Marci and I thought that doing it during our chapter meeting
would be great! Following is what Metro sent us as an explanation. Please
read.

"Metro is working to make it easier for people with disabilities to use
public transportation and we want to hear from you! The Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) requires government agencies to make sure everyone
can use their programs and services. The ADA also requires these agencies to
have an ADA Transition Plan, which is a guide to removing barriers and
improving access for everyone.

We want to make sure everyone can use public transportation safely and
equitably. This is why we want to better understand how our programs work
for people with disabilities and the challenges they face when using our
services.

We invite you to join us for a focus group on September 23, 2023. Your input
about your experiences riding Metro and your ideas for enhancing our
programs, services and activities for people with disabilities are highly
valued."

This should be great for both Metro and blind people, many of whom are in
our chapter. Although it's not mentioned in the flyer each focused
participant will be compensated $115. Marci doesn't know what form the
payment will be but will try to find out tomorrow. There's a form people
will have to fill out. They will send us an email version of that so we can
try to get some folks to fill it out ahead of time. People will also be able
to fill it out that day but the more people who do it have the time the
quicker things will go.

Once we're done with the important business, let's stay and have lunch
together! See you Saturday!

Jim