[NFBSea] NFB Seattle Chapter September Meeting Notes

portillo.jim at gmail.com portillo.jim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 23:21:11 UTC 2023

Earlier today, the Seattle chapter of the National Federation of the Blind
met for its monthly meeting, and despite a few members being absent due to
illness or other commitments, we were pleased to see a strong turnout. This
turnout was particularly advantageous as we had a unique meeting planned.

King County Metro conducted a ninety-minute focus group during our meeting
to discuss ways of enhancing accessibility for individuals with
disabilities. Their commitment to ADA compliance and their existing
Transition Plan, aimed at eliminating barriers and improving access, were
commendable. The focus group sought valuable insights from our members
regarding their experiences with Metro services and sought suggestions for
enhancing programs and services for people with disabilities. We celebrated
the aspects that were working well while offering constructive feedback for
areas that needed improvement.

Following the focus group, Alice Klein took a few minutes to provide
information about the upcoming White Cane Walk scheduled for October 14th,
encouraging everyone to invite friends and family to participate.

Information is below.

White Cane Day Walk 2023 is happening rain or shine!

Click here to register! Please invite your friends, family and colleagues.
Registration closes October 1st!

Event Timing:  Saturday, October 14th 2023

Event Addresses:

Starting: Pike Place  Market Information Center: 97 Pike St, Seattle, WA
98101

Ending: Washington Talking Book and Braille Library (WTBBL): 2021 9th Ave,
Seattle, WA 98121

Route Map

9:00 am - 9:50 Arrive at starting place

9:50 am: Group Photo

10:00 am: The Walk begins!

10:20-45: Walkers arrive at WTBBL

11:00 am: Welcome Comments/ Booth Introduction

Presentations by GBD, NFB, and Cane Fixing Demo by the Lighthouse

12:30: Event ends

There will be a group of volunteers to walk folks back to the starting place
at 12:30.

WTBBL will host a reception and a vendor area including:

Department of Services for the Blind,

Deafblind Service Center,

HopeVision Foundation

Lighthouse for the Blind,

Guide Dogs for the Blind,

National Federation of the Blind,

Northwest Association for Blind Athletes,

Snohomish Lion's Club and Knights of the Blind

Washington Council of the Blind

You can purchase your White Cane Day swag here:
https://www.bonfire.com/store/white-cane-day/

All items are sold at cost and no profit is made by event organizers.

You Cane Give Initiative is sponsoring a cane drive for this event!
Wondering what to do with that old cane you no longer use in the closet? Is
that drawer of used canes collecting dust and taking up space? Donate your
old canes to the "You Cane Give" program. And turn that old cane into
newfound independence for individuals in need.

Finally, a brief summary of last month's meeting will be sent to the chapter
via email, and we will use that as our Secretary Report. A treasurer's
report will also be emailed. We will vote on and approve everything next
month.

After we adjourned, we all stayed for lunch, had good food, and enjoyed
catching up with friends.