[NFBSea] Invitation to the NFBW Greater Seattle Chapter Meeting, May 11, 2024!

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Tue May 7 02:17:21 UTC 2024

  National Federation of the Blind of Washington Greater Seattle Chapter
  Meeting

It is time, once again, for the monthly gathering and meeting of the
National Federation of the Blind of WA <http://www.nfbw.org> Greater
Seattle Chapter Meeting! Please see the details below and hope you are
able to join us for this beautiful and wonderful gathering of Blind
people across Seattle and surrounding area! Everybody is welcome:
Members of our federation, chapter, or affiliate; members of the public;
allies of the blind; family and friends.

    Date and Time:

Saturday, May 11, 2024, beginning at 11:00 AM. (Note: those who wish to
join us for lunch you are more than welcome to do so. Meetings typically
last about an hour to an hour and a half, and usually an extra hour or
so for mingling and lunch.)

    Meeting Location:

Razzi's Pizzeria <http://www.razzispizza.com/> (Link to Website with
details and lunch menu)

Address:

8523 Greenwood Avenue North

Seattle, WA  98103

    Meeting Agenda:

We have a bit of a packed agenda this month, with a diverse selection of
items to go over, people to meet, new experiences to be gained, and
upcoming plans of things we want to take on as a chapter.

  * We are excited to have a guest speaker today. Anna Zivarts
    <https://disabilityrightswa.org/staff/anna-zivarts/> will be giving
    us an update about what she has been up to with regards to her work
    in the disability advocacy sector. She leads the Disability Mobility
    Initiative at Disability Rights Washington
    <http://www.disabilityrightswa.org/>, an organization in this state
    promoting advocacy solutions and working on legislative issues for
    our disabled population -- including the blind. Anna is blind
    herself is also the mother of a blind child. Come and hear what she
    has to say about the non-driver movement, the mobility and
    accessibility issues she is taking on, and the important wins and
    progress her work has produced thus far. Our chapter is not new to
    Ms. Zivarts, but for those new to the NFB, or our chapter, you will
    get to know this wonderful individual and all of the things and
    networking opportunities she has to offer.
  * Next, we will be voting on at least two items of interest for the
    chapter to consider. These are things that chapter board are
    planning through.
      o One member of our chapter, Jamal, is possibly considering
        hosting the Greater Seattle Chapter again for the 2024 Chapter
        Picnic, tentatively taking place on Saturday August 17 at 3:00
        PM at his house. This social event has been taken on in the past
        by our members. Come to the meeting to hear all the juicy
        details from the man himself, who will be addressing us about
        the matter during our meeting, and decide as a whole whether we
        want to take this on. This will be a very fun event, full of
        entertainment, food, drink and games.
      o Kristin Geary, our lovely Vice President, is considering taking
        on yet another social meetup / walk / mingle, at Green Lake Park
        <https://www.seattle.gov/parks/allparks/green-lake-park>. We
        would just walk, proudly displaying our white canes of
        independence, (or of course, our guide dogs), mingle with one
        another, have a bite to eat or drink at the nearby Starbucks,
        and count those much needed steps with our health apps at the
        same time! This is tentatively scheduled for Sunday June 9th at
        around noon. Come and hear the details and join in!!!
  * In addition, Kristin will be talking to us about the Stem2You
    program that she participated on Saturday April 20 at the Washington
    Talking Book and Braille Library <http://www.wtbbl.org/>. It was an
    event to help blind youth understand concepts of space, the Web
    Space Telescope from NASA, and how they can become future
    astronauts! So come and be inspired and learn more about it!
  * If there is time, a discussion of future events, guest speakers, and
    other things may be on the table, as well as of course, encouraging
    people to register for the NFB National Convention
    <http://www.nfb.org/convention>. taking place from July 3 through 8,
    2024. Registration is just a tap or press away here.
    <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=592> Please
    register. Act soon! Registration closes promptly on May 31.
  * We will have the customary business items (E.G. minutes of last
    meeting, treasurer report, ETC), aa state affiliate update, and
    other things!

So, come for the meeting, stay for the lunch, connect with folks with
similar interests and lived experiences and have a motivational Saturday
afternoon! Razzi's is on the #5 Metro bus line, and their lunch menu is
extravagant! they also have friendly dropoff and pickup spots for King
County Access Paratransit and those on ride-shares.

Looking forward to seeing you during our monthly meeting! Until then,
please keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for those high
stars! And remember, #LiveTheLifeYouWant!

Sincerely,

Humberto Avila

Secretary, NFBW Greater Seattle Chapter