[Nfbsf] legal protections for the visually impaired

Deborah Proctor drdebp at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 24 06:30:55 UTC 2009

Dear Scott,

Good luck on finding visually impaired to support in new fields!  I'm a
veterinarian and RN and often see visually impaired foks working in dark
rooms processing x-rays.  I do volunteer work for guide dogs and help in any
other way I can.

I'm writing to see if you could direct me to some legal information.  I had
two visually impaired relatives taken advantage of by their inability to
read contracts they signed.   The problems are clear, names were wrong,
critical documents stated as attached were in fact not,  yet their
signatures were honored anyway all the time not knowing the contents of what
they signed differed from what they were told.  They could have been told
anything but signed on sheer trust.

One even signed documents placing herself on hospice when she was told it
was simply contracts that enabled her to receive FREE NURSING CARE!!  She
was NOT terminally ill.. but discontinuing her meds resulted in her death.

They were treated as "incompetent" and agents spoke on their behalf when
they were in fact documented as lucid and competent.   How is this
addressed?   What protections are in place protecting the visually impaired
from false representation.  One believed their accountant was a CPA when
he'd in fact dropped his license to avoid being held accountable by the
licensing authorities.   Had she been able to read, she could have seen
taxes were not being prepared, checks not deposited, and funds redirected by
the accountant who had power of attorney.  She allegedly signed it thinking
her nephews were her agents!   She couldn't read the contents of the
documents to insure the facts were accurate.   This accountant created
documents naming him as power of attorney for health care, finances, and
legal matters, and found an attorney willing to name him as personal
representative of her estate and trustee of a testamentry trust she didn't
know existed.   With all that power, he is able to block access to all the
documents that can incriminate him.  None of this could have happend if
she'd been able to read what she signed.

Lawyers have lamented the problem but none know anything in place to protect
the visually impaired who's trust is violated.

The case is in Maryland;  I'm currently in Washington DC.  I'd really
appreciate any thoughts or resources.

Thank you very much for any help you can give,

Sincerely,

Deborah Proctor, DVM
Rohnert Park, CA