[Nfbsf] opposition to SFPD's abolishment of dangerous animals unit

Eric Holm ericholm at att.net
Mon Aug 2 19:29:50 UTC 2010

Dear NFBSF Board and Membership:
Below is a draft letterer I would like to send on behalf of the Chapter, with your comments and approval of course.
Please read and let me know your thoughts.
Thank you,
Eric Holm
President
NFBSF

RE: Oppose - Elimination of Vicious and Dangerous Animals Unit

DRAFT

Dear Mayor Newsom:

I greatly appreciate our long standing friendship and our work together.  Accordingly, I wish to bring to your attention a risk to the public at large and the blind community specificly.

The National Federation of the Blind, San Francisco Chapter (Board) is writing in opposition to the proposed elimination of the Vicious and Dangerous Animals Unit (Unit) within the San Francisco Police Department.  San Francisco has served as a model for other jurisdictions by having such a unit in its organization.  Many times with the Board’s constituency, the necessity for law enforcement involvement stems from violations of the penal code regarding dog attacks on the blind, guide dog teams and the population at large.  A dog attack is a vital issue in our community.  The emotional and physical results of an attack are devastating, and can result in serious injuries to handlers and/or the death of a guide dog or force the $60,000 guide dog into early retirement.  Referring these crimes to animal care & control sends the wrong message and improperly defers criminal enforcement to an inappropriate agency.

We therefore respectfully call upon you to reverse the misguided and dangerous policy of the SFPD’s abolishment of the Unit and reinstate its officers accordingly.

My schedule is at your disposal to meet and discuss the rectification of this important issue.

Respectfully yours,

ERIC HOLM
President
NFBSF