[Nfbsf] revised draft.

Eric Holm ericholm at att.net
Tue Aug 3 18:52:05 UTC 2010

Greetings and thank you for your thoughts and support on this important issue.
Below is a revised DRAFT of my letter to Mayor Newsom, Please note this is not for release.

I'd appreciate the ability to include CAGDU, NAGDU, NFBC, among others as supporters to this opposition letter.    Please let me know your thoughts.

Eric

DRAFT    NOT FOR GENERAL RELEASE

RE: Oppose - Elimination of Vicious and Dangerous Animals Unit

Dear Mayor Newsom:

I greatly appreciate our long standing friendship and our work together.  I recognize, and commend, your administration’s actions in leading the way on many issues relating to the rights of people with disabilities. I am writing today on behalf of a coalition of blind Californians and organizations that provide travel training to the blind. Accordingly, we wish to bring to your attention a risk to the public at large and the blind community specifically.

The National Federation of the Blind of San Francisco writes in opposition to the elimination of the Vicious and Dangerous Animals Unit (Unit) within the San Francisco Police Department.  Blind travelers who use guide dogs as their means of mobility are reliant upon the freedom to travel safely through their environment, without the interference of vicious and dangerous dogs. A dog attack is a vital issue in our community.  The emotional and physical results of an attack are devastating, and can result in serious injuries to handlers and/or the death of a guide dog or force the $60,000 guide dog into early retirement.  Referring these crimes to animal care & control sends the wrong message and improperly defers criminal enforcement to an inappropriate agency. Interfering with the work of a guide dog team is indeed a violation of state and federal law; and should be addressed by law enforcement.

San Francisco has served as a model for other jurisdictions by having such a unit in its organization. The officers in this unit have repeatedly gone above and beyond the call of duty – partnering with Guide Dogs for the Blind Inc. to create educational materials on the dangers of attacks on guide dogs and have repeatedly made themselves available for public speaking opportunities to educate people on the services and protections that the Vicious and Dangerous Dog Unit provides all residents and visitors of San Francisco. Information on this unit, and the protection it provides, has traveled throughout the blind community, and doubtless plays a significant role in the decisions of blind Californians to travel to San Francisco.  Other organizations also in opposition to the dissolution of the Unit include:  (_________)

We recognize the fiscal constraints facing the police department. However, the elimination of this program compromises the safety of all guide dog users that live, work, and visit San Francisco. As our nation celebrates the 20th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, taking such a significant step backwards in the protection of the blind is unacceptable. We therefore respectfully call upon you to reverse the dangerous decision of the Police Department’s abolishment of the Unit and reinstate its officers accordingly.

I formally request a meeting with you and a small group of concerned Californians to further discuss this issue. My schedule is at your disposal.

Respectfully yours,

ERIC HOLM, JD
President
NFBSF