[Nfbsf] NCLB Braille Exam at NFB National Convention

Deborah Proctor drdebp at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 18 21:49:56 UTC 2010

Dear Ms. Walch,

Would you know where I could find  any legal requirements of attorneys in
dealing with the visually impaired who can't use braille?  Many  older
Americans suffering late onset blindness from  diabetic retinopathy or
macular degeneration can't read braille, nor documents prepared for
signature. They sign things "on faith", that things read as told to them
verbally, only to find later that names have been changed or omitted, and
powers, property and authority given to people never intended to have it.
I've now had my 4th experience of  lawyers creating wills and powers of
attorneys, naming individuals other than loved ones or intended agents, as
executors, trustees, and agents with power of attorney.  The visually
impaired client can't tell, and never know their estate plans and property
are then stolen, with no recourse.

This is rampant throughout the country, and I thought perhaps someone like
you knew disability attorneys with knowlege of these issues.
I'd appreciate any resources you can pass along,

Sincerly yours,

Deborah Proctor, DVM
Rohnert Park, CA
neice/daugher/loved one of 4 visually impaired loved ones who've been
exploited by attorneys and unintended agents