[Nfbsf] Links and happenings from our October Meeting

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Sun Oct 19 20:17:25 UTC 2014

NOTE: Our next meeting will be on November 11th.  We'll start a half hour earlier.  Food will be at 6 and the meeting will begin at 6:30 instead of 7:00.

NOTE: See item 10, the last item, for information about 2 upcoming community services events.

Attendees:

1.  Tim Elder wants to go to the Grand Canyon
2.  Jim Barbour has been to China and wants to go to New Zealand.
3.  Josh Glatt wants to visit Japan
4.  Kate Williams wants to travel down the Danube
5.  Sara Hadsell wants to go back to Paris and climb the Coit Tower hill
6.  Christina Daniels wants to go to London to see a West End Show
7.  David Chan has been to The Vatican Museum
8.  Al Coreman has been to Rio De Janeiro
9.  Joseph Trygaa has been to India and China and wants to go back to Thailand

Announcements:

1) State convention was a big success!  We'll talk more about this in November.

   You can listen to all the convention audio by going to this link.

      http://www.nfbcal.org/nfbc/14_audio/

2) Washington Seminar is coming up.  We'd like to encourage everyone who feels they would like to go to apply.  You'll be expected to do a lot of walking, present yourself well to representatives and staff on the hill, and attend the entire 4 days of the seminar.

The Washington Seminar will take place January 26th - January 29th.  The deadline to submit your request is Friday October 31st, 2014.

http://www.formstack.com/forms/?984710-4OifFY6TfK

3) Our treasury currently holds $1,551

4) The chapter allocated $200.00 for a strictly-cash gift basket which was auctioned off at state convention.

5) The chapter collected 2014 dues for

    Tim Elder
    Jim Barbour
    Josh Glatt
    Kate Williams
    Sara Hadsell
    Al Coreman

    NOTE: Youngran Ji (Jim's wife) also paid San Francisco dues to Tim at convention.

6) October is National Meet the Blind Month.  Please consider making an extra effort to meet new people this month and to educate them about your blindness.

   Remember also that White Cane Day is October 15th.  Tim is checking to see if Lily is working on a proclamation.

7) The KNFB reader app has been released.  No one has bought the app yet.  We're hoping someone will buy it soon so we can have a demo <grin>

    The reviews of the app have been excellent.

8) BART is conducting an investigation looking for passengers who are not able to hear stop announcements, either because they're not being called or because the PA equipment is faulty.

Please consider filling out this questionnaire.

http://www.ilrcsf.org/blog/2014/09/bart-stop-announcement-investigation-by-disability-rights-advocates/

New BART Car Accessibility Event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/651334571647199/

Future of Caltrain Electric Cars Survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EMUPhase1

9) The Public Utilities Commission is setting up regulations of Transportation Network Companies such as Uber, Lyft and Sidecar.  There will be a hearing on Tuesday, November 4th

   More information can be found here.

   https://ia.cpuc.ca.gov/eventscalendar/DisplayEvent.asp?ReturnPage=default.asp&ReturnMonth=11&ReturnYear=2014&ID=1158

10) The San Francisco chapter will be participating in a Community Service Event working at the San Francisco/Marin Food Bank

    Date - Saturday, November 1st 2014
    Trip Time - 11:00am until 5:00pm
    Service Time - 12:30pm until 3:30pm

    Trip Meeting location - Lighthouse located @ 214 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
    Service Project Location - San Francisco & Marin Food Bank located @ 900 Pennsylvania Ave.  San Francisco

    Space is limited so please reserve a spot for yourself by getting in
    touch with Jamey Gump at (415) 694-7372 or jgump at lighthouse-sf.org

    Also, the NFBC East Bay Chapter will also be holding a Community Service event on November 8th.  So, if you can't make it on the first, or if you just like volunteering, you would be welcome at this event also.  If you're interested, please email Lisamaria Martinez lmartinez217 at gmail.com