[Nfbsf] Minutes for the May Chapter Meeting

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Thu Jun 4 15:55:19 UTC 2015

Our Next Chapter Meeting will be this Tuesday from 6 to 8 P.M. at the
LIghthouse located at 214 Van Ness Avenue near the Civic Center Bart
Station.

Attached to this email are our current constitution and the NFB of
California's model constitution for chapters.  Please look them over
before our next meeting.

Attendees

Name              Favorite book
Tim Elder         likes "Les miserables"
Nelson Chick      likes "To Kill a Mockingbird"
Ed Vaughan        likes "The Origin of Species"
Sara Hadsell      likes "The Hunger Games"
Bryan Bashin      likes "Where Hell Freezes Over"
Jim Barbour       likes "Cryptonomicon"
David Chan        likes "Lord of the Rings"
Jonathan Lyens    likes ...
Beth Berenson     likes "Pride and Prejudice"
Christina Daniels likes "The Grapes of Wrath"
Toshero           likes parenting books
Michael Nunez     likes "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
Announcements

1) We will not have a July meeting due to national convention.
2) Those of us who will be at the convention at Orlando should meet one morning for Breakfast.  Tim will be sending the day to the list.
3) In June, we should go through the agenda and talk about what's coming
up for convention.  The agenda can be found at https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/word/2015-conv-agenda-final-web.docx
4) Ed has an article in the June Braille Monitor named "Human Rights and Civil Law."
   The link for the Braille Monitor is
   http://www.nfb.org/braille-monitor

Chapter constitution

We need to update our chapter constitution to reflect our yearly financial commitment.

NOTE: The constitution is attached to this email

Presidential Release

Presidential releases can be found online at https://nfb.org/presidential-releases

or using the NFB Connect iPhone app. Please go listen to the latest release!

NFB Convention
Pre registration for NFB convention has closed.  However, if you are
going to Orlando, we really need you to sign up for the Guinness World
Record breaking attempt at http://www.nfb.org/gwr

Note that you must sign up in order to participate!

All San Francisco Chapter members attending National Convention are invited to a breakfast meeting with President Riccobono on July 9th at 7:30 A.M.  Please try to make it!

Fund raising Ideas

  * Hire a Fund raiser
  * Establishments who give us a percentage of all sales.

  Tim: The ideal fund raiser is one where we raise funds from external sources

Purposes of funds in our Chapter

  * Scholarships for conventions and other NFB gatherings
  * Food at chapter meetings
  * Membership Building Events
  * Speak to service clubs and solicit funds

Our current balance is $1,109.50

We need a stronger narrative around what our chapter can do with funds we raise.

Ed is going to talk with Eric Holm about the fund raiser we used.

Sara is looking into locations of service clubs.

Beth, Jim, and Jonathan are willing to speak
Jonathan is making plans to run for San Francisco Supervisor in the Richmond District.  Go John!!

John has been working with the board of supervisor on disability employment.

The NFB has been looking into the accessibility of Point of Sale devices
since touch screens are now being used for inputting your PIN.  These
screens are not usable by blind people.

If you want to help out evaluating POS machines at the Container Store, J crew, or William Sonoma; please try to use a debit card, and independently enter your PIN, and report results to Tim Elder.

Zip Lining

Some blind people who have gone zip lining are being turned away.  This is apparently a problem with zip lines that use hand breaking.  Apparently this also happens with paint balling.

Hand breaking seems to be the thing that concerns operators about blindness.

A group for the SF chapter is going to try and organize a trip. Beth is
going to coordinate it.