[Nfbsf] We're nutes about Tactile Peanuts Comics

J. Isaac j at novaelis.com
Sun Aug 19 07:42:42 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Is NFB or the Lighthouse organizing anything around this?

Thanks,

== J

MAD Lab created a blind-friendly Peanuts comic from 1951 for the Charles M.
Schultz Museum

<https://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b596
9a0798&id=7711006f5d&e=4a3025a56d>

Image: A closeup of a tactile graphic shows Charlie Brown challenging Snoopy
to a race.

It's for its universality and renown that the
<https://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b596
9a0798&id=7b0e4e8e33&e=4a3025a56d> Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa
remains dedicated to making Peanuts accessible to all - including the blind
and low vision community. Just this month, the
<https://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b596
9a0798&id=3d5ff7ed71&e=4a3025a56d> LightHouse MAD Lab worked with the Schulz
Museum to create a
<https://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b596
9a0798&id=96209c9a4f&e=4a3025a56d> tactile representation of a four-panel
Peanuts strip first published on July 31, 1951.

The museum's School and Youth Programs Coordinator Monica Hernandez
initiated the collaboration after learning more about museum accessibility
while studying at SF State, and to prepare for the museum's second
Accessible Tours Day, which will be held on September 23, 2018.

"As I understand it, often people with disabilities are told that they're
too expensive, that it's too much trouble or effort to take on a project
like this," says Hernandez. "That's not what we're about. We try to do our
best with accessibility at the museum."

MAD Lab's tactile comic strip is on view by request and will be available
for viewing the museum's
<https://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b596
9a0798&id=417381a8a3&e=4a3025a56d> Accessible Tours Day on Sunday, September
23 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Special tours will be available for deaf, hard of
hearing and low vision visitors led by trained docents with sign-language
interpreters throughout the morning.

<https://lighthouse-sf.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f40e17a83bbae60b596
9a0798&id=2214480373&e=4a3025a56d> read more in our blog