[Nfbsf] March Meeting Minutes

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Tue Apr 9 06:12:22 UTC 2019

Role -- Do you approve of Daylight Saving Time?

Christina Daniels (Yes)
Kay Hatori (Yes)
Kama (Yes)
Susan Kitazaua (Yes)
Bryan Bashin (Unsure)
Cindy Fassler (Yes)
Jaime Tomasello (Yes) ????
Richie Flores (Yes)
Jeff Buckwalter (Yes)
Jenny Prince (No)
Kate Williams (Yes)
Sara Hadsell (Yes)
Nikita Stewart (Yes)
David Chan (Unsure)

Listened to the Presidential Release

Christina will collect information from folks for NFB membership records

Minutes were agreed upon but no approval vote was taken.

Sara gave a Treasurer's report $1,364.07

We are collecting money for Dinners for our NFB meetings.

1. Convention:
    * Transportation - Flying and Busses.  Doesn't look like there are great bus options from the bay area.  Flix bus does have a line to Las Vegas, but they are currently reporting nothing available.  Greyhound also has options, but they aren't much cheaper than flying.

    * The dates are July 7th through July 12th.  Likely, you'll want to * fly in early on the 7th, and fly back on the 13th.

    * Book hotel rooms soon.

    * Not automatically changed resort fee.  If you don't pay the resort fee, you won't have access to WiFi or the gym.

    * There are two different taxes applied to each room.  a $99.00 room will actually cost around $120.00 per night.
    * If you're looking for roommates, check around the chapter, post on * the nfbsf San Francisco list and/or the nfbc-info state mailing list.
    * Food budget suggestions depend a lot on where you eat, how many groceries you buy, etc.
    * Online pre-registration is online at https://convention.nfb.org/

2.  In The Dark TV show.

    * In the Dark is a TV show about a blind person.  The blind person is not played by a blind actor.
    * Played the trailer for the TV show.

    * Played the NFB Press release.
      - Often TV shows about blind people portray blind people in offensive and inaccurate ways.
      - Blind characters are not played by blind actors
      - In the dark is no different-
      - Needlessly dismissive of blind actors
      - We have the right to determine how blind people are portrayed.
      - Demand the the CW network withdraw and reshoot with a blind actor.
      - Demand that advertisers withdraw support
      - We will not collaborate and may boycott shows where I plan to cast blind actors are not cast.

    * Thoughts?
      - Richie: Richard Prior and Al Pacino played blind characters.
      - Sara: Struggled being in an orchestra.  Also, as long as blind actors are allowed to compete.
      - Bryan Bashin: We won't be able to make any change until we state what is and isn't acceptable to us.  Times have changed and it is no longer OK for sighted actors to play blind roles.  Compares to people wearing blackface or white actress staring in Miss Saigon.
      - Bobbi: Asks about what if a blind person plays someone sighted.
      - Richie: Where are the blind actors and what roles are they running for?
      - Christina: Underrepresented groups should be actively cast in as many roles as possible.  The best friend role in Miss Saigon is traditionally played by a black person.  Not required, but when a white person plays the role, the community gets in an uproar.  Much better to have a white person play that role though than a person in blackface.
      - Bryan: If you just flip it, it's not equivalent.  A show starring a blind person is generally about their blindness.  Shows starring sighted folks are rarely about their sightedness.  Blind people should be consulted about shows about blindness.
      - Sara mentioned diversity she saw in Hamilton.
      - David says that Blind people should be consulted.
      - Bobbi would like to see more blind actors in our community.  Talking about what it's like and helping blind people get involved in acting.
      - Richie says the Performing Arts division is mostly made up of musicians.
      - Bryan: BBC In Touch program had a session on blind actors.
      - Sara says they're not going to recast this show.  General agreement.
      - Christina says that the CW doesn't have an audio description track.

3.  Announcements

    * Jeff Buckwalter announces that tech together will be meeting next Tuesday.

    * Plantronics ear, some prolight pens, and a bus stop announcement signs are available.  Not sure who made the announcement.

    * We like the U shaped tables.

Next meeting is April the 9th at 6 PM at the Lighthouse.