[Nfbsf] February Minutes

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Tue Mar 12 18:04:43 UTC 2019

1.  Ice Breaker - Coldest climate you've been in.
Christina Daniels: 14 dg F
Ashley Butella: -15
Kayla Kidwell: 30
Kate Williams: -10
Beth Barrenson: below 0
Bryan Bashin: 5
Jeff Buckwalter: -15
Bobbi Pompey: -13
Susan Kitizawa: below 0
Laura Millar:   seen snow 3 times, below 65 is uncomfortable :)
Jim Barbour:    -10
Amy Mason:      -30
Richie Flores:  Jonas blizzard in DC.
Kay Hatori: 39
John Denton: -33
Lisa Irving Pardini: Syracuse, New York
Adam Rodanbeck: -20

2.  Jim read highlights of January minutes.  Lisa moved we approved the minutes and they were approved.

3.  Sara Hadsell says we have $1,350 in our account. New all time high.  Dues were collected

4.  Presidential release was played

5.  Rachel Olivero was known to many of us. She worked as the director of technology at our National office.  She passed away very unexpectedly shortly after this presidential release was recorded.  Amy Mason give a very emotional, heartfelt tribute.

6.  Review of This year's Washington Seminar

7. Christina gave an overview of how the seminar works, who we see, and what the issues were.

   Issue 1: Technology Affordability Act.  Tax credit to help offset technology costs
   Issue 2: Greater Accessibility and Independence through Non-visual technology Act: Access Board to help determine guidelines for what accessibility means
   Issue 3: Disability Employment Act:

There was confusion about the Disability Employment Act, the Transformation to competitive employment act (HR 873 which was talked about in the presidential release), and last year's time act.  More research will be done and discussion will happen in March.

We talked a lot about how we can support Washington Seminar activities
at the local level

Christina Will send out text of HR 873.

Jim Barbour will send out an email looking for participants who wish to visit federal legislators local offices.

8. Elections

Amy Mason was elected as First Vice President
Jim Barbour was elected as Secretary
Sara Hadsell was elected Treasurer
Lisa Irving Pardini was elected to our first board position
Bobbi Pompey was elected to our second board position.

Congratulations!

Whole Slate:
President: Christina Daniels (up in 2020)
First VP:  Amy Mason (up in 2020)
Second VP: Kate Williams (up in 2020)
Secretary: Jim Barbour (up in 2021)
Treasurer: Sara Hadsell (Up in 2021)
Board 1:   Lisa Irving Pardini (up in 2021)
Board 2:   Bobbi Pompey (up in 2021)

9. Announcements

Lisa Irving will be giving public comment to the blind advisory rehab committee.  She feels that the services she is receiving up here are not correctly aligned with her needs.  We wish Lisa luck!

Laura Millar says that the lighthouse has partnered with the LGBT center to go to the monthly Queer Poetry Slams.  Contact Laura for more info.

Bryan Bashin says that every quarter the Blind Advisory Committee meets.  The lighthouse has a room which is an official public location for those meetings.  If you are interested from policy, you are encouraged to attend.  Please contact the lighthouse for details

Amy Mason says that Tech Together is being held monthly. Bring your tech and learn with your community.

Beth Barrenson says "goodbye for now" as she is moving to San Diego to take care of her mother in San Diego.

Bobbi Pompey says there's a program which will provide folks with a video magnifier if needed.  If interested, please contact Bobbi at the lighthouse.

Kate Williams says the lighthouse is hosting a workshop on how to make the most of your LInked In profile.  Will be held on March 20 and 21st.  Please contact the lighthouse if interested.

Next Meeting is March 12th.  See you all then!

Also, please consider joining us on Saturday the 16th at the San Jose chapter meeting.  The city of San Jose will be at the San Jose chapter meeting this Saturday to talk about their participation in an autonomous vehicle research study and how the NFB can participate.  Please let Christina know if you can go.