[Nfbsf] NFB of California at risk of loosing funding from Uber and Lyft

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri May 31 04:05:42 UTC 2019

Hello All,

Our chapter president, Christina Daniels, has asked me to kick this off.

As most of you know, the NFB entered into settlement agreements with Uber and Lyft as a resolution to blind people with service animals being denied rides.

The NFB is responsible for ongoing testing of this settlement by filing reports of successful and unsuccessful rides by blind people with service animals.

We are aware that this settlement is not completely successful. Blind people are still being denied rides.

One part of the settlement that has been working well is that the NFB of California receives funding from Uber and Lyft to support our work, including testing of the success of the settlement.

The national office has not received enough reports from us here in the San Francisco Bay Area. If this continues, then Lyft and Uber will be let off the hook for giving us the funding they agreed to during the settlement.

Therefore, we are looking for a few NFB San Francisco members who are dog handlers and use ride sharing services enough to commit to filing 3 reports a month to the national office.

We will help each other out, hold each other accountable, and do our part to make sure that the NFB of California receives the funding agreed to.

If you are able to volunteer to help out, please reply to this email (which everyone will see) or email jbar at barcore.com <mailto:jbar at barcore.com> privately to let me know.

I'll make sure each of you are able to submit reports either by email, phone, or the web.  I'll expect you to join a 15-minute conference call each month where we'll talk about how many reports we've filed and any challenges you've run into with the reporting process.

It's important that we get going on reporting in the bay area.  Your help could really make a difference.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jim Barbour - Secretary