[NFBSF] Vision Loss

Lisamaria lisamaria0217 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 02:11:53 UTC 2019

Just a few thoughts to fuel the thread...

Vision loss comes from a place of loss. It assumes that vision is the gold standard and that anything less is bad or wrong or inferior. This is ableist because the assumption is that able is the "good" thing.

As for the word blind ... what's wrong with identifying as blind if you have some functional vision but are legally blind? I mean, if your vision is something like 20/1200, which mine is, I consider that to be pretty shitty vision and I don't personally kid myself and think I'm anything but blind. You don't have to be 100% Puerto Rican to identify as Puerto Rican or any other ethnicity.

You aren't partially pregnant.

You aren't sort of amputated. It doesn't matter if the amputation occrred at the ankle, knee or mid thigh. You still are an amputee.

This is all to say there are degrees of or levels of being blind, pregnant, Puerto Rican or an amputee. It doesn't make you more or less of that thing. Anyways ... this is how I view things.

LM

Sent from my iPhone