[NFBSF] September Minutes

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Mon Oct 7 07:34:40 UTC 2019

What do you like and dislike about audio description?

Bryan Bashin		They describe the appearance of people's faces and the emotions behind them.  Doesn't like things we don't need like the color of a sunset.
Cindy Fassler		Does not like it when the audio description flashes.  Direct content.
Richie Flores		Doesn't like when they don't have it
Kate Williams		Doesn't really watch much TV.
Sarah Hadsell		Likes when they give you names before the rest of the audience knows them so you can follow easier.
Ginny Prince		Does not watch a lot of TV.
Amy Mason		Learning something I didn't know that adds flavor to the story.
Bobbi Pompey		Doesn't like computerized voices. Does like knowing what people are wearing
Peter Pardini		Provides a lot a details that get missed, don't like it when they put too little description in.
Lisamaria Martinez	Likes being able to know what's going on visually. Rewatching old movies that have now been described.  All of here children also get description, even though they're sighted.
Serena Olsen		When it is open and available to everyone.  Doesn't like when the theater gets video description and amplification confused.
Jamie Tomasello		doesn't like having to go back to the counter to get headphones fixed.
Jeff Buckwalter		Wants more description of the sex scenes in movies.
Susan Kitizawa		Likes having subtitles read
Lukash 			Likes that more and more films are available.  Not available as much in Poland
Anna Puvlanska		Remembers how good description was in an action movie where the dialog was missing
Kayla Kidwell		Likes finding audio description in unexpected places.  Doesn't like it when the theater gives you the wrong or broken headphones.
Ed Vaughan		Doesn't watch much TV
Dan Smith		Doesn't watch movies.  Would like audio descriptions on airplanes
Jordyn Castor		Queer eye descriptions.  Also likes watching Finding Mime with her little siblings.
Jim Barbour		Grew up without it, didn't feel like he needed it.  Once he discovered it, he feel in love with it.
Christina Daniels	Reduces cognitive load when watching shows and movies.  Doesn't like the fragmentation and ownership issues around copyright

2. August minutes were approved.

3. June minutes were approved.

4. Treasurer balance was $5 less than less month.   So, $739.07 - $5.00 = $734.07

5. State Convention

"No party bus, just party BART!!!"

November 7th through 10th in Milpitas

Pre-registration form from the convention page: http://www.nfbcal.org/convention
Registration: $50
Banquet:      $60
Room Rate:    $129.00 per night

Hotel includes full breakfast and manager's reception in the evening.

Remember that we loose our hotel block on October 15th, so please pre-register before October 15th.  Once you've pre-registered for the convention, you will get information about how to contact the hotel and the discount code.

San Francisco needs to donate a basket for fundraising.

Christina suggests something down to earth.

Lisamaria adds that baskets that travel well and don't take up too much space will also do well.

Serena promises to provide Ghirardelli chocolate.

Amy suggests chocolate and romantic

Jim Suggests warm and cozy basket

Lisamaria offered to make chocolate massage oil

Volunteers to make a basket committee

    1. Wanda
    2. Bobbi
    3. Cindy

Someone suggested a warm, cozy blanket, and the chapter secretary adds his strong approval.

Contacting Karen Steele is a good idea for ideas and checking in.

We should also plan to donate a few door prizes.  Looking for 2 volunteers to go seeking door prize donations.  Lisamaria volunteered herself and Serena.  Richie also volunteered.

6. Scholarships

Our own Bobbi Pompey is chairing the scholarship committee this year.  If you are, or know, a blind student in California, please encourage them to apply.

Several Scholarships of around $1,000, plus all convention costs will be awarded.

We gave away a door prize of a "Hand crafted 16 OZ lavender and sandalwood body scrub" to Bryan Bashin.  This was donated by Lisamaria.  Thanks Lisamaria!

7.  Guest Speaker

Bryan introduced Anna and Lukash from Poland.  They are doing research into blindness philosophy in the US.  We asked them to talk about their work.

Anna says that we have a very special kind of Blindness philosophy.  Anna has been here for 2 months and has decided that it's very important that blindness is not only a disability, but is also part of our identity, and we should be proud of that.  Proud of our canes, and our independence.

Anna also believes that people here are very open minded and are willing to share their stories and experiences.  In the US, we have a community to share these experiences.

Anna would like to take these ideas back to Poland and share them there.

Lukash was surprised how it works as a team. Lukash likes that we are willing to work as a team and learn from each other.  The implementation of philosophy in daily lives.  You are willing to fight for your rights and share your experiences.  Lukash saw folks at the job fair and working with rehab agencies as partners.

Ed asked if they were blind. Anna says that she is blind. Lukash says that he is low vision.

8.  Bell ringing

Bobbi and Serena are bringing bell ringing into the Lighthouse, and want to bring it to our chapter meetings as well.  Ringing the bell indicates an accomplishment for a blind person.

    1.  Lisa Irving Pardini has started her training at the Louisiana Center for the Blind.
    2.  Jordyn's family is going to China to adopt their second blind child.
    3.  Lisamaria took all 3 of her children to a water park and kept track and cared for all of them.
    4.  One of Richie's mentees, Gabe Cazeres, just moved from Baltimore to Houston to take a job as director of disabilities for the Houston mayor's office.
    5.  Richie received his first ever performance raise.
    6.  Susan submitted a painting to an art show at a national nurses convention here in San Francisco.  She made a painting in 4 days using her fingers, and submitted it.  The show is called "Recognition", the intersection between healthcare and under-recognized groups.  Painting is 3 people with white canes.  The painting got accepted, and Susan got a $500 honorarium.

9.  Meet the blind month Projects.

    1.  Roundtable with Ting's TVI students.

    2.  Jamie suggested serving the homeless at a church.

    3.  People could read books in Braille at the SF library.

    4.  The "Oakland First Friday" festival needs volunteers to help solicit donations.
	 Lisamaria, Serena, Jaimie, Jim, Amy, Christina, and Jordyn expressed interest. Laura, Christina, Jim, and Kit volunteered.  Well done you'all!

         Also, thanks to Laura for getting this started, and Christina for coordinating this.

10. National Braille Press

Lisamaria talked about the National Braille Press and how they are helping blind people get their hands onto Braille.  They do fundraisers throughout the year including their yearly gala, and running the Boston Marathon.

They also do 5k runs and with those runs they do a blindfold challenge.  The asked about Bay to Breakers. Lisamaria said "yes, but let's talk about the blindfold challenge."  They agreed and though it might be fun if the NFB San Francisco were willing to partner with the National Braille Press to raise money for both organizations.

Ed asked if some of the money raised go to the NFB.

Lisamaria says yes.

Sarah asked about a roadmap to help us figure out how to do this.

Lisamaria said she's look into it.

Bobbi calls for a motion

We took a vote and people are interested in discussing this further.

Next Meeting is Tuesday, October 8th at 6 PM.

Meeting Adjourned!