[NFBSF] Locally-based , time tested organizations helping to move BLM into real practice in the world

Susan Kitazawa plantpoems at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 23:33:23 UTC 2020

Hi, all,
      I just made a personal donation, after researching this, too Equal Justice Society. They’re a national organization, based in Oakland, CA. They’ve been  doing their work  for almost 20 years.
       I chose them because they focus on systemic change.

Their two-prong approach:  first, changing law and policy and, second, trainings to increase leaders awareness and understanding of unconscious bias.

 Unconscious bias gets in the way even when laws have changed.
       Their director and co-founder Ms. Eva Patterson spoke recently on the news. This is how I first learned of the organization.
       Another excellent organization that I’ve supported through many years is Alive and Free. They do work nationally and internationally, but are a relatively small non-prophet, based in San Francisco. Their co-founder and director Dr. Joseph Marshall promotes a community-based problem-solving approach to violence prevention
The organization  focuses on violence prevention trainings and mentoring and educating. Every year they send a group of young people of color, mostly African-American, to college.
      I would encourage everyone to check out the websites for both of these organizations and consider donating to one or both if your circumstances allow you to do this.
       It would be great if some of the chapter money could go to them, too. The groups on Ricky‘s list look good, though I‘m less familiar with them.
      If it matters to anyone, the founders/directors of both of these organizations are African Americans who have advocated tirelessly for the community.
       I was very heartened by Mark Riccobono‘s emailed comments and am happy to learn that the chapter is putting energy into this.
      Apologies for a rather long message. This is something I have cared passionately about since childhood.
      Sorry also for not including links to the websites. I don’t know how to get them into this Reply All message due to my tech limitations.
     The names of the two organizations, again, are Equal  Justice Society  and  Alive and Free.
Greetings and love to all,
Susan Kitazawa

Sent from Susan’s eyeToy