[NFBSF] New opportunity at Lighthouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired in San Francisco: Director of People and Culture

Edward Garcia EGarcia at lighthouse-sf.org
Tue Sep 22 09:41:00 UTC 2020

Hello to all of you friends of LightHouse.  I am reaching out to you regarding a special position that is open at our agency. This position is critical not only to our Human Resources Team but to our entire Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired agency.

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking for a full-time Director of People and Culture, (DPC), to fill a valued role in our growing organization.

Our organization is committed to establishing and codifying a culture, workforce and service that is blind positive, reflects our society and stands against discrimination in any form.

The LightHouse has experienced significant growth in our social enterprises as well as changes to our remote workforce. This growth has led to the need for additions to our organizational structure to support our growing team.

Let me know if you have any questions. The job announcement is included within this email below with a description and instructions on how to apply. It is also included as an attachment for those with that preference. Please review and share with candidates you feel would be great candidates for this role.

 Regards and best wishes that you all remain well.

[Title: LightHouse Logo in persimmon and black.  - Description: ightHouse Logo in persimmon and black. The word Lighthouse is bookended by a braille L and a braille H. Words read LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired.]

LIGHTHOUSE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

POSITION:      Director, People and Culture
REPORTS TO:                  Senior Director, Operations

APPLICATION DEADLINE:           Open Until Filled

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, headquartered in downtown San Francisco, is looking for a Full-time Director of People and Culture.

Role Overview

Under the Senior Director of Operation's direction, the Director of People and Culture, DPC, will serve as a key leader in bringing the organization to the realization of the goal of establishing and codifying a culture, workforce and service that reflects our society and stands against discrimination in any form. The position will be a key factor in leading the organization to reflect a blind positive workplace culture.

The Director of People and Culture will lead and oversee strategic initiatives, human resources, and culture building at LightHouse for the Blind.  The DPC role is focused on senior level strategy, advice, policy making, training and execution of culture building programs.

LightHouse has experienced significant growth in our social enterprises as well as changes to our remote workforce. This growth has led to the need for additions to our organizational structure to support our growing team.

Qualifications:
Education:

  *   Required Bachelors level degree in Organizational Development, Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion or a similar field of work
  *   Preferred Master's degree in Organizational Development, Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion or a similar field of work
  *   Preferred HR Certification, Coaching Certification

Experience:
The LightHouse welcomes nontraditional applicants and applicants with diverse backgrounds and experience.

The Lighthouse is looking for a Director with experience working in a diverse work environment with a disability-positive, anti-ableist, anti-racist philosophy and experience with disability or marginalized populations

In addition, we seek 5 years of experience in organizational development, culture building, community advocacy or higher-level HR policymaking and execution.

The successful candidate must embody the values of cultural competency, professionalism, respect, and discernment.

This position will place a high value on a strong ability to write clearly, compellingly and with subtlety on matters of policy and intra-office communication.

We seek a Director with a high proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Office 365 suite, particularly Outlook, Word, and Excel as well as competence with video conferencing software.

This Director will have a high proficiency in use of HRIS systems, electronic record keeping, and remote or web or conference-based training platforms such as MS Teams or Zoom.

The successful candidate must have a strong ability to lead group trainings in an accessible, compelling, and clear manner

This Director is expected to possess experience in leading people and culture initiatives within a multi-site and remote based employment organization

PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:

  *   Ability to safely and properly use common office equipment
  *   Ability to sit at a desk and perform computer-intensive work for long periods of time; operate standard office equipment.
  *   The ability to work at offsite location(s) independently as needed. Occasional travel will be required to address HR-related matters at our Northern California satellite locations.

Job Responsibilities:
The Director of People and Culture duties are the following:

  *   The Director of People and Culture will lead and execute strategic initiatives in HR, Talent Life Cycle, Diversity and Inclusion, Professional Development and Culture Building
o   The DPC will develop comprehensive New Employee Induction, Mentoring/Coaching programs and other trainings on blindness and disability
o   The Director will Develop and execute training programs for Leaders and Managers in the adoption of new policies and programs
o   The DPC will launch and facilitate the Lighthouse Diversity Council

  *   The Director of People and Culture will advise Executive Leadership on strategy and actions in areas of DPC focus
  *   The DPC will provide background and policy options for use by the CEO and, when requested, by the Lighthouse Board of Directors
  *   The Director will advise the CEO on organizational development including developing and reimagining structures and processes that impact employee experience
  *   The DPC will serve on the Administrative Team advising on organizational direction
  *   The DPC will serve as liaison with the current professional employer organization (PEO)
  *   The DPC will directly supervise all HR Departmental staff positions and serve as the point of escalation for HR related concerns
  *   The DPC will have the ability to navigate complex systems and identities within organization
  *   The DPC will lead the HR department in completing all compliance related reporting
  *   The DPC will lead training and initiatives in coaching and mentoring across differences
  *   In coordination with our ADP HR Business Partner, the DPC will oversee updates of our employee handbook, policies, and procedures to reflect the new culture as it is built.

Other Duties:  Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.

Who We Are:
LightHouse has an audacious mission - to transform the lives of the 40,000-blind people in the greater Bay Area and beyond. We do this through tech design, disability advocacy, consultation, classes, and community formation in San Francisco, our four satellite offices and Enchanted Hills Camp in Napa. We are a fun, fascinating, widely diverse, warm, and friendly community. We work in downtown San Francisco in a 40,000 square foot state-of-the-art workspace renowned for its universal design, steps from Civic Center BART. LightHouse is working for nothing less than to change the future for blind people and the wider community.
Within a five-minute walk are the world headquarters for Twitter, Uber, Dolby, Zendesk and many other tech giants. Within three blocks are all the principal building for Northern California's federal, state, and local government. Also, in our neighborhood are many theaters, San Francisco Symphony and Opera, the Asian Art Museum, and dozens of other key cultural anchors of the entire Bay Area.
The successful candidate will join a unique organization in which blind and sighted professionals work together at every level. Our governing Board of Directors, management and staff are all composed of roughly equal numbers of blind and sighted people, a parity unprecedented in our field.
Founded in 1902, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired provides skills, resources, and community for the advancement of all individuals who are blind or have low vision. Our innovative programs have been featured in 60 Minutes, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal and beyond. The blind community comes to LightHouse to learn how to travel independently with a white cane, to rejoin the workforce, use accessible technology, and meet a community of mentors and peers. From unique tactile maps, to an unparalleled camp for blind campers, to a world prize for blind ambition, LightHouse offers programs unavailable elsewhere

Learn About Us:

LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1155 Market Street, 10th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
www.lighthouse-sf.org<http://www.lighthouse-sf.org>

Employee Benefits:
The LightHouse offers a rich package of benefits, including medical, vision and dental insurance. Employees are eligible for an employer-matched 401(k) plan and subsidized health club membership, among many other perks.
Compensation:
Depending on Experience; industry competitive

How to Apply:
Please visit our website at https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/<https://lighthouse-sf.org/about/careers/senior-executive-assistant/> and complete an application as well as a cover letter and résumé as word processing attachments, (no PDFs please).

Please submit them to Brandon Cox the Senior Director of Operations at bcox at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:bcox at lighthouse-sf.org>. Please include the job title in the subject line. We will not consider videos or hyperlinks to online profiles. Due to time constraints we will only respond to complete submissions. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Ed Garcia
Human Resources Generalist
Lighthouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired
egarcia at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:egarcia at lighthouse-sf.org>
650-759-0470

Ed Garcia
Human Resources Generalist
Lighthouse for the Blind & Visually Impaired

egarcia at lighthouse-sf.org<mailto:egarcia at lighthouse-sf.org>
650-759-0470

Lighthouse Staff have invented a wide range of online events and classes, nearly all of them free, to help keep you busy and engaged throughout the summer. Take your pick of technology, daily living skills, health and wellness or Orientation & Mobility. Go to our calendar for the full listing and WAYS TO SIGN UP<https://lighthouse-sf.org/calendar>.