[NFBSF] Robotic guide dog prototype?

Jessie Lorenz jessie.lorenz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 21:06:01 UTC 2021

Greetings,
I think a robot guide dog,  in tandem with other travel skills could be amazing and revolutionary.
I have had working dogs for over 20 years. The warm  blooded partnership   is magical, reassuring and creates a sense of companionship.  Yet, a   robot could replace a dog in a lot of practical ways. Robots could be distributed to a wider range of people in the community along the visually impaired continuum, no matter their age or other disabilities. Robots could be taught specific routes or how to respond in certain situations, and be helpful by translating information about what’s around you, either using maps or LiDAR.
From a marketing perspective they should not call it a robot guide dog, that will not fly within the blindness community, Who love our dogs! 😎   I’d like a  robot assistant like R2-D2.
A lot of these projects are sighted people projecting their ideas onto a blind person‘s life. i’ve never seen this project, so I have nothing to say on the project or If this     specific robot is helpful.  In short,  think the robot  idea itself is cool.

Composed  on iPhone using Siri.