[NFBV-Alexandria] Reminder: Greater Alexandria Chapter meeting with Vice Mayor Williams

BrianMiller brianrmiller88 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 23:12:44 UTC 2017

Dear members of the Greater Alexandria Chapter of the NFB,

I hope all those who attended the 2017 NFB national convention in Orlando
have had a chance to recover and catch up on some sleep. I look forward to
hearing some of your stories at our next meeting to be held Thursday, July
27, at 7:00pm.

Our guest at this meeting will be vice mayor Justin Williams. He has asked,
and I think it is a good idea, to forward a few sample questions to him
prior to our meeting so that he can best prepare to discuss with the chapter
our concerns. Bonnie O'Day, who has arranged for this visit, offers a few
suggestions below, but I invite the entire chapter to submit some questions
they would like to ask, and I will compile and give them to Bonnie to
forward to vice mayor Williams.

This is a very unique opportunity for our chapter to introduce the NFB and
the concerns of the blind community to one of Alexandria's political
leaders, so I encourage as many of you as possible to send me questions, but
more importantly, to attend our meeting. Let's show vice mayor Williams how
strong this movement is!

Here are some sample questions from Bonnie:

1. Vision Zero: What is it and how will it improve safety for pedestrians?

2. Transit: What is the funding status of Metro, Dash, and DOT paratransit?
Are there any plans for expansion or changes in the future?

3. Internet: What is the status of bids for additional Internet providers in
Alexandria? Will there be competition among providers anytime soon?

4. Waterfront: What is the plan to expand the Alexandria Waterfront? (This
is less important than the other three items)

Please send me your questions or comments by the end of the day on Monday,
July 24. Of course we will allow for spontaneous questions during the
meeting, but it would be good to have a few things for the vice mayor to
consider prior to arrival.

I will send a full meeting agenda on Monday, July 24, along with the usual
reminders about times, places, and directions. Please let me know if you
have any questions or suggestions prior to the meeting.

I look forward to seeing everyone next Thursday!

Sincerely,

Brian M

President, Greater Alexandria Chapter of the NFB of Virginia

you at the meeting