[Nfbv-announce] FW: Braille.org E-newsletter, Issue 3

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Sat Nov 15 06:13:57 UTC 2008

  _____

From: Braille Literacy Team [mailto:brailleliteracy at nfb.org]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 2:44 PM
To: fschroeder at sks.com
Subject: Braille.org E-newsletter, Issue 3

 Braille coin and Braille Readers are Leaders banner
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11418.gif>

NATIONAL ADVISORY GROUP

Marc Maurer

The Honorable Pat Schroeder

NATIONAL AMBASSADORS

Terry Bradshaw

Michael Hingson

Dr. Geerat Vermeij

View
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=svDulKYBrSySMXkMoDNeLQ..> this
message as HTML in your browser

November 14, 2008, Issue #3

A Note from Dr. Fred Schroeder

For years, we have used our Braille Readers are Leaders Campaign to
encourage children to read. We have worked with parents, teachers, and
school officials to spread the message that with the proper training and
education, blind children in this country will be able to grow up and lead
full and productive lives. This program has been successful, and we have
reached many with it.

But now comes the time when we must increase our efforts, when we must
elevate the positive message of Braille to new heights.

The unemployment rate for the blind of this country stands at a staggering
70 percent, yet of those blind people who are employed, 85 percent use
Braille in some form on the job. We understand this; we understand that
there is a direct relationship between being literate and being employed. We
understand that Braille enables us to be active in our churches,
communities, schools, and government, and that through it, we are able to
obtain a much greater level of independence. However, we must make this
known to the rest of the nation. We must tell them that if our children
continue to be raised without being taught to read Braille, the unemployment
rate among the blind will rise even higher, placing a heavier strain on the
taxpayers and denying an entire class of people full participation in
society.

Each of you has been there in the past. You have helped us spread the
positive philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind. You have
advocated in the legislatures and the classrooms for Braille literacy for
all blind people. You have given your time and your resources to make our
dreams of literacy for blind children a reality.

Now, though, is the time for us to take those next critical strides in our
work.

Our progress has already begun; all of us, working together, have passed
legislation authorizing the striking of the Louis Braille Bicentennial
Commemorative Coin. But this is only the beginning. As we approach the two
hundredth anniversary of the birth of Louis Braille, our efforts must
continue. We must be out among the public demonstrating the necessity of
Braille for all blind people. We must advocate for legislation mandating
that teachers of the blind learn to read Braille so that they can teach it
to their students. We must work together to develop new and innovative
methods of teaching it, sharing it, and promoting it.

Never before has such an aggressive campaign to promote and spread the use
of Braille been launched in the history of the blindness movement, and I am
confident that working together, we will all rise to the challenge. As we
move into the new year, we will continue to work tirelessly, and we will
show the nation and the world that Braille readers truly are leaders.

How You Can Help

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, many of you will gather with
family and friends to celebrate the beginning of the holiday season. Be sure
to take advantage of this opportunity to share information about the Braille
literacy campaign.

As always,
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=qpiwFJ2q9w434qMljWfWJQ..>
please encourage people to join this campaign list. This campaign is an
excellent vehicle for us to build our list of individuals who want to learn
more about Braille, want to help with Braille literacy, or are interested in
buying coins. Every new subscriber is another opportunity for us to share
our message, a message that carries with it the hopes and dreams of a future
filled with equality and opportunity for every blind American.

Cut and paste this link to join the NFB-Braille Commemorative Coin &
Literacy Campaign:
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=9cp57o7mb2mVHQ-d41LsTg..>
http://tinyurl.com/6jdajq.

The Impact of Braille

Do you know a Braille reader who is a great leader? If so, please let us
know. You can e-mail your stories of Braille readers who are leaders to
<mailto:emakowske at nfb.org> emakowske at nfb.org.

Coming Up

Baltimore Coin Show-Baltimore Convention Center, November 20-22, 2:00-6:00
p.m. on Thursday, and 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, free
admission

The National Federation of the Blind has partnered with Whitman Coin and
Collectibles Conventions (
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=XaLx3bXxdQsl275RkwOi2g..>
http://www.whitmanexpo.com/) to promote the Braille Readers are Leaders
campaign among coin collectors. The Baltimore Coin and Currency Convention
is one of the nation's premier collectibles shows, open to the public and
attracting more than ten thousand visitors three times per year.

Visitors to the show will be greeted by large posters featuring the Braille
dollar's design. The National Federation of the Blind will have a booth at
the convention where NFB volunteers will introduce the organization to coin
collectors and collectors can learn more about this special silver dollar.
Visitors can also sign up for updates about the coin and the Braille Readers
are Leaders campaign and to learn more about how they can support the NFB's
mission.

For more information on Baltimore Coin and Currency Convention activities,
read the
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=LW7FBZHCVDbMQk49b7PCrw..>
press release.

Also

Need Braille Books? Want to get rid of some old Braille books but cannot
find anyone to take them? Wondering how to build your Braille book library?
Want to help get more books into the hands of blind children? Never fear,
the ShareBraille revolution is coming. . . in our next issue.

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/PixelServer?j=kyXhCOA4Kh2I3VlHRePL
EQ..>

 Photo: Blind girl reading Braille
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10799.gif>

 Jim Portill assists Tim Kelly on a Braillewriter
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/photos/thumb_10805.jpg>

 Photo: Blind girl reading
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/10624.bmp>

 A child reading a Braille book
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11437.jpg>

 NFB Braille Readers are Leaders logo
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11445.jpg>

Visit
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=uxklmbwjl1acnYI3ry5nYA..>
Braille.org                                                        Visit the
U.S. Mint
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=uRzxdMyUuyOPYPNx3KoYGw..>

National Federation of the Blind
1800 Johnson Street