[Nfbv-announce] FW: For Immediate Distribution - Important

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon Nov 17 23:41:40 UTC 2008

  _____

From: Kristi Bowman [mailto:kbowman at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 5:59 PM
To: fschroeder at sks.com
Subject: For Immediate Distribution - Important

 National Federation of the Blind logo
<http://nfb.convio.net/images/wrpr/logo_masthead_left.jpg> 	 Graphic
Photo boy with cane on the beach
<http://nfb.convio.net/images/content/pagebuilder/10497.jpg> 	 March for
Independence logo
<http://nfb.convio.net/images/wrpr/logo_masthead_right.jpg>

   Graphic Logo: NFB Jernigan Institute
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/images/content/pagebuilder/11065.jpg>

Motor City
March for Independence
e-News

Special e-News Announcement!

November 17, 2008

Colleagues:

Over the past few weeks I have visited with Mark Riccobono, executive
director of our NFB Jernigan Institute and Dr. Fred Schroeder, president of
our Virginia affiliate and chair of our Braille Literacy Campaign.  Our
discussions have focused on the synergy between the Braille Literacy
Campaign and the Imagination Fund, and be assured there is dynamic synergy
between the two projects.  The product of our discussions is the "white
paper" that follows.  I hope you will find it helpful and inspiring as we
move on to our work ahead.

2008-09 Imagination Fund Campaign
One Million for Literacy

This year's NFB Imagination Fund Campaign will continue to build on our past
success and will expand our effort to the largest campaign yet.  During this
campaign cycle our focus is on continuing to give our Imaginators a variety
of tools to solicit contributions and promote the ongoing work of the
Federation.  Additionally, we want to leverage our Imagination Fund work as
an opportunity to promote the NFB's leadership in Braille literacy.  The NFB
has launched the largest campaign for Braille literacy ever undertaken and
the NFB Imagination Fund is an important way for you to encourage friends,
family, business associates, and members of the public to contribute to new
opportunities by giving to the Imagination Fund.

Some members have asked about the distinction between our work in the
Imagination Fund and our work in 2009 around the Braille literacy campaign.
Think of it this way:

The Imagination Fund widens our circle of support by encouraging those
outside the Federation to support the important work we are doing by giving
financial contributions.

The Braille Literacy Campaign creates widespread public awareness about
Braille, encourages people to purchase the U.S. Louis Braille Commemorative
Silver Dollar and builds awareness about the National Federation of the
Blind.

In other words, in terms of fundraising we want NFB members to focus on
securing support for the Imagination Fund.  And, of course, the dollars
contributed to the NFB Imagination Fund will support our Braille Literacy
Campaign effort by building:

- The initiatives of the NFB Jernigan Institute, including innovative
research, education, and technology development related to Braille literacy

- Braille outreach programs developed by NFB affiliates to address specific
Braille literacy concerns in local communities

- Leadership and support in local chapters to provide mentoring to newly
blind individuals and families with blind children, and

- Previously unimagined programs to change what it means to be blind.

The NFB does need to provide matching funds in order to secure funds
generated from the sale of the Louis Braille coin.  However, we are making
specific outreach efforts to corporations, foundations, and other large
donors to secure those funds.  This is largely being managed by the national
office and the Braille Literacy team headed by Fred Schroeder.  If you know
of funding sources that you can secure to support the Braille Literacy
initiative, you should contact Dr. Schroeder so he can work with you to
follow up.  Otherwise, NFB members should focus their individual fundraising
efforts on the Imagination Fund culminating in our Motor City March for
Independence in Detroit.

The pending release of the U.S. Louis Braille Commemorative Coin and our
public outreach around Braille literacy provides a perfect vehicle to talk
to members of the public about Braille literacy and encourage them to
support us.  Thus, NFB members should continue to see the NFB Imagination
Fund as our primary way to bring new dollars of support to our movement.
This year we will raise one million dollars and at the same time we will
forever change Braille literacy in this country.

As you can see the director of the Jernigan Institute, the coordinator of
our Braille Campaign and the Imagination Fund chair have put together an
integrated, robust initiative.

Now on to registration...
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=pIPaQ_qyGmVSI87lBUqz9Q..>
Register Now!

It's critical to begin raising Imagination Fund dollars now!

Support the NFB Jernigan Institute, our Braille Literacy Expansion, and your
local affiliate. Get the buy-in from your family, friends and community.

If you registered and marched last year, do it again for the '09 campaign.
Please
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=ek2M52cMbPqM76SfiA-0iQ..>
re-register before the holidays at
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=oZt8kdBV-rZePnfqCp2NSA..>
http://www.marchforindependence.org/.

For assistance and additional info about registering, call Kristi Bowman,
(410) 659-9314, x2406. To sign up as a lead Imaginator, call Kevan at (866)
543-6808.  And, for info about Braille Literacy or the Louis Braille
commemorative coin, visit
<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/R?i=LFlQgZhiY45udGY4NDudug..>
http://www.braille.org/ .

At Your Service,

Kevan Worley
Imagination Fund/March for Independence Chair
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

<http://www.marchforindependence.org/site/PixelServer?j=A2cPqMHlYihiZ2ATkVyM
kQ..>
Unsubscribe