[Nfbv-announce] Monticello Volunteers Needed!

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon Mar 23 12:08:46 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Emily Tenhundfeld [mailto:etenhundfeld at monticello.org]
Sent: Fri 3/20/2009 4:21 PM
Subject: Monticello Volunteers Needed!

Good afternoon,

My name is Emily Tenhundfeld and I am employed by the Thomas Jefferson
Foundation, which owns and operates Monticello, the mountaintop home of
Thomas Jefferson.  We are a private, non-profit organization, with a mission
of education and preservation.  A major part of the education we extend to
our visitors takes place on our guided tours.  Currently, we have only a few
people we can call upon to accompany blind visitors on a "touch" tour of the
house, or provide sign language interpretation for the tour.  Typically, we
need a few weeks of advanced notice, and even then we don't have an large
base to pull from.  We would like to improve the services we are able to
offer, but as you know, non-profit budgets are tighter than ever these days.

I am seeking your help to find volunteers in the Charlottesville area who
may have an interest in working with blind or deaf visitors.  We are hoping
to strengthen the services we provide visitors with hearing or vision loss,
and having this kind of skilled help would be an enormous benefit to
everyone.  Of course, if you have other interests in volunteering for
Monticello I would like to know them as well.  Volunteers who can commit to
at least a few hours every month will be eligible for shop discounts and
other benefits.

Please forward this message on to anyone in the deaf and blind communities
who you think may have an interest in helping us preserve Jefferson's legacy
and become part of our Foundation family.  If you are interested or have any
questions, please contact me by e-mail or phone at any time.

Thank you so much for your time, and I hope to communicate with you soon.

Sincerely,

Emily Tenhundfeld
Human Resources Coordinator
Thomas Jefferson Foundation, Inc.