[Nfbv-announce] NFBV Vigilant - Fall 2009

lpovinelli lpovinelli at aol.com
Wed Jan 13 19:49:07 UTC 2010

NFB Vigilant

Fall 2009
 “Voice of Virginia's Blind"

In This Issue:

·  Richmond Seminar January 18-19 2010
·  Membership Committee Report
·  New Prince William Chapter
·  The 2009 Virginia Student Leadership Seminar (Blow Out)
·  PCNFB Marine Corps Marathon Participation Hailed
·  Resolutions Adopted at 2009 State Convention
·  The Power of a Two Letter Word:  Impressions from Convention
·  Reflections from McDonald Fellowship Winners of the National Convention
·  Chapter/Division Roll Call
·  Chapter Meetings
·  Vigilant Report
·  How You Can Assist Us
·  State Officers
·  Vigilant Production Staff
·  NFBV Calendar of Events

Richmond Seminar January 18-19 2010

We now have our dates for our annual visit to Richmond.  Monday, January 18, Martin Luther King Day, our Board meeting will begin at 3:00 p.m. at the Crown Plaza Hotel, 555 E. Canal Street, Richmond, VA 23219.  We will be staying overnight at the Crown Plaza on Monday, January 18 and visit our General Assembly members Tuesday, January 19.  We will gather at the General Assembly building by 8:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.  The Crown Plaza Hotel is approximately ten blocks from the General Assembly Building at 910 Capitol Street, Richmond, VA.
The Crown Plaza hotel room rate is $75 plus tax.  The deadline for making reservations is January 11, 2010.  The phone number at the hotel is 804-788-0900.  We are encouraging members to share hotel rooms.  If you wish to reserve a single room you will only be reimbursed for half the room cost.  Each person is responsible for making their own hotel room reservations and the cost of meals.  Following the Monday afternoon board meeting, we often go to dinner as a large group and of course all are free to do as you wish Monday evening, nothing is formal.  Following our visit to the General Assembly, we will meet at the Randolph-Sheppard Cafeteria a block from the General Assembly Building for lunch and to exchange information about our team visits.
If you or your chapter or division members have never been to a Richmond Seminar, please plan to come this year.  When we visit our lawmakers, we visit in teams so no one is alone.  All chapter and division presidents, please let Seville Allen know the names of individuals in your chapter or division who will be visiting their legislators.  We will organize teams to make sure that we cover all lawmakers we will need to visit.  You may send those names to Seville Allen at ceoallen at verizon.net.
          With regards to transportation, each chapter is responsible for making transportation arrangements for its members.  If your chapter members need to discuss financial assistance the chapter president is the first place to begin handling financial requests.   Come to Richmond, and if you have any questions about the legislative portion of the seminar please ask by email to ceoallen at verizon.net or call 703-243-0107.

Membership Committee Report
By John Bailey, Membership Committee Chairman

Over the past six months, the NFBV has added two additional chapters.  Last spring, we welcomed the Greater Warrenton Chapter and in November, we welcomed in the Greater Staunton Chapter.
The President of the Greater Warrenton Chapter is Amy Harwood.  Amy is very new to the Federation.  In spite of her newness, Amy has incorporated the positive message of the NFB and is leading her chapter to reach out and build membership.  Amy is also reaching out to other organizations in the area in order to build beneficial community partnerships that will assist the region’s blind population.
The Greater Staunton Chapter is being lead by Dawn Jenkins.  Dawn is no stranger to the NFBV and she has hit the ground running with ideas and goals for her new chapter.  We congratulate both Amy and Dawn for their decision to become leaders in our great organization.  We all will benefit from their participation.
In the works are starting chapters in both the Prince William and Harrisonburg areas.  You may be aware that the state NFB had chapters in those areas in past years.  I am working to start new ones in those areas because every person should have the opportunity to become a member of a NFB local chapter.
Our state President Fred Schroeder has given me the goal of starting a Roanoke chapter in the next few months.  In order to fulfill that goal, I am looking for people living in Roanoke and surrounding areas who would like to assist in getting a chapter started.  Right now, I need people who would be interested in attending a Roanoke chapter once it has been established.
If you live in Virginia and would like a local chapter near you, please contact John Bailey at 703.994.2040 or via email at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com and let me know.  In just a few weeks, you can be attending local monthly chapter meetings along with others from your community.

Announcing the First Meeting of the New
Prince Williams Chapter of the NFB
By John Bailey, Membership Committee Chairman

The new Prince William Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind will hold its first meeting on Saturday, January 28, 2010.  Meeting attendees will be gathering the board room of the Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission, located at 14700 Potomac Mills Road, Woodbridge, VA 22192.  Everyone is welcome!  We promise information and fellowship.
If you are unable to attend and wish to be informed of future Prince William chapter events and programs, please contact Jody Silverberg at 703-730-1716.  Jody can also be reached via email at mozbud at aol.com.
Many people who have vision loss often miss being able to read the newspaper independently.  NFB-NEWLINE is an over-the –phone free service which makes available over 300 national and local newspapers to Virginians.  It enables them to continue reading periodicals whenever and wherever they want.  All that is needed to start receiving NFB-NEWSLINE is a subscription and a telephone.  The call is local.
Among the highlights of the meeting will be a presentation from a representative of the NFB-NEWLINE.  He will be focusing on how to easily access all the features built into NFB-NEWSLINE by simply pressing the phone buttons.  New subscribers will also be able to sign up for the NFB-NEWSLINE at that time.

The 2009 Virginia Student Leadership Seminar (Blow Out): A Report
By John Bailey, Blow Out Organizer
During the weekend of October 23-25 at the NFB National Center in Baltimore, 22 Virginia high school students along with several blind mentors arrived together to share a weekend of discovery, empowerment and friendship.
The 2009 Virginia Student Leadership Seminar (aka Blow out) is a weekend where blind high school students between the ages of 14 and 20 come together to explore the meaning of vision loss and to expand their ideas of just what a blind person is capable of in their personal and professional life.  The goal for the weekend was to actively demonstrate that vision loss does not necessarily mean a loss of independence or capability.
In order to demonstrate that blind people (like sighted ones) can follow their dreams and can utilize their skills to create a life of their choosing, the students were able to spend hours with successful blind mentors.
The mentors were chosen from around the state.  The criteria for being a mentor were the ability of incorporating the positive philosophy of the NFB into their own lives along with the ability to communicate this philosophy.  Many Federationists possess these abilities and the Blow Out was fortunate to have several of them participate for this very important weekend.
This was the second Blow Out held by the NFBV.  The first one was held in October of 2007 and was a great success.  The 2009 Blow Out took the lessons learned from the first event and built upon its success.
During the weekend, students were introduced to the idea that because they are blind, does not mean that they have to be isolated and alone.  We showed them that by being part of the largest blind consumer organization in the United States, they have access to enormous amounts of information and influence.
Along with introducing them to the power of the NFB, we taught the students that blindness need not be an impediment to full participation.  We showed that by sharing the stories of the mentors with them.  The stories showed that many of the frustrations that the students face are the very same ones faced by those who came before them.
The mentors shared their stories of challenge, frustration, and eventual victory over the hurdles they faced while pursuing their goals of having the lives they wanted.  The students were able to ask questions of the mentors and the mentors shared their experiences freely.
As part of the goal of teaching the students that many of the barriers posed by vision loss are artificial, the mentors worked closely with the students in ‘Challenge Activities.’   A challenge activity consists of a student (working alongside of a mentor) having to overcome a perceived limitation in order to complete a task.
The challenge activities the students participated in were: climbing a ladder in order to replace a light bulb, navigating the neighborhood streets using only a cane and their other senses, breaking a wooden board with only their palm, learning some basic Judo moves, and finally, learning to operate a chainsaw safely.  All the challenge activities were accomplished while wearing sleep shades to block out all vision.
At the end of the weekend, both the students and mentors had spent many hours working, learning, and laughing with each other.  Each student was given a gift bag when they left the center.  Because of the generous gifts of support from the Potomac, Chesapeake, Blue Ridge, and Fairfax Chapters, each student also received an uncirculated silver Louis Braille coin.
Thanks goes to the staff of the National Center in Baltimore, the mentors who gave so freely of their time, the chapters who offered their financial support in order to purchase the coins, and to the NFB Imagination Fund for the grant which enabled us to pay for transportation for many of the students.

PCNFB Marine Corps Marathon Participation Hailed
By:  Nancy Yeager

“Thank you for being here.”  “Bless you.”  “Oh, oranges!”   These were some of the comments that the Potomac and other Northern Virginia NFB Chapter members heard as grateful runners passed by their food station and received their orange sections during the 2009 Marine Corps Marathon.
As a Meet the Blind Month activity, the Potomac Chapter signed up with the DC 2009 Marine Corps Marathon as a volunteer team.  The Marine Corps seeks volunteers to assist during the event in such areas as crowd control, information kiosks and food/water stations.  We had a table from which we were to serve oranges to runners as they passed by.  Since Potomac members did not want to have all of the fun, we asked other local chapters to join us in the event.  Our final team, otherwise known as the “Orange Slingers,” included members of the Potomac, Fairfax, Springfield and District of Columbia Chapters.
So on October 25, a crisp and clear morning, the Orange Slingers met at the Foggy Bottom Metro Station and walked the several blocks to Rock Creek Parkway to check-in at our assigned food station.  Some of our group found the trip itself a new and exciting experience.  According to Virginia Clark, of Springfield, “I really enjoyed riding the Metro and getting off at the correct stop and meeting up with all of you. ... I enjoyed walking with Annette from Riverdale. She could not hold my arm because of my crutches and she could not put her hand on my shoulder and follow me due to our similar heights.  I kept up a conversation of the surfaces and the surroundings we were approaching in order for her to hear my voice and I hers.”
Several helpful Marines and many, many, crates of pre-cut oranges awaited us when we arrived at our station.  The police had closed Rock Creek Parkway to traffic.  Three groups of tables were arranged on each side of the street. The Orange Slingers spread out along one side of the street while another volunteer group handled the other side.  By the time the cyclists and wheel chair users arrived, the tables were piled high with oranges. We all donned our serving gloves and got to work.
After the wheelchair users passed by then came the runners.  Based on the number of runners who thanked us as they took their oranges, it appeared that they were glad to have us.  Some of us stood behind the table, keeping it well stocked with pieces of juicy fruit for runners to grab as they ran past.  Others stood in the street, handing pieces of oranges to runners as they reached out for them.  On this day marathon participants knew that we were there to support their efforts and to cheer them on.  We, as Federationists were proud to be involved and show our community what it really means to be blind.

Resolutions Adopted at the 2009 Virginia State Convention,
Williamsburg, VA

Resolution 2009-01
Regarding Quiet Cars

WHEREAS, the blind have traveled independently and safely for many years, utilizing the white cane and guide dog; and

WHEREAS, an essential part of this successful effort has been attending to appropriate sound cues from motor vehicles; and

WHEREAS, the advent of hybrid and other alternatively powered vehicles has radically changed the auditory cues the blind utilize for safe mobility, making it difficult to gather adequate information for safe street crossing; and

WHEREAS, Congressman Towns of New York, Congressman Stearn of Florida and Senator Carey of Massachusetts have sought to address this problem by introducing H.R. 734 and S841, the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, in the 111th Congress; and

WHEREAS, this bill would provide for the Secretary of Transportation to work on effective solutions to this threat to the blind community with the automobile industry; and

WHEREAS, some 158 Representatives and 14 Senators have cosponsored this valuable legislation; and

WHEREAS, in the Virginia  delegation, Representatives Connolly, Forbes, Moran, and Wittman have cosponsored this bill:

Therefore, be it resolved on this the 15th day of November, 2009, in the city of Williamsburg, Virginia, that the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia in convention assembled  hereby commend and thank Reps. Connolly, Forbes, Moran and Wittman for co-sponsoring the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act and call upon the remaining Virginia legislators to promptly cosponsor this important legislation

Resolution 2009-02
Regarding inconsistency of DBVI Services

WHEREAS, the Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired (DBVI) exists to provide vocational rehabilitation and rehabilitation teaching services designed to help blind Virginians achieve employment and life goals as contributors to society; and

WHEREAS, the DBVI is divided into six regional offices, with a central office management team in Richmond, to assure that services are provided to all Virginians who request them and are eligible for them; and

WHEREAS, the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) often acts as an advocate for clients (customers) of the agency crossing all six regional offices; and

WHEREAS, over several years of observation, NFBV advocates find that quality of services varies from regional office to regional office with, for example, Norfolk DBVI counselors and managers taking specific actions as advocates for their customers and providing timely services not observed elsewhere; and

WHEREAS, DBVI clients, through their stories to us of their work with DBVI reflect  the varying quality of services from regional office to regional office; and

WHEREAS, all Virginians are entitled to equal services for which they are eligible:

Therefore, be it resolved by the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia in convention assembled this 15th day of November, 2009, in the city of Williamsburg, Virginia, that we urge the DBVI central Richmond management to review regional office practices and see to it that services are delivered equitably across the Commonwealth, using Norfolk practices as an example.

Resolution 2009-03
Regarding commendations for Delegate Knight

WHEREAS, The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) has maintained an excellent working relationship with the Virginia General Assembly for fifty years; and

WHEREAS, legislators step forward to patron legislation for which the ideas are developed by the NFBV; and

WHEREAS, Delegate Barry D. Knight of Virginia’s 81st district embraced the idea of requiring certification in Braille for those teaching Braille in the Commonwealth; and

WHEREAS, Delegate Knight patroned HB2224, the Braille certification bill in the 2009 General Assembly session, the delegate’s freshman year; and

WHEREAS, when the discussion around the legislation became complicated delegate Knight continued his unwavering support:

Therefore, be it resolved by the National Federation of the Blind in Convention assembled, this 15th day of November, 2009, in the City of Williamsburg, Virginia, that we commend Delegate Barry D. Knight’s efforts on our behalf, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we thank him for his work and enthusiasm.

Resolution 2009-04
Regarding The Blind Persons Return to Work Act

WHEREAS, blind persons have pursued gainful employment as independent and productive members of their communities; and

WHEREAS, when the blind have qualified for Social Security Disability Insurance, they experience a severe disincentive to pursuing further gainful employment due to the low earnings limit permitted before SSDI benefits are lost; and

Whereas Rep. John Lewis has introduced H.R. 886, the Blind Persons Return to Work Act, in the 111th Congress to substantially reduce this disincentive and to help blind persons return to work with the prospect of earning the incomes their training and talents merit; and

WHEREAS, 22 members of the House of Representatives have cosponsored this legislation; and

WHEREAS, Representatives  Wittman and Wolf of the Virginia Congressional delegation have cosponsored this important legislation:

Therefore,  be it resolved on this the 15th day of November, 2009, in the city of Williamsburg, Virginia, that the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia in convention assembled  hereby thanks and commends Reps. Wittman and Wolf for their support and calls upon the remainder of the Virginia  Congressional delegation to join with them in cosponsoring this important measure.

Resolution 2009-05
Regarding commending State Convention Coordinator
 (NFBV)

WHEREAS, our National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) 51st State Convention, held November 13-15, 2009, in the City of Williamsburg, Virginia, has been successfully organized and conducted; and

WHEREAS; Michael G. Kasey has served as the Coordinator of the State Convention now for two years, 2008 and 2009; and

WHEREAS, our 2009 convention will be recorded as a successful event having attracted an enthusiastic and participatory attendance, providing relevant and timely programming and networking opportunities, and having achieved financial goals;

Therefore, be it resolved in convention assembled this 15th day of November, 2009, in the city of Williamsburg, Virginia , that we express our appreciation to the State Convention Coordinator for a job well done.

Resolution 2009-06
Regarding Commending the Williamsburg Chapter for a Job Well Done

WHEREAS, our National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV) conventions continue to grow and administration of the convention becomes more complex; and

WHEREAS, in 2009, our Williamsburg Chapter took on the challenge of hosting our 2009 convention; and

WHEREAS, our 2009 convention operated efficiently and smoothly:

Therefore, be it resolved in convention assembled this 15th day of November, 2009, in the city of Williamsburg, Virginia, that we thank our Greater Williamsburg Chapter for a job well done.

Editorial Comment:  Diann C. Hall is the mother in law of Kathryn R. Hall who is the Administrative Assistant to Althea P. Pittman, Executive Director of the Eastern Shore Center for Independent Living.  Diann Hall is a resident of Hampton.  It was stated by Kathryn Hall that they would only be able to attend the Saturday session but I am pleased to see that a little of the NFB goes a long way.  Thanks family, for being yourselves, sharing love, fun, and encouragement with everyone.   Now enjoy this article sent by a first time attendee, Mrs. Diann C. Hall.

The Power in a Two Letter Word: Impressions from Convention
By:  Diann C. Hall

The Williamsburg convention of the NFB was my first personal encounter with this group.  As I was sitting and listening to articulate, well-informed speaker after speaker I was struck by the significance of the little word “of” on the banner behind them.  It read “National Federation of the Blind”, not for the blind but of the blind.  A group of people whom society labels “disabled and handicapped” were working together to take care of themselves.
I found this independence to be refreshing and inspiring.  I learned about the NFB while I sat there--some things poignant, some humorous, but mostly useful.  The most important thing I took away from the convention was, not the purse I won in the auction, but the realization that being blind is mostly just a nuisance and that I can make a difference in my own life as a visually impaired individual and in the lives of others.

Reflections from Convention
By:  Gail Jeffery

My name is Gail Jeffrey, I am a member of the Peninsula Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind.  I was awarded the McDonald Fellowship which enabled me to attend my first National Convention of the NFB in July 2009 and my first State Convention in November 2009. I’m also looking forward to attending the next National Convention in 2010.
Both conventions were definitely worth attending and I encourage those of you who may have given it some thought to just do it.  Attending the convention will definitely change your outlook on the blind community.  We are all capable of living out our potentials.
During the State Convention which was held in Williamsburg, Virginia I had the opportunity to share my experiences at the National Convention.  My fellow federationists made me feel most welcomed.  Included you will find my remarks given at the State Convention.

Reflections from 2009 National Convention
Good morning fellow federationists it is my pleasure to be here today.  During a Peninsula Chapter meeting I was encouraged to attend the National Convention.  At that time I had just established my own advocacy business, FACES Facilitating Advocacy for Children’s Educational Services and I thought this would be great for business.
Soon after arriving, I attended the Rookie Roundup.  As I sat in the audience listening to the speakers I realized that the speakers were blind professionals.  I was impressed at how they moved about with such precision.  I then had the opportunity to have breakfast with Dr. Schroder and a few others.  I was absolutely overwhelmed being in such good company.  Being blind was not the focus of the discussion and it felt good to be recognized as an individual rather than an individual with a disability.  I attended many workshops and obtained useful information. I also met some wonderful people from various states. While attending the General Sessions, once again I was overwhelmed at the number of people in attendance who were all excited to be there.   As each of the speakers spoke I too became energized by the information I was hearing.
By the end of the convention I had a better understanding of the purpose of the NFB.  I assumed all was well and things would be winding down.   However, in attending the banquet I learned even more about the mission of the NFB, and its continued efforts to assure opportunities for blind individuals.  I was impressed by the many blind students who were awarded scholarships and I was pleased to know that the NBF provides opportunities for young people to play an active role in the planning of their futures.
By this time I no longer had a business perspective I began to think about how for so many years I hid the fact that I was legally blind having been diagnosed with Keracornoues some 29 years ago at age 17.  As a student I had no one to advocate for me nor did I have effective advocacy skills.  Throughout high school I sat in front of the every class and intentionally made a friend or two to copy what I was unable to see on the board.
As a young adult I faked my way through job interviews and again if training was involved I sat in the front and intentionally made a friend to copy the notes from.  Being confident that I was intelligent enough to work, I was always able to obtain suitable positions.  However, it was a matter of time that my visual limitations would become apparent and duties would be taken away from me forcing me to resign.  I had the misfortune of other people deciding that I was unable to maintain such positions due to my visual limitations it was assumed that if I could not see, I could not think.
During my 20 plus years of this cycle of defeat I had two sobbing experiences I was terminated from a position at an airport. I didn’t recognize a firearm on the conveyer belt which was placed there by the supervisor stating it was a training exercise in which I failed.  I held a position as a temporary bridge and tunnel officer.  I passed the intensive training and testing and after a few months I was terminated from my position due to my visual impairment.  These two experiences among countless others greatly diminished my self esteem.
As I matured I knew that I was putting a lot of companies at risk and did not want to continue living on the edge and being ashamed of my visual limitations.  In 2003 while working at a day care for the summer I decided to advise Human Resources of my visual limitations and requested that I be excused from attending a field trip at an amusement park.  I explained that I was not comfortable with overseeing the safety of the children.  I was asked to provide a recent eye report and additional medical documentation which I did.  However, during the meeting with Human Resource managers I was advised to have the eye surgery and get a real job.  It was then that I began to seriously consider what I was good at and how can I start my own business.  I thought I would start a business tutoring students.  I had one thing in mind but God had another, which is another story.
Anyway what has attending the National Convention done for me? As I traveled my 14 hour journey home, I began to reflect on my abilities. Remembering working as a supervisor in a sheltered workshop, working in residential homes for adults with disabilities, working with youth for a number of years in various capacities and advocating for students and adults with disabilities in these positions.  I was often teased about my poor vision however, I was greatly appreciated and enjoyed being of help.  In conclusion attending the convention was a memorable experience.  Being in the company of so many professional, knowledgeable, blind and visually impaired individuals with such high esteem definitely inspired me stay focused and expand my business.
I thank God for directing my path and all of you my fellow federationists.  I thank you for the opportunity to speak today.

“Reflections on my First National Convention”

By:  Joseph W. Hobson

Well, it was quite an experience!
First of all, I would like to express my congratulations to the other recipients of the 2009 Robert McDonald Fellowship Gail Jeffrey of Hampton (Peninsula Chapter), and Theresa and daughter Elizabeth Willis of Virginia Beach (Chesapeake Bay Chapter).  It was a distinct privilege to be included among these other Federationists to be named to this high honor by the NFBV.  As a proud and grateful recipient of the Robert McDonald Fellowship, I was presented with a “hands on” chance to learn even more and gain unique experiences in a special environment by exposure to the national convention.
The learning and growth opportunity that the Robert McDonald Fellowship provided is truly unique and valuable to one’s moving ahead with one’s life facing, confronting, and growing through the perplexities of blindness.  I remain grateful to all those who have listened, guided, advised, and “held my hand” in this course.  I am appreciative for the friendships and particularly for the encouragement and mentorship of PCNFB President Tracy Soforenko, PCNFB First Vice President Seville Allen, and the frequent “how are you doing?” telephone calls from Mark Roane.  To name all who have and continue to touch me is not possible in this writing, but please know you are in my sincere gratitude one and all.  Here is my report on attending the 61st NFB convention held in Detroit, Michigan, July 3-8, 2009.   Arriving to attend my first national convention on my birthday, July 3, 2009 was a super present!
The national convention was a positive experience and self renewal.  I had been told that attending my first convention could be overwhelming but what was overwhelming was the quality of the programming, the amount of information, technology, opportunities to learn, and to just take charge to move ahead with one's life.  So, now I have more of a mission and inspiration for the future resulting from my experience in Detroit.
Yes, there was a bit of a crowd and one had to learn quickly how to navigate and maneuver at the convention. There were almost 3,000 attendees at the convention, every state and U.S. territories were represented, as well as ten foreign countries.  The blind community, as we know, is just a cross section of society as a whole.
The convention quickly makes one be careful concerning finances.  The convention registration and banquet are very reasonable.  Then there are those special opportunities, what I will call R, D, N, and F:  the R for raffles, the D for donate to NFB projects and programs, the N for the networking and opportunities to greet, meet and socialize, and the F for fun.   If you know me well, you know that I am an easy mark for a raffle ticket to win something or for a donation so I could not resist registering and throwing in the $5 fee for a chance on a KNFB reader, other really great prizes, and cash awards, too.  No, I did not win anything whatsoever, but had fun trying.  So, why does the voice of Diane McGeorge keep sounding in my head “It is time to draw another door prize!”  The travel and logistics round-trip went well.  I was fortunate to travel together with my chapter president, not only for the pleasure of his company, but also for that added touch of experience to navigate the travel process.
The NFBV has a wonderful Buddy Program wherein an individual is assigned to help mentor and guide a first timer.  Here again, I appreciatively salute those daily mentors in order of daily assistance to me:  Friday, Mary Durbin, Chesapeake Bay Chapter; Saturday, Joy Relton, Greater Springfield Chapter; Sunday, Mark Roane, Fredericksburg Chapter; Monday, Larry Povinelli, Potomac and Greater Springfield Chapters; Tuesday, John Bailey, Fairfax Chapter; and Wednesday, Michael Kasey, Fredericksburg Chapter.  To go through the respective daily schedule and routine with each of these special escorts was most helpful and they introduced me to the mechanics of the national convention.  I enjoyed lunch together with each and that afforded us an opportunity to get to know each other better through casual conversation.
After getting settled into the hotel accommodations, I spent that first afternoon with my buddy mentor Mary Durbin and we explored the hotel geography and I learned the navigation.  The Detroit Marriott is 70 stories high built circular, with five levels of meeting rooms and function space all constructed around two rings per level.  There was an inner ring and the other an outer one, and to complicate things more twelve elevators with six going to floors up to 40 then the remaining six reaching higher floors 40 to 70.  Then there are the several levels of escalators, too very confusing with few landmarks.  I will not even attempt to explain the lower levels of the Food Court and shops, or the rest of the massive Renaissance Center.  I learned the hotel pretty well that first afternoon, and went on to actually assist others myself in the subsequent days which made me feel pretty darn good.
As mentioned, as a first time attendee to the NFB convention there was a mentor assigned to help me learn the ropes each day but basically after that first afternoon the mentorship became having lunch with them and receiving their knowledge and expertise of information.  The emotional support was there if I needed it.  I actually already knew the mentors assigned to me so it was nice to actually have some time to socialize with them and get to know them better.
The first days were numerous classes, presentations, and training programs, as well as the exhibits, which were a mass scene and a bit unmanageable to get around with so many people crowding the respective tables.  I decided to re-visit the exhibits on days when things were a bit calmer and the attendance a bit more civilized.  The sessions are concurrent so one cannot possibly attend everything, and the sessions go into the evenings.  Also, on what was a free evening of activity for me, I managed to get in a great visit with a member of one of the former associations that I was affiliated with for twenty years, and we went to a great Italian restaurant riding around Detroit in his new Corvette with the top down.  To tease the valet when he brought the car to us after dinner, I got in the driver's seat with my white cane and my friend in the passenger side.  You should have seen the expression on the kid's face.  Yes, we changed seats and I did not drive.
At convention you realize you can do anything as a blind person if you have the proper tools, training, and motivation.  It is empowering!  I would be remiss if I did not tell of what a neat experience it was to hear the rocket sounds, voice over and out Houston, the vibrations throughout the ballroom of the space shuttle blast off carrying the Braille coin into space.  I actually felt like I was in the observation silo down at the Cape Canaveral blast off site.  The National Convention banquet was on that final Wednesday night, and that was a real highlight. NFB president Dr. Mauer's speech was outstanding and uplifting.
Then, it was Thursday and time to return home.  I flew back to Washington, DC on Thursday morning, arrived home exhausted and a bit spent so took a few hours to unwind and regain my space, energy, and wits.  I will tell you that I tried to comprehend the complexities of all the technology and information.  I have a new respect for those who have mastered these skills and I realize that I still have and always will have a lot to learn but I was pleased with my mobility and orientation abilities on-site.  It was an emotional boost and confidence that I gained attending the national convention.  Yes, a real renewal.  Yes, a real confidence builder.  Yes, it was a win-win situation emotion, example, education, and empowerment yes, the byproduct of the McDonald Fellowship and the overall NFB family.
So, now I’m home again and have a bonus to the Detroit experience under the belt by attending and participating in my first NFBV state convention November 13-15, 2009, in Williamsburg.  The NFBV 2009 state convention was a home run!  It was my privilege to present to the state convention about my experiences at my first national convention.  These two big events for me have been highlights in 2009!  I appreciate the opportunity to be one of the NFBV 2009 Robert McDonald Fellows.  Regards to ALL!  What a great feeling to be a Federationist !!

Chapter/Division Roll Call

The Student Division
By: Corbb O’Conner, President
          At the 51st Annual Convention of the NFB of Virginia this past weekend, the student division held elections.  Please join me in welcoming a new team of leadership to the Commonwealth of Virginia.  We are all very optimistic that this board will be more productive, focused, and capable to serve the blind students in the Virginia area.
          By the January meeting of the NFB of Virginia Affiliate Board of Directors, I hope to have a draft Constitution ready for a vote.  Our Treasurer and event-idea extraordinaire, C. J. Fish, has proposed a joint event for students and parents, and we hope to have that event become a reality in the next few months.

The 2009-2010 board includes:
President: Corbb O'Connor, senior at George Washington University
Vice President: Brittany Savage, high school senior at the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind
Secretary: Mike Fish, a graduate student at George Mason University and teacher of blind students for Arlington County Public Schools
Treasurer: C. J. Fish, a graduate student at Marymount University
Board Member: Chelsea Cook, a high school student in Virginia and board member for the NFB Writers Division

We have a diverse group in terms of age, location, and specialty, and for that I as President am grateful.  Thanks to all who ran for office, and we hope everyone will stay involved.
           If you are a blind student in Virginia receiving this message -- or you know a blind student in Virginia -- we would love to have you join us.  Please send me an e-mail corbbo at gmail.com or give me a call (202) 684-6130.

Fairfax Chapter
By:  John Bailey
The Fairfax Chapter continues its growth and outreach into the community during the fall as we did during the spring. We are still meeting at the Red Lobster in Fairfax City because of its larger meeting room. We continue to average 25 attendees each month and we continue to bring in new visitors.
Along with our regular meetings every third Thursday of the month, we do presentations to local groups in our community.  Most recently, several members of the chapter have been doing presentations to Girl Scout troops in the area. As part of our program, we give demonstrations on what Braille is and how it can be used.  We demonstrate how a long-white-cane can be used as a very effective tool for travel by the blind.  We also show attendees how a dog guide can greatly assist mobility.
Last summer, we were asked to talk before several Lions Club events.  For example, I was asked to speak before the Lions Club state convention about the Federation and how we are actively changing people’s minds on what the blind can do.  Rodney Neely and I were also asked to speak before the Fairfax Hosts Lions Club about Braille literacy.  Rodney talked about how young people can learn Braille quickly if they are taught early.  I talked about how important Braille is to those who wish to be employed.  We also handed around a Louis Braille Coin for the Lions to examine.
In October, we handed out NFB Braille Alphabet cards during the 2009 City of Fairfax Fall Festival.  Handing out the cards is a great way to promote the NFB while also educating the public about Braille literacy.
In November, we had our chapter elections.  John Bailey was elected President.  Cathy Schroeder was elected Vice-President.  Carrie Schroeder was elected Treasurer.  The chapter board members elected were Connie Mowdy and Tom Kinney.

Potomac Chapter
By:  Tracy Soforenko
The Potomac Chapter has continued its active agenda.  This report will cover our activities, events, and initiatives since publication of the last issue of the Vigilant released in August 2009.  The PCNFB moved proactively into what has been a very busy fall and year-end season. This report is divided into monthly sections.
August:  The PCNFB participated in and was well represented at the quarterly meeting of the NFBV Board of Directors meeting, held in Richmond, on August 15th.  The meeting was chaired by Seville Allen, NFBV First Vice President who also serves as PCNFB First Vice President.  Later in August, the Potomac Chapter was a participating exhibitor at the Arlington County Fair.  The event is the largest urban fair in the nation.
September:  We moved into the fall season utilizing our post-Labor Day holiday meeting to plan and organize for the fall.  Particularly, we initiated a chapter membership update, prepared for our participation in the Blind Awareness Month activities for October, identified public outreach initiatives, continued to promote the Braille coin campaign for Braille literacy, privileged with a visit by NFBV President Dr. Fred Schroeder, reviewed plans and programming for the 2009 NFBV Youth Slam to be held in October, began organization of our chapter plans to maximize attendance and participation at the NFBV State Convention to be held in November, and finalized other priorities for our remaining fourth quarter agenda.
October: The PCNFB fall fund raising event was our very successful October Fest, held Sunday, October 18th, at the Arlington home of Sandy and John Halverson.  The fun-filled event, attended by thirty plus members and guests, featured entertainment by our chapter member Eric Schwarz on accordion and piano, and a lot of good German food and brew, and good fellowship.  Next on the schedule was the participation by several of our PCNFB members and their involvement in the programming and leadership of the NFBV 2009 Youth Slam, held October 23-25 at the NFB National Headquarters in Baltimore, MD.  Then, on Sunday morning, October 25, the PCNFB participated in the U.S. Marine Corps Marathon to provide assistance and to be involved as our main focus initiative in Meet The Blind Month activities to share our positive philosophy on blindness through public outreach activities.  The Potomac Chapter was the catalyst to organize a group of NFB member volunteers with the majority PCNFB members, but also several from other regional chapters in northern Virginia and DC, to assist passing out orange slices to runners at a refreshment station on the marathon route.  It is appropriate and ironic to note that the PCNFB volunteers were positioned at the refreshment station at the corner of Virginia Avenue on the marathon route.  A special thanks to Nancy Yeager and Wayne Braxton for the organization of this effort. Refer to the related article in this issue of the Vigilant regarding additional details about the Marathon event.
November:  At our November meeting, we reviewed the program, schedule and logistics for the November 13-15, 2009 51st NFBV State Convention, and launched our “Save Your Change” donation initiative in behalf of the food bank program conducted by and at the Saint George’s Episcopal Church, Arlington, VA, where we host our monthly chapter meetings.  We invite our members to simply save their change from breaking a dollar bill and then we collect it from everyone and donate the total amount to the church food bank, and actually we were able to present a generous amount to help in this very worthwhile endeavor.  The PCNFB was well represented at the state convention hosted in Williamsburg with 16 attendees. We also really proved our grit when the nasty weather hit and the trains were cancelled and we had to pull together at the last minute to re-arrange and organize transportation roundtrip for attendees.  Thanks to John Halverson and Corbb O’Connor for their efforts and they are now known as the transportation honchos! The PCNFB was privileged to achieve several notable honors at the state convention.  First, one of the three 2009 McDonald Fellows Joe Hobson is our chapter member.  Secondly, chapter treasurer and member Corbb O’Connor and member Michael Fish were the recipients of the James S. Nelson NFBV Scholarship.  Corbb O’Connor, who is also now designated as a TenBroke Fellow, is the incumbent re-elected president of the NFBV Student Division and Michael Fish is the newly elected secretary of the Student’s Division.  We are extremely proud that the prestigious 2009 NFBV President’s Award was presented to our very own PCNFB Recording Secretary Sandy Halverson.

December:  We rounded out our year with a grand social occasion when we gathered and celebrated at our gala holiday event at the trendy Front Page Restaurant in Arlington hosted on Thursday, December 10.  The event was well attended by chapter members and family, other regional NFBV chapter members, and NFBV state leadership.  We joined together socially to share the joys and gifts of the season and was a fitting way to conclude our successful year.  As the year has come to a close, we at the PCNFB extend our appreciation to the members of our Social Committee, Debby Everdale, Mary Ann Kessler, and Joanne Rosfeld for their tireless efforts to ensure the planning and success of our social calendar throughout the year.  We also extend our appreciation to all of our members, leadership and to our fellow Federationists for their assistance, contributions and dedication to the state affiliate and to our national organization.
So, now we are looking forward to 2010.  We will start right off with a super fund raising event, the annual PCNFB Wine Tasting Event to be hosted on Saturday, January 23.  The PCNFB is pleased to invite you to mark your calendar now for the 52nd Annual NFBV State Convention on November 12-14 2010.  PCNFB will be host chapter.  The convention will be hosted at the Marriott Fairview Park Hotel, 3111 Fair View Park Drive, Falls Church, VA 22042. www.marriott.com/wasfp.

Eastern Shore Chapter
By:  Abra Jacobs
Risk, Opportunity, Attitude and Responsibility was echoed by Mr. Ron Brown's inspiring speech during the NFB State Convention held at the Williamsburg Hospitality House on November 14, 2009.  The Eastern Shore NFB chapter members still feel the excitement sparked by the message.  Mr. Brown stated that the ROAR inside of him is based on his flight and journey as an eagle toward becoming a leader within the NFB.
          The Eastern Shore Chapter has made some changes in our hopes of strengthening our membership.  Beginning in January 2010 our chapter will meet every other month.  We are looking forward to Mr. John Bailey and Mr. Larry Povinelli's visit on December 5th at our chapter meeting.  They will provide technical assistance in the area of membership building and the availability of the NFB Newsline.  As a chapter, we will re-establish our goals and our main focus for 2010 is building membership.  We will also work with our local legislators and educators to eliminate barriers that prohibit our blind youth from achieving their greatest potential and academic excellence in school.  Remember we must take Risks that will create Opportunities and dispel negative Attitudes because it’s our Responsibility (ROAR)!

Blue Ridge Chapter
By:  Gwen Beavers
Happy Holidays to everyone from the beautiful Blue Ridge.  We have been involved in several really great activities this fall.  At the end of August we had another food auction, we usually have these twice a year, to raise money for our transportation fund.  This is always fun.  We auction off all kinds of goodies and we make between $15.00 and $20.00 which isn't much, but everyone laughs and has a good time and often we all get real bargains.  Sometimes after a food auction, we often prepare a pot luck supper.
          At our September meeting we had one of our favorite activities, an everyone’s birthday party.  During these celebrations we encourage individuals to share their talents though singing a song, reciting a poem, etc and we are often surprised by the talents that are shared.  Another highlight was that Kathy Owen, our president, gave a $10.00 door prize for the name that was drawn among all who were present.  Tim Lamb, one of our newer members was the winner. Gwen Beavers issued a challenge to all members to memorize the Federation pledge for a $10.00 prize.  Jack Parks, our second vice-president, and Kathy Owen, our president, won the prize and split the money. We also purchased a Proof Braille coin and shared it with members of our chapter.  Chapter funds purchased this coin and we are keeping it as a part of history.
          In October we were privileged to attend the first chapter meeting of Virginia’s newest chapter in Staunton.  We hope to attend occasional chapter meetings with these new federationists.  At our November meeting we had a guest speaker Jane Foy, a co-host at WINA here in Charlottesville.  Jane suggested that we might partner with some other non-profit organizations to help get the word out that we are here to help blind folks in our community.  In November we also made the final plans for our annual Christmas party which will be a luncheon at Jefferson Park Baptist Church on Saturday, December 12th.  Instead of giving gifts to one another, we will be collecting money for our local food bank.  Once again we want to wish each of you a most blessed holiday season.

Fredericksburg Area Chapter
By:  Michael Kasey
The Fredericksburg Chapter is pleased to announce that we sold over 100 Louis Braille Commemorative Coins!  We continue to visit Lions Clubs to offer more coins.  As reported at the board meeting in Williamsburg we enjoyed a chapter picnic this summer, held a meet and greet session at the local shopping mall, and did lots of planning for upcoming events.  Mark, Michael, Maggie, Roger, Dottie, Laurie, Ray, Hannah, Katelyn, Tom, Vicki, Greg, Susan, John, Holly, Mark, Jackie, Sandy and Angie all associated with our chapter attended the 51st NFBV Convention.  We will have our Christmas dinner meeting in December at which we will elect officers and board members for 2010.  Several members have enrolled in the Braille Readers are Leaders program for fun and practice.  As always we will have a fundraising walk-a-thon in the spring.  Please plan to join us on Saturday, April 17, 2010.  Hope to see you all at the Richmond and Washington Seminars.
Local Chapter Meetings

BLUE RIDGE CHAPTER:  Charlottesville Area - Meets the third Saturday of each month.  For information contact President, Kathy Owen at 434-293-3556 or at kcowen at ntelos.net.

CHESAPEAKE BAY CHAPTER:  Meets the fourth Saturday of the month at 11AM until 1PM.  We meet at the Virginian Steak House, 620 First Colonial Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23454.  For more info, contact chapter President, Mary Durbin at 757-431-1205 (home), 757-472-2495 (cell) or email: mrdurbin at cox.net.  Please visit the chapter's website at www.cbcbvi.org.

EASTERN SHORE CHAPTER:  The chapter meets on the first Saturday of every other month at AP’s Freedom Apartments 11366 Occohannock Neck Rd. Exmore, VA 23350 from 11 am to 1 pm.  For additional information contact President Rick Holley by email at holleymanor at verizon.net or call: 757-824-3233 or 757-894-3685.

FAIRFAX CHAPTER:  The chapter meets the third Thursday of the month.  We will be meeting at the Fairfax Red Lobster on Jan. 21, Feb. 18, and Mar. 18. We will be gathering in their banquet room.  The Red Lobster is located at 10325 Fairfax Boulevard.  They can be reached at (703) 691-1011.  Their website is www.redlobster.com.  Those who want dinner should arrive at 6:30 p.m.  The formal meeting will begin promptly at 7:00 p.m. and run till 9:00 p.m.  If you need transportation assistance from the Vienna Metro Station, please contact Chapter Vice-President Cathy Schroeder at (703) 319-9226.  We want to make sure anyone who wants to attend a meeting is able to do so.  For more information, please call John Bailey at 703.994.2040 or via e-mail at john_bailey17 at hotmail.com.
FREDERICKSBURG AREA CHAPTER:   Meets the second Thursday of each month at the disability Resource Center, 409 Progress Street, Fredericksburg, from 7 PM until 9 PM.  For information please contact President Michael Kasey, at michaelgkasey at verizon.net or telephone 540-760-3885.

PENINSULA CHAPTER:  Meet on the second Saturday of each month at Angelus Restaurant located at 755 J. Clyde Morris Boulevard in Newport News.  The time is from one pm to three pm. If you are having lunch please arrive by twelve thirty. We are a chapter striving for excellence!  If you have any questions please contact President Andre Tynes at 757-594-6111 or via email at atynes1 at verizon.net or Vice President Hardy Alexander at 757-303-9806.

POTOMAC CHAPTER:   Meets the second Thursday of the month at 7:30 PM at Saint George's Episcopal Church, 915 North Oakland Street, Arlington, VA.  For information contact President Tracy Soforenko at PotomacNFB at verizon.net or call 703-635-2085.  The chapter serves Arlington County, the eastern portion of Fairfax County and the Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church.

GREATER PRINCE WILLIAMS CHAPTER:  Meets every fourth Thursday of the month at 6 p.m. at the PRTC (Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Center) on Potomac Mills Road, in Woodbridge.  For Information contact Jody M. Silverberg at 703-730-1716 or email at Mozbud at aol.com.
RICHMOND CHAPTER:  Meets the 4th Monday of the month at the Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind located at 401 Azalea Avenue Richmond at 7:30 p.m.  For information call President, Leon Robinson  by email at jumpsharp60 at verizon.net or call 804-241-5010.

GREATER SPRINGFIELD CHAPTER:  Meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at the Rose Hill Elementary School located at 6301 Rose Hill Drive. Served by Fairfax Connecter #109.  For more information call President Joy Relton at 703-971-0745 or email at jrelton at verizon.net .
GREATER STAUNTON CHAPTER:  Meets the first Saturday of the Month in the community room at the GYPSY HILL HOUSE APARTMENTS located at
500 C. Street.  For further information contact President, Dawn Jenkins   at (540)-885-5649; or pdjj2716 at verizon.net.
TIDEWATER CHAPTER:  For information contact President, Stewart Prost at 757-622-2797or sdprost at verizon.net.
GREATER WARRENTON:  Chapter Meetings held every 4th Wednesday of the month at 1:00 pm unless otherwise indicated.  We BABBLE at every meeting!  Bring a Brown Bag Lunch Event.  Dessert and Beverage Provided.  Location: The Oaks Apartments, in the Committee Room, 770 Fletcher Lane, Warrenton, VA 20186.  Contact: Amy Harwood for info @ 540-341-7084 or 703-317-7386 or email her atNFB.Warrenton at gmail.com
GREATER WILLIAMSBURG CHAPTER - Meets the third Saturday of each month at 1:00 -3:00 pm at the James City County Recreational Center, 5301 Longhill Rd, Williamsburg, VA. Please contact Chapter President Corlis Jones at 757-565-1185 orcmjones153 at verizon.net or visit their Web Page athttp://sites.google.com/site/greaterwilliamsburgchapternfb/
WINCHESTER CHAPTER - Meets the third Wednesday of every month at 2PM at Winchester Medical Center on Amherst Street, in the main conference room on the main level of the WMC right next to Subway.  For information contact President Shirley Guess at (540)-662-5011.

Vigilant Report

The tape version of the Vigilant will no longer be available. Instead, the full text of the Vigilant can be heard on NFB-NEWSLINE®.  One reason for this change is that the time and expense required to create each audio issue of the Vigilant are very costly.  A second reason is that many services that produce audio tapes are switching over to alternative formats because technology is changing and that change does not include the continued use of audio tapes.  There are much better alternatives.

NFB-NEWSLINE® is a free service available to all Virginians.  It is as close as your telephone and enables you to read not only the NFBV Vigilant, but over 200 other publications from around the country.

If you are not already a NFB-NEWSLINE® subscriber, signing up is easy.  If you have Internet access, go to www.nfb.org, and follow the directions.  You may also call toll free:  1-866-504-7300.  Having the Vigilant available on NFB-NEWSLINE® means that you will be able to read each issue as soon as it is available.  You will not have any more long delays while the tapes are being manufactured.  You will also get the great features that come with being an NFB-NEWSLINE®  subscriber.  For example, being able to select the reading voice you want, having the ability to read the articles as fast or as slowly as you want, the ability to read word by word or character by character; and best of all, NFB-NEWSLINE®  IS FREE.

Don’t hesitate to sign up for NFB-NEWSLINE® now and begin receiving the Vigilant along with hundreds of other state and national publications!

How You Can Assist Us

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to improve the lives of the blind through education and legislation.  The NFBV is the blind speaking for the blind.  Assistance from those who share our mission is always welcome.  If you can offer time, material resources, or financial help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Another way to support the efforts of the NFB of Virginia is by means of bequests.  Simply include the following information in your will: "I give, devise, and bequeath unto National Federation of the Blind of Virginia, 702 Prince Edward St. Apt. 5, Fredericksburg, VA 23401, a Virginia nonprofit corporation, the sum of $___ (or "___ percent of my net estate" or "The following stocks and bonds:___") to be used for its worthy purposes on behalf of blind persons."

To learn of other ways in which you can support the organization, call Dr. Fred Schroeder, President, NFBV, at (703) 319-9226.

State Officers
President:  Dr. Fred Schroeder
First Vice President:  Seville Allen
Second Vice President:  Althea P. Pitman
State. Treasurer:  Mark Roane
Recording Secretary:  Stewart Prost
Corresponding Secretary:
Gwen BeaversVigilant Staff
Chief Editor/Print Production:  Althea P. Pittman
Staff:  Kathryn R. Hall
Braille Production:  Alan and
Billie Ruth Schlank

NFBV Calendar of Events:
·   Monday & Tuesday, January 18&19, 2010 Richmond Seminar and Visit to General Assembly
·   Saturday, January 23, 2010 Potomac Chapter Wine Tasting
·   Saturday, April 17, 2010 Fredericksburg Chapter Walk-a-thon
·   Saturday-Thursday July 3-8, 2010 NFB Convention, Hilton Anatole Dallas, TX
·   Friday-Sunday, November 12-14, 2010 NFBV Convention, Fairview Park Marriott Falls Church, VA