[Nfbv-announce] NABS Needs Your Help: Pennies for Pages Starts November 1

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon Nov 1 15:18:58 UTC 2010

From: "Sean Whalen" <smwhalenpsp at gmail.com

Dear NFB Affiliate Presidents,

I am writing to announce and solicit your participation in an
exciting
fundraising effort that the National Association of Blind
Students is
currently undertaking.  The fundraiser is our second annual
Pennies for
Pages, and is being run in conjunction with the NFB's Braille
Readers are
Leaders contest.  We believe that this fundraiser has a lot of
potential.
However, in order to realize this potential, we need help from
all of you!

The idea is this.  Students, or anybody else who is interested in
helping to
raise money for Braille literacy and our national and state
student
divisions, can sign up to participate in the Braille Readers are
Leaders
K-12 or adult program and then solicit donations from friends,
family, or
anybody really, for Braille pages read throughout the duration of
the
contest, which runs from November 1 through January 4.  Of
course, donations
of fixed sums are also gratefully accepted.

Anything you can do to help us publicize, and recruit
participants for, this
effort would be greatly appreciated, and there are plenty of ways
in which
you can be helpful! You could circulate the attached announcement
to your
state announcements and chapter presidents lists.  You could help
us to
identify blind students, or others, in your state who might wish
to read and
solicit pledges or sponsor a reader.  Last year, some affiliates
and chapters
even recruited, and pledged money to support, readers in their
states.

You will find attached a document detailing how to sign up for
and take part
in Pennies for Pages as either a reader or sponsor.  Please feel
free to
distribute it to anybody who might be interested, and, should you
have any
questions, suggestions, or ideas for how we might work
collaboratively to
ensure the success of this fundraising effort, please contact
Sean Whalen at
either 608 332-4147 or smwhalenpsp at gmail.com.

Any money we raise through Pennies for Pages will be shared, in
equal
portions, between NABS, the National Association to Promote the
Use of
Braille, and the state student divisions (or affiliates) in which
the
readers reside.

NABS looks forward to working together with all of you to raise
money for,
and promote awareness of, Braille literacy!

Sincerely,

Sean Whalen

2nd Vice President, National Association of Blind Students

608 332-4147

smwhalenpsp at gmail.com