[Nfbv-announce] Fairfax Hosts Lions support NFBV BELL program with donation

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 19:56:08 UTC 2011

LOGO

Contact Information							FOR
IMMEDIATE RELEASE

John C. Bailey, President
 Fairfax Chapter National Federation of the Blind of Virginia
4219 Linden Street
Fairfax, VA 22030
John_Bailey17 at hotmail.com
(703) 994.2040

Local Lions Club Brings the Gift of Literacy to Blind Youth

The 2011 Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning  (BELL) program
scheduled for May will be able to host more students this year thanks to a
generous donation to the National Federation of the Blind of Virginia  from
the Fairfax Host Lions.

The Fairfax Hosts Lions Club donated two thousand dollars to support the
BELL initiative that will help students learn new skills to do well in
school and to eventually be employed.

The BELL program teaches blind and low vision children below the age of
fourteen how to use Braille effectively for reading and writing. "The goal
of the BELL program is to introduce children who cannot read regular print
to how useful Braille can be in hopes that they continue using it throughout
their lives." Said Dr. Fredrick K. Schroeder, President, of the National
Federation of the Blind of Viginia.

"When they become adults, the one factor that enables them to be employable
is their Braille skills. Odds are, if you don't know Braille, you don't have
a job.", Dr. Schroeder added.

This is the second summer where the NFBV will be organizing a BELL program
in our area. In a pilot program in August of 2010 held in Arlington, VA,
seven blind and low vision students participated in a two-week program of
exploration of how many uses there are for Braille in school and at home.

Theresa Willis from Virginia Beach, a blind parent of a blind student who
attended the 2010 pilot program, said, "I have retinitis pigmentosa (RP) and
have never read a book in my life.  I would try to read a chapter but would
give up because it was too hard with eyestrain and headaches.  I don't want
that for my child and this program has given her what our school district
could not.  My daughter also has RP and if she learns Braille, she will not
have to come home from school crying because her eyes are tired and she has
headaches.  I want her to be able to read the books that I have never been
able to."

Braille is a system of raised dots that blind people can use to read and
write. It was invented by Louis Braille nearly 200 years ago and is one of
the most effective methods for bringing literacy to those who cannot read
print.

The Fairfax Hosts Lions Club was established in 1951 and serves the City of
Fairfax by creating and fostering a spirit of understanding among all people
for humanitarian needs by providing voluntary services through community
involvement and international cooperation. The club is also a member of
Lions Club International which has over 1.35 million members in over 206
countries and geographic regions.

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia consists of fifteen
chapters throughout the state and serves its members and all visually
impaired citizens by promoting fellowship as well as supporting programs
that increase the educational and economic opportunities of the blind.

###