[Nfbv-announce] Summer Youth Retreat

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Tue Jun 7 18:07:38 UTC 2011

From: Alan A. Chase [mailto:achase11 at nc.rr.com]

Good Afternoon,

I am Chairperson of the Education Committee for The Governor Morehead School
Alumni Association.  We are hosting a summer youth camp Wednesday, August 3 to
Saturday, August 6th for youth with visual impairments on the campus of Governor Morehead School in Raleigh, NC.  We are pleased to be able to partner with the North Carolina Association of Blind Students to coordinate activities with them during this event too.  We invite youth with visual impairments from any state to join us for this event.

Who: Any youth (16+) with a visual impairment
What: A four day retreat for youth with visual impairments to explore community resources.
When: Wednesday, August 3rd to Saturday, August 6th
Where: The Governor Morehead School for the Blind in Raleigh, NC
Why: To provide an opportunity for youth with visual impairments to experience attending college, starting their own business, and exploring their surroundings using public transit and audio description.
How: There is no cost for housing or food. Transportation, liens, and personal hygiene items are the applicant�s responsibility. At this time, we are only able to accept applications for approximately thirty youth.

Activities Include:

1. Trip to NC State University
2. Learn more about access to leisure reading materials
3. Attend an audio described museum tour
4. Experience an audio described movie
5. A talent show
6. Explore public transportation
7. Learn to play beep ball
8. Learn how to start your own business (entrepreneurship class offered by a certified instructor)
9. Design your own board game
10. Learn your legal rights
11. Socialization with other youth

Please contact Alan Chase at 910-612-2220 or achase11 at nc.rr.com for more information.

The deadline to apply is July 1, 2011.

The application is attached.  Please distribute among your networks and to any
youth who may be interested.

Thanks.

--
Alan A. Chase, B.S.
Cross Categorical Resource Teacher, Washington GT Magnet Elementary