[Nfbv-announce] Message from Commissioner Hopkins Regarding HB1291 and SB 678

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Mon Mar 12 13:48:36 UTC 2012

>From Ray Hopkins, Commissioner of the Virginia Department for the Blind and
Vision Impaired:

Fred,

I wanted to extend my thanks to the members of the NFB of Virginia for their
efforts to preserve specialized services for the blind in the Commonwealth.
I am personally appreciative of your leadership and the diligent work of
Mark Roane in assuring that Virginia's decision makers were made aware of
the value of the services and the programs of DBVI to blind consumers.

The employees of DBVI are dedicated to their professions and would do their
best to provide meaningful services in any agency configuration, but they
are generally invested in this Department. All of DBVI consider the advocacy
of the NFBV as an endorsement of the services provided by our Department. It
is our collective goal to live up to the expressions of support offered by
your membership.

As you know, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended promotes the concept
of vocational rehabilitation as a partnership between the VR program and its
customers. Hopefully, the events of recent weeks will solidify this
relationship in Virginia and lead to even stronger and more responsive
services. We are resolved to focusing our energies towards this end.

Please take this as a note of gratitude for the civic engagement of those
who know firsthand what it means to live as individuals with significant
vision impairments. They are the true experts.

Thank you,

Raymond E. Hopkins, Commissioner
Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired
397 Azalea Avenue
Richmond, VA 23227
Phone: (804) 371-3145
Toll Free (in Virginia): (800) 622-2155