[Nfbv-announce] Fix WIA Wednesday - Everyone's Help Is Needed!

Fredric Schroeder fschroeder at sks.com
Wed Jan 15 09:53:20 UTC 2014

Friends,

We need everyone to help.  Please take a minute to call our members of the
Senate and forward this email to your friends and family and ask them to
help as well.

Subject: One Simple Email - Fix WIA Wednesday

Fellow Federationists:

                We know it only takes two minutes, and I want to make it
even easier for everyone by providing the phone numbers you need to call our
Senators' offices.  I have also included, in this order, a sample voicemail
message, background information, and a sample email message.

If you're too nervous to talk to a human, you can still send emails and call
outside business hours to leave a voicemail.  We need the message heard!  Do
not be afraid to be a nag!  We want them to hear the issue so many times
that they can explain it in their sleep.

Phone Numbers

Senator Mark Warner: (202) 224-2023

Senator Tim Kaine: (202) 224-4024

Sample Voicemail Message:

#####
Hi! My name is Fred Schroeder, and I am a constituent of Senator Kaine.  I
am calling to express my objection to language in S. 1356, the Workforce
Investment Act.  Please ask the Senator to offer an amendment that will
strike Section 511 of Title V., which endorses segregated subminimum wage
training and employment, and to remove the language that diminishes the
quality of rehabilitation services by transferring the Rehabilitation
Services Administration from the Department of Education to the Department
of Labor. Thank you!
#####

Background Information:

Over the summer the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) S. 1356 was passed by the
Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee.  We have been told
that this bill may be coming to the Senate floor for a vote soon, and it is
being pre-conferenced with members of the U.S. House of Representatives.
There are aspects of this bill that we need the Senate to fix before it
becomes law.

We are designating this Wednesday, January 15, 2014 as #FixWIA Wednesday.
We are respectfully requesting that you call, email, fax, tweet, or Facebook
your Members of Congress expressing your feelings about WIA (S. 1356).
Please use the hash tag #FixWIA with all of your social media messaging.

As the saying goes: "nothing about us, without us" -if we do not act now,
the discriminatory language in Section 511 of Title V., and the misguided
relocation of the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) will become
the law of the land.  Let your voices be heard. Contact your Members of
Congress.

Read the Fix WIA blog post at:  <https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/fix-wia>
https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/fix-wia to get more information about the
issue, and get ready to #FixWIA on this Wednesday, January 15, 2014.
Additional information will be sent soon.

Sample Email Message:

#######

Dear Senator Warner:

I am writing to voice my concerns about S. 1356, the reauthorization of the
Workforce Investment Act (WIA).  Although I know the reauthorization of WIA
is overdue, I just cannot support the current bill as it is written.

During the 1990s, the disability community fought really hard for language
that would *not *allow a vocational rehabilitation case to be closed by a
placement in a sheltered workshop. The current bill language of Section 511,
a controversial section among the disability community, will allow
vocational rehabilitation counselors to successfully close cases by placing
their clients in subminimum-wage sheltered workshops.  Subminimum-wage
sheltered work does not come close to adequately training people with
disabilities for mainstream competitive employment.  In fact, research shows
that people with disabilities have to *unlearn *the habits taught in
sheltered workshops in order to get a mainstream job.  Ninety-five percent
of people with disabilities who enter sheltered workshops never obtain the
employment they are being "trained" for.  In other words, once a person with
disability is placed in a sheltered workshop, their full potential is almost
never reached.  They must remain on public assistance for the rest of their
lives.

I am also concerned with the bill language moving the Rehabilitation
Services Administration (RSA) from the Department of Education to the
Department of Labor. There is no evidence that shows this move will improve
the efficiency and outcomes of the RSA.  It is important to keep in mind
that everyone needs an education before he/she obtains a job.  For many,
this education comes in the form of college and/or graduate school.  For
people with severe disabilities, this might mean having access to quality
rehabilitation services to develop their unique skills and talents.  This is
especially true for youth transitioning from school to work.  Right now, RSA
is in the same office with the Office of Special Education Programs.  That
linkage is essential to  make sure youth do not fall through the cracks and
end up in sheltered work being paid a subminimum wage. This process is an
educational process-RSA should stay in the Department of Education.

Senator Warner, I need your help.  Please consider offering an amendment
that will strike Section 511 of Title V of WIA, and remove the language that
transfers RSA from Education to Labor.  The blind of Virginia desperately
need your help.

Thank you.  I look forward to hearing from you soon.  If you have any
questions or concerns, feel free to reach me at fschroeder at nfb.org.

Sincerely,

Fred Schroeder