[Nfbv-announce] Get ready for 2015 Spirit at NFB of Virginia Convention

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Wed Aug 19 20:25:44 UTC 2015

Fellow Federationists,

We are convinced that the 2015 NFB of Virginia Convention will be our best
ever. We are working hard on the plans and we want to provide a preview of
the plans so you can arrange to be there.

To make the convention even better, we have changed the structure of
convention making both Friday & Saturday programming even stronger. While
you are welcome to show up for just a portion of convention, you should
seriously consider asking for Friday off so you can attend the Friday
programming.

Please note: The below plans are just being developed so they are subject to
change.

Highlights:

I.        General Session officially starts Friday Morning - After a brief
Board meeting, we will start the convention officially at 10:00 a.m. There
will be exciting presenters on Friday morning

II.      Friday Seminars - 3 Seminars are planned on Friday afternoon

Technology Seminar - Bob Hart and Chris O'Meally are planning a great
seminar. Should you upgrade to Windows 10, what are the latest advances in
assistive tech, and how will transportation technology change your next trip
in your neighborhood or around the world

Flexible Transportation: Getting You Where You Want to Go- Brian Miller and
Rodney Neely are planning an exciting seminar including understanding
transit options, getting travel training to take advantage of these options,
and a discussion on Transportation Tech (run jointly with the Tech Seminar)

Living the Life You Want - Low Vision Techniques, Technology, & Training-
John Bailey is planning an exciting seminar.

III.    Exhibitors - We will have a great set of exhibitors sharing products
and services you will find interesting and valuable. Robert Parsons will be
organizing exhibits.

IV.    Halloween Party - On Friday evening, we are planning Halloween themed
Parties for students and adults. More details to follow.

V.      Saturday break Out session - On Saturday afternoon, in place of
General Session we are planning smaller breakout groups for our core
constituencies:

a.       Career / Employment Track for Working age adults - Whether you are
seeking a job, growing your career, or keeping  up with  the evolving
employment landscape, our Career Track will provide great ideas, networking
and tools you can use today and into the future. (This track will be led by
melody Roane.

B.  Student Track - We are planning an exciting student track including a
networking reception on Friday, a travel activity outside of the hotel, and
interactive programming that will challenge how students see their role in
their lives and the movement. VABS President Sarah Patnaude and NFBV Youth
coordinator Brittany Savage will be organizing student track.

C. Senior Track- Nancy Yeager and a committee of seniors are planning an
exciting program for seniors based on ideas from across the country. More
details to follow...

D. Parent Track - the Virginia Association of Parents of Blind Children is
planning a number of programs including discussions on advocacy
/self-advocacy and some hands on activities.

VI.    On Saturday night, John fritz, our National representative and
president of the NFB of Wisconsin will provide an exciting banquet address
you will not want to miss.

VII.  As always, there will be phenomenal presentations during General
Session on Saturday and Sunday mornings. More details to follow.

As you will observe, we are planning a great event. However, to make it
truly outstanding, we need you to plan to attend. Convention Registration
will soon be available at www.nfbv.org <http://www.nfbv.org>

You can make your hotel reservations now at our NFB of Virginia rate.

Details:

October 30, 2015 - November 1, 2015
Westin Tysons Corner
7801 Leesburg Pike
<http://maps.google.com/maps?z=14&daddr=7801+Leesburg+Pike++Falls+Church+VA+
22043+>
(703) 893-1340

Come join us at our annual state convention being held in Northern Virginia.

Special room rate of $79 + tax per night from October 29 - October 31, 2015.
The cut-off date to take advantage of this special room rate is Monday,
October 16, 2015 at 5:00 P.M. An early departure fee of $75.00 will apply if
a Customer attendee checks out prior to the confirmed checkout date. All
guestroom rates are subject to the current area tax rates; 12%.

Attendees can make reservations by using the following link:

Link Here for Online Reservations
<https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/res?id=1502056989&key=1163B65
8>

or by calling Westin's Central Reservation Office, at (888) 627-8970 on an
individual basis, giving the name of the group "NFBV State Convention 2015"
or the code NSJ29A.

Attendees will also enjoy these benefits:

*         Waived parking fee for all attendees

*         Waived fee for internet access in the guestrooms

*         15% discount for convention attendees in Hotel Outlets (excludes
alcohol)

*         *The 15% discount applies to the Restaurant, the Lounge, Starbucks
and SushiNami outlet. It does not apply to the gift shop or alcohol - only
food.

Bring friends and family.  See you there!

Michael Kasey

President

NFB of Virginia

blindness is not what holds you back.