[Nfbv-announce] Request of current or former college students

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Wed Dec 30 15:49:25 UTC 2015

Salutations and Greetings Federation Family

As Washington Seminar approaches, the NFB, and more specifically the
National Association of Blind Students, are gearing to make our presence
felt in support of AIMHEA. As the blind community are probably well aware
of, accessible materials in an instructional setting can make or break the
educational advancement of the demographic that needs them. Screen reading
software adaptive textbooks, course materials, and electronic portals are
just a few of the different materials that can make the difference between a
blind student's excellence in a course and their mediocre performance or
failure. In order to continually make strides to the mandating of accessible
instructional materials in post-secondary institutions, I am formally
requesting that any former or current student (it does not matter when or
where you attended) write a short anecdote just explaining your name, city
and state you reside in, and a time in the status quo or past that a lack of
accessible instructional materials caused a poor grade or performance in the
course. Likewise, if you cannot recall a time when this has happened, please
feel free to write an affirmation of when you did use the accessible
materials in an educational setting and explain how it ascertained excellent
performance in the class. I would hope that I can receive these short
letters or accounts before January 15th in order to provide the national
representative of students with Virginia's accounts on time (we are one of
the only states that still have not fulfilled the request), but if you can
send me this letter sooner I would be overjoyed. Please forward all letters
to Robert Parsons at rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
<mailto:rob.parso3389 at gmail.com> . I look forward to receiving these
accounts and wish all of you a blessed new year.

All The Best

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

Vice President, Richmond Chapter

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia (NFBV)

J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College '17

Alpha Delta Mu National Music and Social Work Fraternity

Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society '15

www.nfbv.org <http://www.nfbv.org>

Phone: 804 200 3275

"Persist Until Success Happens." -Thomas Bailey

blindness is not what holds you back.