[Nfbv-announce] Fwd: looking for anyone impacted by Barbri Bar Review's inaccessibility

Christopher Vinson chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:50:40 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

The Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights where I work as a staff
attorney for the Disability Rights Project filed a class action lawsuit in
the Northern District of Texas against Barbri, Inc., the largest bar
preparation company in the country, on behalf of a putative class of blind
students. The lawsuit, Stanley, et al. v. Barbri, Inc., Civil Action No.
16-cv-01113-BK, concerns accessibility of the Barbri bar review website and
mobile application, which are not fully accessible to talking screen
readers, making it difficult to get access to all the study tools and
course materials. Additionally, the materials provided in alternate formats
are often not delivered on time and are not complete.

Briefing is complete on Barbri’s motion to dismiss, and we are entering the
discovery phase. Our motion for class certification will be due in
February. In advance of that motion, we would like to hear from anyone who
has been impacted by Barbri’s inaccessibility. This includes Virginians, as
this is a nationwide class action.

If anyone who is legally blind has either taken Barbri between April of
2014 and the present, wanted to take Barbri between April of 2014 and the
present but was deterred because you knew they were not accessible, or is
currently taking or planning to take Barbri, please get in touch with me.
You can email me at deepa_goraya at washlaw.org
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/3ocuqnqls04h/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=deepa_goraya@washlaw.org>
or call me at 202-319-1000 <(202)%20319-1000> and ask for Deepa Goraya.

Thank you.

Deepa

*Deepinder K. Goraya, ESQ.** | Staff Attorney, Disability Rights Project*

Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
<http://www.washlaw.org/>

11 Dupont Circle,NW, Suite 400 | Washington, DC  20036
202-319-1000 X132 <(202)%20319-1000> | Fax 202-319-1010 <(202)%20319-1010>

This email message is from an attorney and may contain information that is
confidential, privileged and/or attorney work product. If you are not the
intended recipient of this email, please immediately advise the sender that
this message was inadvertently transmitted to you and delete this message,
along with any attachments. Please note that if you are an attorney who
received this email about a prospective client, you must maintain the
confidences of the prospective client. Thank you for your cooperation.