[Nfbv-announce] Announcement of NFB of Virginia Board Meeting

Michael Kasey michaelgkasey at verizon.net
Sat Jul 23 21:58:21 UTC 2016

Hi Virginia Federationists:

We have planned an exciting August 6 NFB of Virginia Board of Directors
meeting.  The agenda is provided at the bottom of this message.

Highlights:

A) 2016 State Convention Planning – We want your ideas and suggestions for
programming at our 2016 NFB of Virginia State Convention in Virginia Beach.
If you have ideas for the convention including general session topics, ideas
for seminars and breakout sessions, or other recommendations, we definitely
want to hear from you. We will be breaking into small groups to brainstorm
ideas and then report back to the full board. If you cannot attend the board
meeting but want to share some ideas, please feel free to contact Michael or
Tracy with your suggestions. Our convention will be better if you contribute
to the planning.

B) Update on Programming for Transition Age Students – We will discuss where
we are related to career related programming for high school and college
students.

C) NFB of Virginia Leadership Fellows – We will discuss where we are in the
program and consider future plans including the possibility of a new class
of NFBV Leadership Fellows.

This is just a subset of the exciting work we will cover at the board
meeting. In addition, we have some fun opportunities for social time.

A)     Pre-Board Meeting Café – As mentioned in the earlier announcement, we
will be holding a social hour starting at 10:00 AM. The Virginia Association
of Blind Students (VABS) has volunteered to provide hot and cold beverages
and simple breakfast pastries. There will be a defined charge for beverages
and individuals should provide an appropriate donation for the pastries.

B)      Lunch – At this board meeting, we will be ordering pizza from a
local pizza restaurant. If you would like to partake in the pizza, Pizza
will cost $5 to be paid in cash at the meeting. Orders will be taken by
11:00 so make certain you are on time. Again, VABS will be providing
beverages for a fee.

Please plan to arrive in time to enjoy the social hour with friends from
across Virginia. Please bring cash to pay for food and beverages or bring
your own.

All are welcome to attend the Board meeting. Our meeting will be better
because you invested the time to attend and share your ideas.

Michael

Meeting of the Board of Directors

August 6, 2016

11:00 A.M. - 2:30 P.M.

Location: assembly room

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired

401 Azalea Avenue

Richmond, VA 23227

I.                    Call to Order

Roll Call and Introduction of Guests.

II.                  Secretary's Report, Jennifer Shields

Approval of Minutes from May 7, 2016 Meeting of the NFBV Board of Directors.

III.                Treasurer's Report, Mark Roane

IV.                  Report on 2016 National Convention

A.      McDonald Fellowship and Jernigan Fund Winners, Sandy Halverson;

B.      Fundraising at National Convention, Robert Parsons and Jimmie
Morris;

VI.                NFBV 2016 State Convention

A.      Dates and Location;

B.      National Representative (Pam Allen);

C.      Assistive Listening Devices, Brian McCann;

E.       Student Youth Track, Kim Valko, Robert Parsons, and Derek Manners;

F.       Friday Lunch – Brian McCann;

g. Friday and Saturday Seminars, Tracy Soforenko;

H.      Ideas for Agenda Topics;

VII.      2017 State Convention. – Brian McCann

VIII.              NFB of Virginia Leadership Fellows Program (description,
Budget and Application process) – Tracy Soforenko

IX.            Pre-Employment Transition – Tracy Soforenko

X.                Committee Updates

A.      Scholarship Committee, Chelsea cook and Brian Miller;

B.      Fundraising, Leon Anderson;

i.                    NFBV Raffle including partnering with service clubs –
Chris Walker;

iii.                Other ideas;

C.      Membership committee – Joe hobson and Mary Durbin;

D. Meet the Blind Month Activities, Holly Frisch;

D.      At-Large Chapter, Richard Holley;

E.       NFBV communication Committee – John Bailey;

F.       Newsline, John Halverson.

XI.                  National Fundraising

A.        Vehicle Donation Program, Mark Roane;

XII.         Other Business and Presidents remarks

XIII.                Date and Location of Next Meeting.  Friday, November 11
9:00 AM at the Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront, Virginia Beach VA

blindness is not what holds you back.