[Nfbv-announce] {Disarmed} National Federation of the Blind Announces 2016 Scholarship Program Finalists

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 11:35:03 UTC 2016

National Federation of the Blind Announces 2016 Scholarship Program  Finalists
Baltimore, Maryland (June 22, 2016): The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the nation’s oldest and largest organization of blind people, today announced the finalists for its 2016 Scholarship Program, which awards thirty scholarships each year to recognize achievement by blind scholars. The students are listed below in alphabetical order with their home states and vocational goals.

  a.. Tara Abella, IN: Elementary/Special Education Teacher
  b.. Justine “JJ” Aragon, CO: Rehabilitation Counseling
  c.. Deniz Aydemir-Doke, PA: Higher Education
  d.. Samrawit Biyazin, OR: Certified Public Accountant
  e.. Megan Borella, CA: Business or Information Systems
  f.. Riki Danielle Burton, KY: Teaching Blind Students
  g.. Brennan Carman, NY: Medical Research
  h.. Merry-Noel Chamberlain, NE: Higher Education
  i.. Nathan Clark, MD: Juvenile Probation Officer
  j.. Elif Emir Oksuz, OH: Mental Health Counselor
  k.. Laura Etori, NJ: Actuary
  l.. Jameyanne Fuller, NH: Law
  m.. Deanna Greco, NJ: Brain Research
  n.. Maria “Conchita” Hernandez, DC: Research
  o.. Nazanin Heydarian, TX: Medical Research
  p.. Sharon Jose, VA: Computer Science Engineer
  q.. Matthew Miller, IL: Actuary
  r.. James Garret Mooney, AZ: Law
  s.. Kathryn Olsen, IA: Physical Therapist
  t.. Chelsea Page, LA: Blind Instruction and Early Intervention
  u.. Precious Perez, MA: Professional Performer/Music Educator
  v.. Donna Posont, MI: Naturalist
  w.. Syed Rizvi, MA: Health Informatics and Data Analytics
  x.. Joe Dexter Rowell, MA: Public Interest Law
  y.. Kartik Sawhney, CA: Software Development
  z.. Kennedy Stomberg, MN: Research
  aa.. Corgan Waters, TN: Pathology
  ab.. Kathryn Webster, CT: Actuarial Science Consulting
  ac.. Kassidy Wilde, UT: Psychology
  ad.. Johna Wright, GA: Blind Education
“The scholarship program is one of our most important initiatives,” said Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. “We are proud to honor these blind scholars, who are studying everything from elementary education to software development, and in so doing raising the expectations of what blind people can achieve. Their accomplishments are proof of our conviction that we, the blind of this nation, can live the lives we want; blindness does not hold us back.”

Each finalist will attend the NFB’s seventy-sixth annual national convention, beginning June 30, in Orlando, Florida, where the Scholarship Committee will spend several days getting to know each student and then decide which scholarship (ranging in value from $3,000 to $12,000) to award each of them. The scholarship winners will then be announced at the banquet of the NFB National Convention on Tuesday, July 5.

For more information on the National Federation of the Blind Scholarship Program, visit www.nfb.org/scholarships.

###

National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States
(410) 659-9314

Unsubscribe from this mailing or unsubscribe from all future mailings.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations