[Nfbv-announce] National Federation of the Blind Comments on Secretary o f Education Nominee Betsy DeVos’ Remarks Regarding the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Christopher Vinson chrisvinson1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 11:33:48 UTC 2017

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:*Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330 <(410)%20659-9314>
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

*National Federation of the Blind Comments on Secretary of Education
Nominee Betsy DeVos’ Remarks Regarding the Individuals with Disabilities
Education Act Baltimore, Maryland (January 18, 2017):* The National
Federation of the Blind, the nation's leading advocate for the equal
education of blind students, commented today on responses given by
President-elect Donald J. Trump’s nominee for Secretary of Education,
Betsy DeVos, at her confirmation hearing yesterday regarding the
obligations of schools under the federal Individuals with Disabilities
Education Act (IDEA).

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The National Federation of the Blind believes that all blind students,
regardless of where they attend school, are entitled to equal educational
opportunities, and that the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and
its implementing regulations are clear on this point. Sadly, all too often
schools across the country fail to meet their federal obligations to the
blind and other students with disabilities, and so it is critical that the
Department of Education continues to enforce IDEA's requirements. We
therefore call upon Betsy DeVos to publicly commit that she will, if
confirmed, vigorously enforce IDEA and take all other necessary measures to
protect the rights of students who are blind or who have other disabilities
throughout our nation. As a father of two blind children and President of
the National Federation of the Blind, I am well aware that innovation is
sorely needed in educational services provided to blind children, and we
are prepared to work closely with our nation’s educational leaders to
raise the standards of excellence for the blind in our schools.â€

* ###*

*About the National Federation of the Blind*
blindness is not what holds you back.