[Nfbv-announce] Marriott Data Breach

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 00:23:20 UTC 2018

Hello,

By now you may have heard about the Marriott data breach affecting an
estimated 500 million users. The Westin we used last year for state
convention is a Marriott property through the Starwood brand, and we should
therefore exercise caution in protecting our privacy.

First, here is a link to a comprehensive Forbes article covering the story:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahertyuk/2018/11/30/marriott-breach-what
-happened-how-serious-is-it-and-who-is-impacted/#63f6e31f7d25

And here's a link to the Marriott site itself with information on the
website, call center, and WebWatcher monitoring service being offered to
affected customers:

http://news.marriott.com/2018/11/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservati
on-database-security-incident/

Technology advancements make life dramatically more convenient. Sadly, they
also leave us vulnerable to people with bad intentions. If you have
questions about the data breach, please direct them to the Marriott website
or call center specifically established for this purpose.

Regards,

Joe Orozco