[NFBV-Announce] Research Opportunity at Convention

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 11:49:20 UTC 2019

>From Annette Carr, Sponsors and Exhibits Coordinator:

The following message is from one of our Convention Exhibitors.  They are
conducting a research project that is in no way sponsored or endorsed by the
National Federation of  the Blind.

Dear attendees of the NFB of Virginia Convention,

The Ultra-Low Vision Laboratory at Johns Hopkins will be attending the
upcoming
NFB Virginia Convention 2019, and we would like to invite you to come visit
our
table in the Exhibit area on Friday, November 1st.

We will be exhibiting a new test that makes use of a virtual reality headset
to collect data on how people with very low vision use their vision.  .  The
reason we are developing this test is that we hope to learn if and how
people with extremely limited sight are still using their vision in certain
situations.  By "extremely limited" we mean that it is impossible for them
to see any letters on the  chart in the eye doctor's office, even close up.

If you or any of your loved ones have vision that fits this description and
would like to learn more about our tests and may want to participate in our
research during the convention, you don't even have to wait until the
Convention:  You can let us know ahead of time and we will be very happy to
set aside time to tell you more, and enroll you in our research if you are
interested.  Don't worry, if you decide this isn't for you once you learn
more, there is absolutely no obligation to participate.  And if  you'd
rather wait until the convention to speak with us at the exhibit table, that
is perfectly fine.  If you are interested please contact us at
akartha2 at jhmi.edu <mailto:akartha2 at jhmi.edu>  or 424-398-1727, so we can
tell you more and find a time in your schedule during the convention that
works for you.

We will be available from Thursday, October 31 starting at 12:00pm through
the end of the convention.  Let us know if you are interested in meeting
with us.  Just give us a call and we will schedule a time to meet with you.

We are looking forward to meeting everyone,

On behalf of the Ultra-Low Vision Lab team,

Arathy Kartha PhD

Post-Doctoral Fellow,

Ultra Low Vision Lab, Woods 355

School of Medicine, Dept. of Ophthalmology,

Wilmer Eye Institute,

Johns Hopkins University,

Baltimore, MD 21205

https://www.ultralowvisionlabjhu.net/