[NFBV-Announce] 2019 NFB of Virginia Highlights for Seniors

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 03:41:05 UTC 2019

This convention highlight message focuses on topics for seniors.

Seniors will benefit from a remarkable set of programs, including:

*	Embracing Our Diversity: Empowering Our Community - The National
Federation of the Blind recognizes that our diversity is a core strength.
This Friday afternoon lunch, featuring Jean Brown as our keynote, will
feature the stories from across the Virginia Federation Family and will
discuss ways we can make our community more inclusive and vibrant.
*	Owning Your Finances Friday Afternoon Seminar - From financial scams
to strategic budgeting, from buying a home to building your retirement fund.
Come learn how to secure your financial future.
*	Seniors Possibilities Fair - Have you stopped reading the newspaper
or books, writing checks or other correspondence, or completing other tasks
that require vision?  If the answer is yes to any of the above, join us on
Friday afternoon to learn about low- or no-cost solutions to these and other
aspects of your daily life.
*	Public Meeting on DBVI Divisions, Programs and Services - We are
grateful that DBVI will hold a public meeting where attendees can ask
questions and speak with agency leadership. DBVI wants to hear from you so
come and share your thoughts and ideas on how DBVI can better meet the needs
of blind and low vision Virginians.  Let your voice be heard.
*	Convention Friday Night Hospitality Hosted by the Tidewater and
Peninsula Chapters.
*	Open Doors and New Beginnings-The Future Really Is Mine:  A Saturday
morning Panel Discussion with Seniors Who Are Living the Lives They Want
*	Seniors Division Luncheon and Business meeting, - Join other seniors
for this Saturday lunch and conversation, followed by a short business
meeting.
*	Senior Track: Seniors in Charge- Our exciting Saturday afternoon
senior seminar will cover a broad range of topics including health and
fitness, grocery shopping, new mobile phone options specifically targeting
seniors, how to use easy to use reader services through a smartphone,
programs of our national senior division, and much more.

*	The Saturday Evening Banquet is a highlight of the convention
featuring an inspiring address from National Federation of the Blind Second
Vice President, Ron Brown.
*	Breaking the ropes: an interactive Sunday morning session on owning
your future, facilitated by Joanne Wilson. This interactive session will
help to build your individual beliefs about blindness for future growth.
*	Federation Town Hall with Ron Brown and Tracy Soforenko

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Convention combines
excellent networking with positive blind role models, fellowship with old
and new friends across the Commonwealth, and some of the best presentations
on topics important to the blind of Virginia

You will want to act today to book your hotel reservation and pre-register
for the lowest prices.

Details on convention registration and hotel reservations can be found at:

http://www.nfbv.org/convention/

We hope you make hotel reservations and pre-register so you can join us in
Portsmouth on November 1-3.

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

 <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com> Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

 <http://www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org

 <http://www.nfbv.org> www.nfbv.org

National Federation of the Blind. Live the Life You Want