[NFBV-Announce] 2019 NFBV Convention Highlights for Students and Parents

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 03:22:29 UTC 2019

This convention highlight message focuses on topics for students and
parents.

Please note that October 8 is the deadline for our hotel room block and for
discounted pre-registration pricing.

*	Friday Night Student Dinner Party- Join the Virginia student
division leaders and members for fellowship with old and new friends to kick
off the convention weekend. Open and free to all students over the age of
14.
*	Student Meet & Greet- If you are a student of any age, this evening
item is for you! Think interactive icebreakers, engaging discussion, and
high energy programming all in one session! Join students across the
Commonwealth to share, learn, and grow until late hours of the evening.
*	Friday evening Cookie Social for Families of Blind Children- Calling
all blind kids ages 0-13, siblings and parents!  Join us for cookies and
drinks and a chance to meet other families from across the state.  Bring any
Braille or large print books your child no longer needs and pick up some
free books from our free Braille book exchange table.  (Email
bsellers31 at gmail.com with questions and any food allergies we need to be
aware of.)

Saturday Morning General Session Presentation - Advocating for Our Children:
Addressing Our Kid's Needs. Beth Sellers, President, Virginia Organization
of Parents of Blind Children.

Saturday Virginia Parents of Blind Children Luncheon and Business Meeting-

Grab the boxed lunch or bring your own, but please join us for our business
meeting and parents lunch.  Our lunch hour is an informal roundtable
conversation for parents of children of all ages with low vision, blindness,
deaf-blindness, and multiple disabilities.

*	Saturday Student Luncheon and Virginia Association of Blind Students
Business Meeting- Students are the leaders of tomorrow. During our annual
luncheon, our members will elect the officers and board members for the
upcoming year, as well as reflect and brainstorm on the work of our
statewide division. Preregister online for the $8 lunch by October 25.

*	Saturday Afternoon Student Seminar: Surpassing Our Limitations -
Every blind student faces barriers; and every blind student overcomes
obstacles. But not every blind student has a nationwide network of role
models who conquered greatness given society's limitations. During this
seminar, you will be introduced to successful and ambitious blind
professionals and students, confident and independent throughout their
lives. This afternoon will afford all students with an opportunity to ask
questions, learn from others, and engage in hands-on activities to learn how
to excel in and out of the classroom.

*	Saturday Afternoon Parent Track: Encouraging Success in All Ages and
Stages - Join us as we dig into resources that are available in Virginia to
promote success for blind children and young adults in all stages of
development.  Topics discussed will include IEPs, Transition, and Community
Based Services through DD Waiver.

*
*	Project RISE Open House for Virginia students and parents - Learn
more about Project RISE, meet our team and ask your questions.
*	 The Saturday Evening Banquet is a highlight of the convention
featuring an inspiring address from National Federation of the Blind Second
Vice President, Ron Brown.

The National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Convention combines
excellent networking with positive blind role models, fellowship with old
and new friends across the Commonwealth, and some of the best presentations
on topics important to the blind of Virginia

You will want to act today to book your hotel reservation and pre-register
for the lowest prices.

Details on convention registration and hotel reservations can be found at:

http://www.nfbv.org/convention/

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

 <mailto:Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com> Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

 <http://www.nfb.org> www.nfb.org

 <http://www.nfbv.org> www.nfbv.org

National Federation of the Blind. Live the Life You Want