[NFBV-Announce] Sad News about Brian Miller

tracy.soforenko at gmail.com tracy.soforenko at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 01:15:57 UTC 2020

>From Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

Today, we lost a true friend and inspiring leader in the National Federation of the Blind. This afternoon, after over 2 weeks in intensive care, Brian Miller passed away from COVID-19. Brian has been a role model and mentor to so many members of our organization, including myself. Many of the major recent accomplishments of the Virginia affiliate are built on insights from Brian including the Project RISE program, the expanded college scholarship program, the chapter leadership development program, the hosting of the 2018 National Federation of the Blind convention, and the efforts to invigorate chapters with engaging new programming.

Brian brought creativity, humor and energy to all aspects of our work but also warmth and friendship to his interaction with everyone. Brian made me think creatively, read better books, plan better vacations, and believe in myself and what we could accomplish together.

We are heartbroken by this news and hope we can be together soon to console each other. As memorial plans are determined, we will keep people posted.

During this difficult time, I also wanted to share additional thoughts from Bonnie O’Day, and Brian's family included below:

 From Bonnie O’Day

It is with profound sadness that I tell you that Brian Miller passed away
today at 12:55 PM from the COVID-19 virus. He was hospitalized in Alexandria
Hospital about three weeks ago and valiantly fought the virus. Brian was a
friend, a mentor, a colleague, a beautiful singer and a true leader in the
Federation. He established the Greater Alexandria Chapter of the NFB and
served as its President for two years. He made sure the chapter was on
strong footing through his mentorship of the chapter's current leadership.
We all remember the productive, yet fun, meetings in his party room and the
informal gatherings afterward in his apartment.  Our hearts go out to all of
Brian's family and friends. We will all miss him.

I received the following note from the family.
Son, brother, friend and beloved Brian Miller passed today, Monday April 13
at 12:55 PM in Alexandria. Brian was so many things to so many people:
mentor, colleague, confidant, and much more...he put into words and song
what he felt about parting, love, and loss. This video is from his
grandmother's funeral. And may it give us all strength now.
https://youtu.be/_KcFiaQ5bcs
Rest in peace, Brian Miller.

--

Sharon Appel