[NFBV-Announce] {Spam?} BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND: VRCBVI Virtual Trainings - Fall 2020

Melody Roane melody.roane at dbvi.virginia.gov
Mon Sep 7 11:30:02 UTC 2020

  *VRCBVI is pleased to offer a new lineup of virtual training
opportunities Mondays through Thursdays throughout Fall 2020!*

We are excited about this upcoming schedule of events!  All sessions are
open to anyone and free of charge.  Each training will begin at 1:00 pm
(login as early as 12:45) and will end no later than 3:00 pm.  At the end
of the list of virtual training opportunities below, you will find a link
to the registration form.  Please review and select classes you would like
to attend, and then tell us about yourself near the bottom of the
registration form. You will receive a confirmation email with login/call in
information for each class you select.  If you have any questions about the
registration process or the virtual training series, please contact Greg
Chittum at 804-371-3204 or greg.chittum at dbvi.virginia.gov.

*Friday In-Depth Training Series*

In addition to our Monday through Thursday Virtual Trainings, VRCBVI is
also pleased to offer specific, in-depth classes on Friday afternoons as
part of our new  Friday In-Depth Training Series.  As opposed to our
Virtual Trainings, which are single events, Friday In-Depth Training
Series classes
meet for multiple sessions, and are meant to give students and instructors
more time to delve into the topics presented. They will meet on Friday
afternoons from either 1pm to 3pm or 3pm to 5pm.  Please look out for more
information about this series to come in a separate email soon!

*VRCBVI Virtual Trainings - Fall 2020Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and
Thursdays *

*September 14 to November 24*

*Monday, September 14* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)

*Stress Management 101 *
Learn how stress affects your health and how to avoid letting it negatively
affect your life!  Join us for some interactive stress management exercises.
Presenter: Kim Ladd, Diabetes/Health Educator

*Tuesday, September 15 *- 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 mins)
*Accessing Learning Management Systems*

Are you virtually attending, teaching or assisting in online schooling?  If
so, join us as we take a dive into the most commonly used learning
management systems such as Blackboard, Canvas, SeeSaw, and Google
Classroom. Come learn tips and tricks to navigate these platforms, as well
as provide some thoughts on what might be done if these platforms are truly
not accessible to screen reader users.
Presenter: Mike Fish, Lead Technology Instructor

*Wednesday, September 16 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*2-Hour Job Search*
Yep, 2 hours. In this overview of Steve Dalton's book, we will discuss how
to prioritize employers to pursue, contact them efficiently, and convince
them that you are a good fit for their next hire.
https://2hourjobsearch.com/
Presenter: Greg Chittum, Coordinator for Community Engagement

*Thursday, September 17* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Using a Cane and a Guide Dog: How You Can Have a 2 Car Household*
Come get the scoop on the pros and cons of getting a guide dog, the ins and
outs of the application process, and learn more about life after graduating
with your dog. This is a great opportunity to find out how your cane fits
into your working partnership with your guide dog.
Presenter: Domonique Lawless, Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Certified Teacher of Blind Students

*Monday, September 21* - 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 mins)
*Pick Your Parachute: An Introduction to Job Hunting*
“What Color Is Your Parachute?” may sound like a silly question, but it’s
one you’ll want to answer, whether you’re hunting for a job, changing
careers, or looking for a new perspective on the work you do now. Join us
to find out more about the approach recommended by the most popular
job-hunting manual in the world.
Presenter: Joanne Wiggins, Adult Basic Education Instructor

*Tuesday, September 22 *- 1:00 to 2:00 pm (1 hour)
*Do I Still Need Braille If I Can See Some Things?*
Although this answer looks different for everyone, we’re going to talk
about how you can learn Braille as a person with residual vision, ways
Braille can be useful in your life, and how you can be a successful Braille
reader even if you didn’t learn it as a child.
Presenter: Domonique Lawless, Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Certified Teacher of Blind Students

*Wednesday, September 23* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Conversations About Blindness Series - What Does It Mean To Accept One's
Blindness?*
“Acceptance is the first step to freedom.”  Join us as we hear from three
panelists who will share powerful stories of how they became blind during
various stages of life and took steps to “live the lives they imagined.”
Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

*Thursday, September 24* - 1:00 to 2:15 pm (1 hour 15 mins)

*Budgeting and Personal Finance*
What are some of the most common financial terms and what do these terms
mean?  After knowing these terms, how can you apply them in your everyday
life to keep yourself on a budget?  This seminar is designed to highlight
some of the basics of personal finance.

Presenter: Michael Triplett, Personal and Home Management Instructor

*Monday, October 5 *- 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour and 30 minutes)
*Finding Your Voice: Low-Stress Ways to Improve Your Writing*
Writing is a vital skill, and one that lots of people stress over.
Becoming a better writer doesn’t mean forcing yourself to use fancy words
and a formal tone, or struggling to always say things “the right way”
(whatever that is). The best way to improve as a writer is learning to
sound more like yourself.
Presenter: Joanne Wiggins, Adult Basic Education Instructor

*Tuesday, October 6* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)

*Orbiting Literacy*
The portable yet robust Orbit braille display can be a powerful tool in the
hands of a student or professional.  Bring your Orbit Reader 20 or 20+ and
learn how you can access digital Braille, whether it be from your
smartphone, notes you took on the go, or the latest New York Times best
seller you just downloaded.

Presenters: Domonique Lawless, Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Certified Teacher of Blind Students, and Mike Fish, Lead Technology
Instructor

*Wednesday, October 7* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Conversations About Blindness Series - Blind Parents: Who Is Responsible
for Whom?*
Get advice and learn the tricks of the trade from parents who have been
there, done that, and from parents who are currently in the trenches
raising young children.  You will also hear from sighted individuals who
were raised by blind parents.  This lively discussion will be full of funny
stories, heartwarming moments, and perspectives that will challenge
misconceptions.
Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

*Thursday, October 8 *- 1:00 to 2:15 pm (1 hour 15 mins)
*Organizing With Zing*
What are some of the low cost techniques you could use as a blind person to
label items and keep your home well organized? How can you use these
techniques to help you keep better track of items and reduce stress because
you cannot locate something?  This seminar is designed to assist you by
giving you suggestions on various methods for labeling around your home.
Presenter: Michael Triplett, Personal and Home Management Instructor

*Monday, October 12 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Diabetes 101*
What is diabetes?  How do I manage it?  Why should I manage it?  Bring your
questions and join us for an interactive overview of diabetes.
Presenter: Kim Ladd, Diabetes/Health Educator

*Tuesday, October 13 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Juicy Update Or Rotten Roll Out?  What’s New in iOS 14 for Blind & Low
Vision Users*
Oh, no!  Yet another update!  Is it worth it?  Come learn what’s new for
VoiceOver users of iOS devices. How has this latest update improved your
access to everyday tasks?  What new features or frustrations have they come
out with now?  You can determine whether this Apple update is ripe and
juicy with helpful tools, or has fallen far from the tree, turned rotten,
and is full of bugs.

*Wednesday, October 14 *- 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Volunteering as a Job Seeker With Vision Loss - Why It's a Must-Do*
You've read the 2-Hour Job Search and are implementing its strategies to
run an efficient job search.  What should you do with the rest of your
time? Volunteer!  We will discuss why volunteering is so powerful for job
seekers, particularly job seekers who are blind or vision impaired, and
list strategies and resources to locate volunteer opportunities.
Presenters: Greg Chittum, Coordinator for Community Engagement, and Kris
Foley, VRCBVI Case Manager

*Thursday, October 15* - 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)

*Knowing When Orientation and Mobility is Right For You *
Join our guest speakers as they share their experiences about making the
decision to learn cane travel and how that decision impacted their lives.
Presenter: Domonique Lawless, Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Certified Teacher of Blind Students

*Monday, October 19* - 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Writing Your Way to a Job: Getting a Handle on Those (Yikes) Cover Letters
and (Gulp) Thank You Notes*
Your resume needs a cover letter; you’ve got to send your interviewer a
note. Your fingers hover over the keyboard, but your mind is blank. Join us
for some honest-to-gosh specific, practical advice, and you’ll soon be
typing away.
Presenter: Joanne Wiggins, Adult Basic Education Instructor

*Tuesday, October 20* - 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Knowing the Braille Code and Making it Work in Your Life*
Whether you are on the job, a student, or just learning Braille, learn how
to incorporate Braille into your routine to improve your efficiency and
speed up daily tasks.
Presenters: Domonique Lawless, Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Certified Teacher of Blind Students, and Mike Fish, Lead Technology
Instructor

*Wednesday, October 21* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Conversations About Blindness Series - Blindness Stereotypes: Fact or
Fiction *
Can blind people really sing better, hear better, or do they really count
their steps everywhere they go?  In this session, the experts (the blind
themselves) will unlock the truth about blindness from an insider’s
perspective.  Come learn how someone else’s opinion does not have to become
your reality.
Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

*Thursday, October 22 *- 1:00 to 2:00 pm (1 hour)
*Where’s the Milk? *
Strategies for organizing a shared space.  Organization within a home
environment is vital for individuals who are blind or vision impaired.  How
do you develop an organizational system in a space that is shared with
sighted housemates?  In this seminar, we will explore the importance of
working with family members to create consistent, agreed upon structure in
the home.
Presenter: Dave Fuller, Personal and Home Management Instructor

*Monday, October 26* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Diabetes Meal Planning Overview*
I have diabetes, so I can't eat sweets, right? Join us for an overview of
diabetes meal planning that includes the foods you love.

Presenter: Kim Ladd, Diabetes/Health Educator

*Tuesday, October 27* - 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Python Basics *
Scared of snakes?  Well, when a snake becomes software things get worse.
Come and learn how to wrangle a snake and do some Python coding.  Using a
screen reader, notepad, and a windows computer, you can start writing small
computer programs in Python.
Presenter: Mike Villafane, Technology Instructor

*Wednesday, October 28 *- 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Daring Greatly*
One thing is certain: job searching definitely makes us feel vulnerable.
In order to reach our goals, we must embrace and overcome our vulnerable
feelings. In this session, we will discuss some of author Brené Brown's
thoughts about why vulnerability is a strength, and how this concept
applies to the job search process.  https://brenebrown.com/books-audio/
Presenters: Kris Foley, VRCBVI Case Manager, and Greg Chittum, Coordinator
for Community Engagement

*Thursday, October 29* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Discovering Freedom with the Long White Cane*
What is the long white cane’s purpose?  How do I know if I am ready for a
long white cane?  Why would I ever want to use one?  What will my friends
and family think if I used a cane?  Come join us for a lively discussion
highlighting the long white cane and the freedom it provides.
Presenters: Becky Keller, Lead Orientation and Mobility Instructor, and
Jimmy Morris, Orientation and Mobility Instructor (DBVI Richmond Regional
Office)

*Monday, November 2 *- 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Blast from the Past: Free, Accessible, (Almost) No Tech Entertainment *
If you can search the net or click a link, you can enjoy thousands of hours
of 100% descriptive audio entertainment from the finest actors, musicians,
writers, comedians, historians, and sports announcers . . . of the good old
days. Yes, it’s radio—golden age, vintage, old time broadcasts—and all of
it’s free. Come check it out—you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Presenter: Joanne Wiggins, Adult Basic Education Instructor

*Tuesday, November 3 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Device Showcase *
With so many great Braille displays on the market, choosing the right one
can be somewhat challenging.  Join us to learn about some of the latest
Braille technology and find out what some of the new displays have to offer.
Presenters: Domonique Lawless, Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Certified Teacher of Blind Students, and Mike Fish, Lead Technology
Instructor

*Wednesday, November 4* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Conversations About Blindness Series - Consumer Organizations of the
Blind:  Advocating for the Right of the Blind to Live In the World *
The American Council of the Blind and the National Federation of the Blind
are the leading organizations made up of blind individuals who strongly
promote opportunities for blind people to pursue their dreams and achieve
their goals.  In this session, we will learn about the activities and
programs of these organizations and how one can become involved.
Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

*Thursday, November 5 *- 1:00 to 2:00 pm (1 hour)
*That’s a Splenda Idea!!*
More and more people are looking for healthy food options. In this seminar,
we will explore ways of eating healthier and various types of food
substitutions. What is high fructose corn syrup? What are the benefits of a
lactose free diet? What can I use instead of all-purpose flour when baking
a cake?  Join us for some exciting tips on healthier cooking.

Presenter: Dave Fuller, Personal and Home Management Instructor

*Monday, November 9 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Medication Management *
An interactive discussion on independently managing your medications with
low/no vision.  Join the conversation to share ideas and learn about
resources, technology, and tips to help decrease medication errors.
Presenter: Kim Ladd, Diabetes/Health Educator

*Tuesday, November 10 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Getting Down with Google Suite *
Dig into Drive, dive in to Docs, and soar with the Slides! Travel through
the Google Suite of applications with your screen reader. Whether it’s
jumping around with JAWS, navigating with NVDA or cruising with ChromeVox,
learn how the Google Suite can work for you.
Presenter: Mike Fish, Lead Technology Instructor

*Wednesday, November 11* - 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Presence*
According to her website, Harvard lecturer Amy Cuddy "speaks about how we
can become more present, influential, compassionate, brave, and satisfied
in our professional and personal lives."  In this session, we will apply
some of her ideas about nonverbal behavior and "ways in which people can
affect their own thoughts, feelings (and) performance" to the job search
process for people with vision loss.  https://www.amycuddy.com/
Presenters: Greg Chittum, Coordinator for Community Engagement, and Kris
Foley, VRCBVI Case Manager

*Thursday, November 12 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Advocating and Communicating With Friends, Family, and Society When
Traveling, or in Everyday Interactions*
This discussion dives into the importance of advocating for oneself and
communicating with others in a variety of life situations, whether it be
gathering information to find a local business, giving directions to a
rideshare driver, or talking to loved ones to get them to understand that
you need your cane wherever you travel.  Join us as we discuss strategies
and ideas for confident communication.  Presenter: Becky Keller, Lead
Orientation and Mobility Instructor

*Monday, November 16* - 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Ditch the Gumption If You Want to Get Hired: Job Hunting Advice from
Alison Green *
If you’re familiar with Alison Green’s Ask a Manager
<https://www.askamanager.org/> website, chances are you’re already a fan of
her constructive, humane guidance for surviving and thriving at work, as
well as her plentiful (and practical!) job hunting tips. Join us for an
introduction to her book, “How to Get a Job: Secrets of a Hiring Manager.”
Presenter: Joanne Wiggins, Adult Basic Education

*Tuesday, November 17 *- 1:00 to 2:30 pm (1 hour 30 minutes)
*Making Board Games Accessible*
Game night with family and friends has never been easier with off the shelf
accessible games, accessibility kits, and simple things you can do to play
traditional board or card games with others. Join in the discussion and
learn tips and tricks for making your favorite games accessible.

Presenter: Domonique Lawless, Orientation and Mobility Instructor and
Certified Teacher of Blind Students

*Wednesday, November 18 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Conversations About Blindness Series - How To Prepare for College Success
as a Blind Student*
This session is designed for blind and vision-impaired high school students
who are planning to go to college.  You will hear from blind and
vision-impaired individuals who just recently graduated from college and
who are young professionals and employed in various careers.  Learn the
secrets to their success, what worked well for them, and what they would
have done differently.
Panel Moderator: Melody Roane, VRCBVI Director

*Thursday, November 19* - 1:00 to 2:15 pm (1 hour 15 minutes)
*Helpful Hints for Happy Holidays*
In this fun presentation, we will hear stories about how blind individuals
can take an active role in holiday festivities and traditions.  We will
share favorite recipes and talk about how to host fabulous holiday
get-togethers. Can a blind person actually decorate a Christmas tree?  Wrap
gifts? Learn how to do all these tasks and more.
Presenter: Michael Triplett, Personal Home Management Instructor

*Monday, November 23* - 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Stress Management – Holiday Edition *
Before the rush of the holiday season begins, take some time to relax.
Learn some stress management techniques to help calm you down when the
season becomes stressful.
Presenter: Kim Ladd, Diabetes/Health Educator

*Tuesday, November 24 *- 1:00 to 3:00 pm (2 hours)
*Accessible Entertainment*
Are you tired of hearing a laugh track but never able to catch the joke?
Wondering what’s being demolished when the explosions occur? Join us in
this presentation to learn about the latest in accessible entertainment.
We’ll be demonstrating accessible devices and streaming services that
provide audio description.
Presenters: Mike Fish, Lead Technology Instructor, and Domonique Lawless,
Orientation and Mobility Instructor and Certified Teacher of Blind Students

Use this link to register for VRCBVI Virtual Trainings!
<https://www.formrouter.net/forms@VRCB/VRCBVIVirtualTrainingsFall2020.html>

Melody L. Roane, Director

Virginia Rehabilitation Center for the Blind and Vision Impaired, Virginia
Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired

401 Azalea Avenue, Richmond, VA  23227

Melody.Roane at dbvi.virginia.gov

Phone: (804) 371-3323 | Fax: (804) 371-3092

Facebook: facebook.org/VDBVI <https://www.facebook.com/VDBVI>

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/VDBVI
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/virginia-department-for-the-blind-and-vision-impaired>

www.vrcbvi.org <http://www.vdbvi.org/>

*NOTICE:* This email (including any attachments) may include confidential
information. It is intended solely for the individuals or entities to which
it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, distribution or
use of it is prohibited. Please notify the sender and permanently delete it
from your email system. Also, given the nature of electronic mail and its
potential to carry computer viruses, the Department of the Blind and Vision
Impaired and the sender in no way warrant a virus free transmission. You
and your organization should use appropriate means to check this email and
any attachments for potential viruses and to prevent their execution.