[NFBV-Announce] Hugs, smiles and zoom!

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 02:15:04 UTC 2021

Hey NFB  Family and Friends,

I  hope everyone had a  good week and got out in the sunshine! Please be
safe while you are having fun.  The transition from our Chapter Meetings
happening on zoom to happening in person, is this month.  Please read the
Chapter Meeting section to be sure you know where to go.

If you would like to have your meeting spotlighted or have any additions to
the weekly email, please get the information to me no later than 5:00 PM on
the Friday before the first Sunday you'd like to post.  Thank you.

Kudos Corner.

William "T" Jones  has had a  significant  improvement to his health!  His
kidney functions have improved so much, he has been able to get off of
Dialysis.  T  we are so very happy for you and your family!  Keep up the
great work and keep getting stronger and your NFB Family will keep sending
our healing thoughts, love, and prayers.

Let's welcome the newest member of our NFB Family, Brianna Murray. Brianna
will be our RISE  Coordinator. Welcome, welcome to the Family Brianna.

Spotlight On.

Everybody is welcome to join the diversity, equity and inclusion committee
for an open meeting this Tuesday, August 3, 2021 from 7 PM to 8:30 PM
Eastern time.  We have an exciting evening in store with three speakers from
our national center diversity, equity and inclusion subcommittees.  We will
be focusing on the  Latino-Hispanic, Pacific Islander and Asian
subcommittees.

Elizabeth "Liz" Campos Orientation and Mobility Instructor NOMC.

Elizabeth Campos is 35 years old and works as an orientation and mobility
instructor for the Society for the  Blind in Sacramento. She is certified to
teach on a national level and has been working in the blindness
rehabilitation field for over 10 years. During her tenure Ms. Campos has
worked diligently to ensure that blind Spanish speakers have access to
programs that are relevant to the Hispanic/Latinex population. MS. Campos's
work helps diminish blindness to a mere inconvenience, a message that she
invokes both personally and professionally.

Cannon Shantan.

Shannon Cantan was born on the big Island of Hawaii to a Hawaiian and
Portuguese mother and Filipino father, Shannon grew up with five other
siblings in a rural part of The big Island, at age 19 Shannon moved to
Boston and back to Hawaii and is now currently living in Philadelphia,
Shannon is a standup comedian who has a regular day job to help fund his
dream of one day not working.

Deepa Goraya is a Public Rights Project Fellow in the Office of the Delaware
Attorney General.

Deepa is working in the Division of Civil Rights and Public Trust and with
the Director of Impact Litigation to address civil rights abuses by
developing pattern and practice discrimination investigations and litigation
in the areas of public accommodations, disability rights, employment
discrimination, voting rights, fair housing, education, consumer fraud,
redlining/discriminatory lending, and other areas.  Prior to this, Ms.
Goraya worked as a Staff Attorney at Disability Rights Maryland on the
ADA/DD/Medicaid Team, where she represented individuals with disabilities in
administrative hearings to obtain and maintain support services such as home
and community based services through Medicaid 1915(c) waivers, Maryland's
Community First Choice program, REM nursing, and in-home aid services.

Renee Valdez will be our meeting facilitator; she is part of the diversity,
equity and inclusion committee here in Virginia. There will be a question
period for the panelists and audience participation.

So, please be sure to join us for this event. We will be using the Virginia
zoom link provided below, or the phone number with the access code.

Chris Walker, President  Winchester Chapter

chrisvinson1 at gmail.com <mailto:chrisvinson1 at gmail.com>

540.303.0080

The Greater Williamsburg Chapter will have Bill Caruso, DBVI, as a  speaker.
He will discuss advancements in technology and accessibility for the blind.

The Tidewater Chapter will have Roger Behm, Owner, Adaptive Information
Systems, a  dealer for Humanware, as a  speaker.  He will be talking about
assistive  Technology.

Many of our Chapters are meeting in person, please check the Chapter
Meetings section to join in a   meeting.  All meetings are open to the
public.    Chapters and Divisions are using the Affiliate Zoom link, if a
meeting is using an alternate platform, the phone number or instructions to
join will follow the meeting name.

Here's how to join:

Zoom Link https://zoom.us/j/8297256345?pwd=SFAyamlQNU44ZTJ6dUZNMTV4RmhCQT09

One tap mobile
 <tel:%20+13017158592,,8297256345> tel: +13017158592,,8297256345#
Telephone Dial: 1 (301) 715-8592

Meeting ID: 829 725 6345#

If needed the password is 20201940

Chapter and Division Meetings

At Large Tuesday, August 10th,  8  pm  conference call number  877-394-5901
meeting id   :6149670

Potomac August 12th Thursday 7  PM. St. George's, Episcopal Church, 915
North Oakland Street, Arlington, 22203.

Greater Williamsburg Thursday August 19th  6  pm. Center Street Grill, 5101
Center Street, Williamsburg,23188.

Fairfax Thursday August 19th 7  pm

Fredericksburg Saturday August 21st 10 am

Winchester Saturday,  August 21st 10:00 AM. Solenberger's True Value
Hardware, 832 Berryville Avenue, Winchester,  22601.  Call in number is
978-990-5395. The meeting id number is 1566808.

Peninsula Saturday August 21st 11:00 am.  Conference call number
605-475-4825  meeting id 549778

Prince William  August 21st Saturday, 1:00 PM.  Bar Louie, 15001 Potomac
Town Place, Woodbridge  VA 22191.  Call in number is 605-313-5562.  The
passcode is 293383.

Tidewater Saturday  August 21st 1:30 PM (1:00 lunch start) . Bangkok
Gardens, 417 West 21st Street, Norfolk 23517.

Seniors Division, Wednesday August 25th , 7:00 pm

Greater Alexandria Thursday August 26th  7  pm

Chesapeake Bay Saturday August 28th 11 am. Gus and George's Spaghetti and
Steak House, 4312 Virginia Beach Blvd., Va. Beach, zip  23456. Conf. call
phone num. 605 468 8758  and the access code is 197498.

Richmond Monday August 23rd 6:30 PM.

Your smile, hug, or kind word can make a  difference in someone's world,
make a  difference this week.

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want