[NFBV-Announce] Day 24 Black History Month

jackibruce6 at gmail.com jackibruce6 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 19:06:14 UTC 2021

Hey NFB Family and Friends,

I  hope everyone is enjoying the stories of notable African American's
throughout this, Black History Month.  The President of the Black
Empowerment Committee is Andre Hill.  If you have a  moment, please contact
him or send your gold stars and smiley faces to me and I'll pass them  on to
the Committee.  They have been doing a  great job and we should let them
know how much we appreciate each of them.

Here's day 24.

Rebecca Lee Crumpler challenged the prejudice that prevented African
Americans from pursuing careers in medicine to became the first African
American woman in the United States to earn an M.D. degree, a distinction
formerly credited to Rebecca Cole.

Although little has survived to tell the story of Crumpler's life, she has
secured her place in the historical record with her book of medical advice
for women and children, published in 1883.

Crumpler was born in 1831 in Delaware, to Absolum Davis and Matilda Webber.
An aunt in Pennsylvania, who spent much of her time caring for sick
neighbors and may have influenced her career choice, raised her.

By 1852 she had moved to Charlestown, Massachusetts, where she worked as a
nurse for the next eight years (because the first formal school for nursing
only opened in 1873, she was able to perform such work without any formal
training).

In 1860, she was admitted to the New England Female Medical College. When
she graduated in 1864, Crumpler was the first African American woman in the
United States to earn an M.D. degree, and the only African American woman to
graduate from the New England Female Medical College, which closed in 1873.

She published a book entitled, "Book of Medical Discourses" in 1883.

She died March 9th, 1895.

Her legacy includes but are not limited to: The Rebecca Lee Society, one of
the first medical societies for African-American women. Her home on Joy
Stret is currently a stop on the Boston Women's Heritage Trail. In 2019,
Virginia Governor Ralph Northam declared March 30 (National Doctors Day) the
Dr. Rebecca Lee Crumpler Day. Syracuse University  has a pre-health club
named "The Rebecca Lee Pre-Health Society", which encourages people of
diverse backgrounds to pursue health professions.

Submitted by: Corlis Jones

Peace,

Jacki Bruce

 <mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com> mailto:jackibruce6 at gmail.com
 <tel:(757)291-1789> tel:(757)291-1789
 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org
 <http://www.nfbv.org/> www.nfbv.org

together to help blind people live the lives they want